AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at IDF and they have an xbox 360. I didnt take any pictures but anandtech has taken some. HD cable has component connection as you all know, it also has digital audio coax cable.


check out anandtech

Akshay
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
"it also has digital audio coax cable. "


so the optical cable is included now? or is it just the connection.


what about the $299 package?


Or is the optical connection directly on the unit like the PS2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alczervik2
i think its the composite video conncetion
I was under the same impression. It makes sense considering that the digital audio connection is likely to be more distant than a person's component video connection resulting in the coaxial audio cable being useless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Might be just my eyesight but on these high res pics, it looks to me that the optical out is on the upper part (in the pics) of the connector. If it is, interesting that it's available with all three wire combinations shown.


And damn right I'm getting the faceplate with the flames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,000 Posts
That yellow cable connection certainly seems to be just composite video, not coaxial digital audio. I haven't seen any shots of the back of the box, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the X-Box just having a digital optical port directly on the box, i.e. without use of a break-out cable. The PS2 went this route last generation, after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainodo
Might be just my eyesight but on these high res pics, it looks to me that the optical out is on the upper part (in the pics) of the connector. If it is, interesting that it's available with all three wire combinations shown.


And damn right I'm getting the faceplate with the flames.
I agree, if you look closely at the connector that attaches to the console adjacent to the cable that leads to all your RCA plugs looks to be the optical out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Ok, I had a question about this as well that i recently posted on another thread. The digital audio on the X360? Ok here is a picture of the HD-AV Cables: HD-AV Cables . In this picture you can clearly make out 6 wires: RGB for the component video and Yellow, White, Red for the COMPOSITE connection (remember: M$ said the the X360 will be able to be displayed on standard and HDTV out of the box). Well, I don't see any audio connectors what so ever.


Looking at the back of the console here , we see the A/V input and the I/O connector (ethernet etc). There is no optical output on the console for sound as far as I can see. So, the only solution left is that there is a digital coax cable (somewhere) that gets sent to the ~30 pin A/V connector. I hope this is part of the HD-AV cables. M$ has said it is, but I don't see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,715 Posts
If you buy the $400 premium package, not the $299 core system, MS will be correct: You will be ready for HD and regular TV out of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealty
Ok, I had a question about this as well that i recently posted on another thread. The digital audio on the X360? Ok here is a picture of the HD-AV Cables: HD-AV Cables . In this picture you can clearly make out 6 wires: RGB for the component video and Yellow, White, Red for the COMPOSITE connection (remember: M$ said the the X360 will be able to be displayed on standard and HDTV out of the box). Well, I don't see any audio connectors what so ever.


Looking at the back of the console here , we see the A/V input and the I/O connector (ethernet etc). There is no optical output on the console for sound as far as I can see. So, the only solution left is that there is a digital coax cable (somewhere) that gets sent to the ~30 pin A/V connector. I hope this is part of the HD-AV cables. M$ has said it is, but I don't see it.
The red and white cables are for analog audio, which will work for both composite and component video connections. The console design could be preliminary, so the back layout isn't necessarily finalized. It looks as if Microsoft might sell digital audio cables separately in the form of mini-to-optical and/or mini-to-coaxial. You can see something like a mini connector on the actual cables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Look at the high resolution shots, the optical out is on the portion of the cable that plugs into the console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealty
Ok, I had a question about this as well that i recently posted on another thread. The digital audio on the X360? Ok here is a picture of the HD-AV Cables: HD-AV Cables . In this picture you can clearly make out 6 wires: RGB for the component video and Yellow, White, Red for the COMPOSITE connection (remember: M$ said the the X360 will be able to be displayed on standard and HDTV out of the box). Well, I don't see any audio connectors what so ever.


Looking at the back of the console here , we see the A/V input and the I/O connector (ethernet etc). There is no optical output on the console for sound as far as I can see. So, the only solution left is that there is a digital coax cable (somewhere) that gets sent to the ~30 pin A/V connector. I hope this is part of the HD-AV cables. M$ has said it is, but I don't see it.
I'm not sure if you noticed, but even the original xbox didn't have have a digital audio cable in the HD Pack. Nor do any DVD player or or device with digital audio connections. :) However, it did have an optical port on the HD pack (as does the Advance AV pack). The pictures of the 360 cables all have an optical port on the opposite end of the cable. It's up to you to get the digital optical cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santori_time
Look at the high resolution shots, the optical out is on the portion of the cable that plugs into the console.
Ditto. I question wether it is a Toslink connection or will there need to be an adapter like with my Monster cables? Not sure of the name for the Toslink to miniplug thingy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb
Ditto. I question wether it is a Toslink connection or will there need to be an adapter like with my Monster cables? Not sure of the name for the Toslink to miniplug thingy.
To me it looks like a generic mini connector for mini-to-optical and mini-to-coaxial cables, which can be bought from other companies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
Looks like a regular sized optical connector to me.
Me too. Glad my eyesight doesn't appear to be that bad after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,000 Posts
Yup, it's been confirmed now that there is an optical output on the back of the HD-AV cable which should be able to be used with a standard digital optical cable. It's nice that this cable will come with the X-Box 360 Premium package, although one will have to supply the actual optical cable oneself.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top