AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on this. Looks like I will have to try to make some phone calls. No ones seems interested in something that could potentially render your projector incapable of showing HDTV. With Sony and others busy adding firewire and stuff to televisions, I find it amazing that you all can consider 6,7,8,9 thousand dollar projector and not ask this question.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellows. I tried to call Sanyo to see what their plans were. The PLV 60 has everything but that.

------------------

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bulldoger,

I gave up on the whole copy protection scare thing last week after worrying about it for over a year. If you can remember, I have posted several times on the topic in the past. I finally broke down and purchased a 10ht and boy I'm glad that I did. I also purchased a new Sony DVP-NS700P progressive scan DVD player to go with it. The picture looks so good after calibration that I would be very happy with it even if they cut off the HDTV, which I now doubt will ever happen. My personal opinion is that it will be several years before anyone flips the 5C switch and cuts off the analog. If they do I would expect Congress to very quickly put an end to it after their phones begin ringing off the hook.

One additional thing to consider is that even the RPTV's that are coming out this fall won't even be capable of receiving copy protected signals from cable because the TV's will be required to have a POD module installed. The POD modules won't be in this years models for sure. So, that means that those RPTV's will be just as worthless as my 10ht when it comes to 5C cable programming anyway. Read the Mits disclaimer in the "Promise" statement and it says that the tv's won't be able to receive scrambled programming.

If I were you I would purchase a 10ht as I did and start enjoying the show. My DISH 6000 setup should be here next week! I've seen HDTV many times on other 10ht's and can't wait to see it on mine. Also, take a pass on the Sanyo. It is only brighter than the 10ht. I saw a demo last week. It isn't worth the extra $$.

Good Luck!

Bryan

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bryan, I think you are "right on the money." Thanks for giving me a straigth answer about the Sanyo vs Sony. I have one question though. Can the Sony accept the output of a scaler. I am considering buying one but have seen post saying the Sony is limited to it's on board scaler.

------------------

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really can't say much on the scaler question since I don't own one. I personally think that the internal scaler is excellent. However, there is information about connecting to a scaler in the FAQ on page 13. I really don't think a scaler is necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read the post. It seems it will accept a scaler but not one at the exact resolution of the panels. I do not see that as a problem as 720p is fine with me.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.