Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Maybe we can put all our final impressions of the show in one thread to reduce repetition of information in replies and make everything easier to find. Maybe someone can also provide space to hold pictures from the show, I know milori was running around with his digital camera. I guess I will start...

First of all it was nice to put names to faces, it was much easier to meet people than the AVS dinner at CES, mostly because there were less a half dozen of us at any one time. Nice to meet milori, abigpicture, MrWiggles, Thumper, and anyone who's alias I've forgotten. Also a big thanks to Shawn Kelly for lugging the Panamorph around and throwing it in front of so many projectors. It's much lighter and smaller than the CES prototype, it really does work as advertised: plug-and-play anamorphic images! Also a big caveat to anyone looking at short throws, under about 8 feet (I think) you won't get a very sharp picture.

A lot of the new stuff going into the consumer market has already been mentioned in other threads. The Plus Piano looks to me like it could be a great competitor for entry-level FPTV. I didn't really take a critical look at many DLP or LCD projectors because they were invariable setup in ambient light conditions. The Piano was the big standout for me, the other DLP's all looked very similar in those conditions.

The Sanyo 60 was pretty nice and it clearly had the best contrast of the native 16:9 projectors. Toshiba's 16:9 LCD was in the shoot-out and it wasn't too bad at all.

Lasergraphics had a booth and their projector was in the shootout. It's still XGA (or SXGA, I don't remember) no matter what tricks you pull with it. The person I talked to in the booth mentioned some tricks with the optics and electronics (no moving parts), but he kind of danced around it when pressed. It didn't really standout, I can do 4x oversampling on my computer without the need to shell out $$$ to have it done on the projector.

Now on the the stuff I haven't seen too much about.

First Unaxis had a small booth there, I don't think anyone here will reconize them, but they make a lot of colour wheels and filters. They had examples of the new TI SCR colour wheel and a page of literature accompanying it. When I talked to them they said they were ready to go with it anytime and they manufacturers could get samples anytime they wanted. They didn't know when projectors might ship though. Early 2002 was speculated at. Maybe something will show up at CEDIA (my speculation)? I think there is about a 30-40% increase in efficiency. See the original thread for more info, they had some good graphics explaning how it worked, hopefully someone has a copy and can scan them in.

Vutec had an interesting ridged black screen, it was a front projection material that appeared black under ambient, but didn't seem to sacrifice too much brightness. However it had a very pronounced gain characteristic, but it seem very abrupt past a certain viewing angle so it may offer a good image within it's viewable field. I don't know if it is flexible or rigid, but it appears to be a rigid material.

Nothing really special going on in the large scale front projection area, lots of really bright projectors shown side by side in moderate ambient. There was a lot of soft image blending going on, but I'm not sure if this is new this year. The results are almost uniformly good, although the seam may be visible in certain scenes because of the "gray" black level of digital projectors. This was almost never noticeable and certainly not objectionable if one wasn't looking for it. Unfortunately it's rather expensive, although Panasonic did offer it *built-in* in some of it's larger projectors.

Look out for Panasonic, they had some pretty good stuff. The plasma that they were showing had some amazing contrast on it, very impressive. I still saw some artifacts in the image. Hopefully someone who spent a more time in the shoot-out can eleborate. There was also a very high contrast plasma in the shoot-out, but unfortunately I think it was WVGA. In their large theatre, Panasonic was showing their 9000 series Cinema projector (I don't remember the model number exactly). One of the most surprising efforts at the show. Excellent presentation in a blacked out environment. The projector was putting out something like 7000 lumens on a 35' wide screen using an ISCO anamorphic (cinema anamorphic ~16k, not the ISCO II http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ). Screen was a *micro-perfed* 1.5 gain Stewart. Measured brightness was 12.7 ft-lamberts. *Measured* full-on full-off contrast was >1000:1! Great built-in scaler that takes all variety of resolutions and refresh rates. The big surprise? *No* TI "black" chip! They were using regular SXGA DLP chips and they managed to eke out stellar real-world contrast! I had no complaints about the picture, and the combination of the ISCO anamorphic and micro-perforations made the pixelation impossible to see. I walked right up to the screen and I couldn't discern the pixels.

Great effort on the part of Panasonic! Too bad the projector is 100+k. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

JVC also had a great setup, very good ambient light control and minimal light pollution between the three screens in their "theatre". They were showing a G2000, G15, DS1, and an LCD outside in ambient light. DS1 didn't look bad, but the conditions were definitely sub-optimal. Don't count it out yet, but I'd reserve judgement until someone see it in a critical viewing environment.

Inside their theatre JVC was showing the G2000, the new G150HT, the 5000SC, and their QXGA. All of them were very impressive. The 2000 and the 150HT were off by themselves each with their own screen. There were black curtains hung up to reduce cross-reflection with the main screen that alternated between the 5000 and the QXGA. JVC was constantly changing between the two using the same source for comparison. Very impressive! The 5000 had a very impressive image, it seemed even more impressive than what I saw at CES. Contrast and black were top-notch, however on that large a screen at much less than 1 screen width you could start to make out the pixels. Enter the QXGA, what a machine! Tom Stites said that it was just a prototype and I got the impression that he expected better from it. I was pretty damn impressed myself! Resolution was visibly better than SXGA and contrast was very good, exceeding what you could expect from typical film presentations (not as good as a good film presentation though...). Pixelation was non-existent. JVC also had a sample 4k*2k chip in a glass display case with the other D-ILA devices. I can't wait!

I had a great time at the show and saw some really impressive stuff.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Kam,

Thanks for the (long) impressions. It was great to meet you.

On your recommendation, Mr. Wiggles, Thumper and I went over to Unaxis to grill the guy about the "Archimedes" color wheel. They had one spinning with a light shining through it right in front of the booth. Very interesting, to say the least!

They actually modulate the RGB light coming through a "light tunnel" to only let one component out, and reflect the other two back for "recycling". The light tunnel was one of the missing pieces to why we couldn't figure out how the new wheel works.

Anyway, thanks for the tip! Nice to meet you.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you found the booth,

Maybe you can put the pictures from the brochure up, they're really much better at explaining what's going on.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
351 Posts
Milori,

Let me see if I understand this SCR color wheel stuff right.

You are saying this is some kind of "light tunnel" where the SCR color wheel only lets out one color at a time and reflects the other two color back into the "light tunnel" for recycling.

What this would mean is that the DMD chip sees one color at a time but the combination of the "light tunnel" and SCR color wheel means no light is wasted, since the "light tunnel" recycles the light.

This stuff must be happenning incredibly fast. How do you recycle light? Are they bouncing it back through the tunnel? Light travels, well, at the speed of light (!) so there must not be much time before the recycled light wants to come back out that tunnel! I think I just confused myself.

Ricardo

[This message has been edited by RicardoD (edited 06-16-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Ricardo,

Something like that. I'm not so sure I understand now that you mention it...although it seemed to make sense when the guy was explaining it (Wiggles, Thumper...feel free to jump in anytime http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ).

I did find this PDF file about it , for starters, and will try to scan their product sheet to show the pictures.

THIS IS EVEN BETTER, though, but a little more work...

Click this link . This is a Flash demo, so I can't take you straight to the goods.

Clicks START once the thing loads, and the click DLP under "Technologies". Watch the animation.

The animation shows what would cause the "rainbow effect" and shows a "light tunnel", but doesn't go into much detail on it in this shot.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Did anyone see Hitachi's SX-5500W LCOS projector? I was told it would be available in October.

Although the screen was small it was impressive and if it comes in under $9000.00, as I was told, watch out JVC.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The spiral wheel allows more than one color to be present at a time. Say the wheel is mostly red at a given instant, with a little blue and the rest green. Green and blue light striking the red section bounce back into the tunnel. On the return bounce, a good part of that light strikes the green and blue sections, with the green part going through green, etc. Light striking the "wrong" color continues to get bounced around, losing some every bounce, until it "finds" the right color.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve,

There you go, a pretty good explaination! Much better than what I've been able to string together in the early morning hours.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Knuck,

The Hitachi projector was there but it really didn't look ready for prime time.

The contrast was only so-so and it had some banding and light output issues. They were showing it in a kind of "tunnel" type on a high gain screen with no ambient light interference.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.