AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this posted over at avdeals.com. Can anyone corroberate?

Quote:
IMPORTANT!!!! PLEASE READ THIS, IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!!

From June 8th to 14th the Infocomm tradeshow is on in Las Vegas. Traditionally manufacturers announce price drops and new products at Infocomm. Unless you need the plasma immediately, It would be prudent to wait 1 to 2 weeks before ordering. There is no guarantee that you will save alot , but you will save something. We will update prices as soon as we receive the new costs. We will post the drops here as they occur.
Is there a history of price drops/new products around the time of Infocomm?

Thanks.

--kurt

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Nonsense! I doubt there is a shred of evidence that price drops correspond with Infocomm at all.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
I respectfully disagree. You will see a price drop at this time. Not to mention the possibility of B stock available at a somewhat reduced cost. Maybe that is what AV Deals is also referring to?

Panasonic has opened up Pandora's box already with an aggressive price move on their TH-42PWD4UY. PlasmaPrincess has stated that just a bit ago on another post. I heard about 2 hours ago myself from my vendor.

It seems Panasonic is also coming out with a new true XGA 42" plasma that will knock the socks off ($$-wise) NEC's soon to be released 42MP4 and Pioneer's 433cmx. This will be very interesting in the market.

I attended Infocomm last year to see the new models coming out and caught wind of a couple of price drops that took place there. Also got some B stock availability while I was there. It was there that the 50 inch screens came down quite a bit in price. Now we have Panasonic dropping price a week early? Coincidence?

We'll see.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Rumor has it Panasonic dropped prices today. Stay tuned. Not clear if anyone else made any announcements.

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Panasonic has dropped the price on the D4U. I agree with Rogo. Infocomm has nothing to do with it. Prices always become competitive as 2nd quarter draws to an end, not to mention July sales are always low. I imagine Panasonic is just like any business, they want to increase their sales.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is no doubt that Panasonic makes a quality product. However all of us who have been around remember the production problems they were having in Korea on the D3U, and when they first released the D4U. They were supposed to be getting 500 out a month, when the reality was getting out 100 was a good month for them. I am eager to see if they have ironed out their automation problems for this new line.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, I do not work for Panasonic. I was stating that your earlier comment was from the Panasonic Sales department point of view. And there is nothing wrong with faith, however faith doesn't make customers happy when the product is not available.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't know if it is related in any way, but I did notice that J&R just significantly dropped their price on the Panasonic 42 consumer model (with stand). They now have it listed at $4999. Personally I would rather have the commercial model for the hope of future upgrades, but that is a good price on the consumer retail package.

By the way, I don't work for J&R and I am not promoting them--just making an observation regarding price drops.;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Panasonic is who sets pricing. And its thanks to all the people out there like the ones on this forum who refuse to pay the BS Markup on Consumer pieces. They are being FORCED to be competitive!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'm amazed - we've got two dealers here chating who seem to only communicate with the distributor sales reps. How the H*ll do you provide informed - customer service, doing that?

If you want to generate loyal customers you better take Cineramax's lead a learn these things inside and out, through and through. Have either of you taken any formal training in plasma technology? From the various mfgr's you represent?

I'm NOT a dealer and when I want answers I call Pioneer National Mgrs or Panasonic technical mgrs or whoever until I get someone who will give me the info I want. Over the last year I have probably talked with at least a dozen higher ups at these companies. I too remember production delays on the panny and was on the phone finding out shipment quantities to my region. And I'm just 'Joe Six Pack'.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had no problems with Panasonic. No one is perfect. I was just making a general observation about the past in regards to Panasonic saying they are striving to be No 1 in sales. It will be hard to do that if they have trouble putting out a product.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Originally posted by Brucer

I'm amazed - we've got two dealers here chating who seem to only communicate with the distributor sales reps. How the H*ll do you provide informed - customer service, doing that?

The Distributors aren't idiots. In fact they provide more training than the Manufacturers ever do. i.e the recent workshops and seminars put on by ActiveLight and Electrograph, in Colorado and Chicago respectivley (i attended both)

Think of it this way. As a dealer, I could spend a huge amount of time going to each manufacturer and learning what each wants me to know, or I can go to a distributor who has already learned about every display available.

This has gotten way off the point, as I was merely pointing out for people not to get to excited about this new Panasonic being readily available, as they have had a track record of "counting their chickens before they are hatched"

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dixon
I don't know if it is related in any way, but I did notice that J&R just significantly dropped their price on the Panasonic 42 consumer model (with stand). They now have it listed at $4999. Personally I would rather have the commercial model for the hope of future upgrades, but that is a good price on the consumer retail package.

By the way, I don't work for J&R and I am not promoting them--just making an observation regarding price drops.;)
Thanks Dixon-

Finally a report or observation that people can sink their teeth into, instead of a Dealers tease!

Dealers - if you want to inform the forum of the Price drop why not tell us there has been a XX% drop from list price or XX% drop from street price. Better yet-give us a link to Panny's announcement.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dixon
I don't know if it is related in any way, but I did notice that J&R just significantly dropped their price on the Panasonic 42 consumer model (with stand). They now have it listed at $4999
Unless their in-store prices are different than their web prices, the TH-42WD4 is still $5499. The older PT42PD3P is $4999, however.

--kurt

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klieber

Unless their in-store prices are different than their web prices, the TH-42WD4 is still $5499. The older PT42PD3P is $4999, however.

--kurt
The PT42PD3P is not older than the TH-42WD4. Both were introduced in the fall of 2001. The PT42PD3P is the consumer version whereas the TH-42WD4 is the industrial version. The consumer model is normally more expensive than the industrial.

I also saw the new price in J&R and was surprised that the consumer model had come down so much as I then expected the industrial model to be even cheaper. Clearly this is not reflected on their website yet but I bet it will be.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah SURE! Go ahead and post this four HOURS after I bought the Pioneer 503 cmx. Of course, I got my unit with the video card for $7336 including shipping so I'm not really going to complain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by divvy

The PT42PD3P is not older than the TH-42WD4.
Sure enough -- my mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

--kurt

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmaprincess

David Kyle is absolutley correct. The reps know their stuff inside and out.

( mine does anyhow) And I find it hard to believe you call MFGR's some of them you can only email, some take a long time to get back to you. The distributors have a direct line to them and you can get a answer alot quicker from the distributor than the calling the Mfgrs themselves.

I have certification through NEC modules and have transcripts online. The truth is I work 10-12 hours a day, and Im learning every minute and the original reason I came to this board was to learn more.

One more thing..this is an educated market, most ( not all) consumers know what model they want and why. Sometimes depending on what they are hooking up to it, they may switch when they find out another model has more inputs or a better contrast resolution or whatever, its not all about knowing them, its customer service, fast prompt shipping and good prices.
I guess I just made that up - and that is why the National Sales Mgr from Pioneer mailed me copies of the PDP-433CMX (& 503CMX) brochures with his business card attached two days after hanging up the phone, I had them in my hands while the only online source was part of a scanned pages at one Florida based dealer. It was also at this time that I also reported on this forum that the supposed industrial PDP-503CMX was actually FCC class B (no one else had mentioned that prior that I am aware of).

A search will reveal other instances. Including Panny's lead Industrial Engineer in LA. And Including the regional Electrograph rep (who happens to live here) (She) claimed that the early Panny Buzzing problems were only a high altitude issue. We Know different.

As far as the reason you joined this forum, I don't think you want me to revisit your first couple of post (under the original Username), that had a different appearence than the above statement.

Regards, Bruce

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.