AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to demo a infocus 340, I am new to the projector game. The room I am building is about 15x25x9 with no windows. Not sure what size screen I should go with or what type. How does this rank against other projectors in the same price range? It will be mostly used for DVD's, any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

· Registered
102 Posts
I would say that you should project on to the wall for the first couple of weeks and experiment with screen sizes. Sit in all the places people will sit and check out various screen sizes to see which one you prefer. Then you can either order a screen or make one yourself (see the Screens forum) of the correct size.

One thing to check with the 340 is the rainbow artifact. Do a search for "rainbow" in this forum for more ideas, but I just sent a 340 back because I was very sensitive to this artifact. You may not be (many people it seems are not).

· Registered
6,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:
Jmeitz,

I own the LP350. My sweet seating spot is 12' back from a 54x96 screen. I mask 4:3 material to 54x72. The projector is mounted about 15-16' back from the screen and is at full zoom out. My screen is a stewart grayhawk.

Picture is outstanding with DVD and HD material and pretty darn decent with NTSC. The internal scaler is excellent which makes the projector pretty much plug n play. I perform DVD and NTSC viewing directly to the projector via S-Video Cable. HD content is RGB to the infocus cable wizard.

Best of luck to you.

--Les
Les,

I'm also interested in the LP350. How is the picture quality compare to those HDTV ready rear projection TV? What HDTV box do you have and what kind of cable do you use for HDTV and where did you get it? Does the grayhawk screen improve picture? Thanks.

· Registered
296 Posts
I've got a LP340 clone (the Boxlight CD-455m). I watch on a relatively small screen as my room didn't allow for larger. I sit about 8 feet back from a 84" Da-Lite 4:3 1.3 gain white screen. I am in the process of building a masking system. I watch tons of movies and a lot of sports. All movies are widescreen DVDs and sports just broadcast through standard NTSC cable. I'm wishing I had high definition but am happy with the picture right now. DVD's look great (the projector has 16:9 enhanced mode) and television is in the acceptable / good area. I picked it up from Studio Experience for $2800 (screen was $200, mounting kit another $200).

Chris

· Registered
846 Posts
Tvuong..HDTV is outstanding on the LP350. It compares well to every HD picture I've seen. You would really just have to see it to believe it. On grayhawk: I have a thread called Grayhawk report card that you can search for that includes all my impressions of the grayhawk as well as before and after screenshots.

Minpin...You might want to consider a grayhawk. I feel like the biggest improvement of the grayhawk was in the presentation of NTSC material.

--Les

· Registered
168 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
I just wanted to add that the LP340 is Projector Central's choice for best projector in this price range.

If you haven't already, do a search for LP340 on this site. Also check out the review under the Projector People site from PC Magazine if I remember right.

· Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmeitz:
I am getting ready to demo a infocus 340, I am new to the projector game. The room I am building is about 15x25x9 with no windows. Not sure what size screen I should go with or what type. How does this rank against other projectors in the same price range? It will be mostly used for DVD's, any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
Jmeitz,

I own the LP350. My sweet seating spot is 12' back from a 54x96 screen. I mask 4:3 material to 54x72. The projector is mounted about 15-16' back from the screen and is at full zoom out. My screen is a stewart grayhawk.

Picture is outstanding with DVD and HD material and pretty darn decent with NTSC. The internal scaler is excellent which makes the projector pretty much plug n play. I perform DVD and NTSC viewing directly to the projector via S-Video Cable. HD content is RGB to the infocus cable wizard.

Best of luck to you.

--Les

· Registered
846 Posts
One other note:

Jason Turk of AVS was looking for those interested in a power buy of an LP350 clone. The upside is if you knew you wanted one, I'm sure he will get a great price. The downside is if you haven't seen it, you might find the projector too susceptible to rainbow artifact. I don't. But many others have.

--Les

· Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
One other note:

Jason Turk of AVS was looking for those interested in a power buy of an LP350 clone. The upside is if you knew you wanted one, I'm sure he will get a great price. The downside is if you haven't seen it, you might find the projector too susceptible to rainbow artifact. I don't. But many others have.

--Les
Can you please point out the thread of this powerbuy?

------------------

Walter

· Registered
175 Posts
Arrow, you use straight s-video from dvd player to projector? If so, is the projector doing any doubling at all?

I really want progressive scan dvd and the infocus projectors don't have component/progressive inputs so I'd have to use an HTPC.

· Registered
279 Posts
David

If your not going to use an outboard scaler or HTPC the LP340/350 has one of the best internal scalers of any unit on the market now. The quality of S-video on these units is still to be surpassed and has been compared to HTPC quality.

------------------

Regards

GMan

· Registered
175 Posts
Thanks arrow. I will most likely be in a new house this fall and I'm planning on buying a decent screen and projector just to get in the game. I want it to be good enough to use on it's own with the intention of building an HTPC later. But I probably won't buy till the end of the year and who knows what will be available then.

Thanks.

· Registered
6,626 Posts
Quote:
Tvuong..HDTV is outstanding on the LP350. It compares well to every HD picture I've seen. You would really just have to see it to believe it. On grayhawk: I have a thread called Grayhawk report card that you can search for that includes all my impressions of the grayhawk as well as before and after screenshots.

--Les
Les,

What HDTV box are you using? What DVD player do you have and what cables are you using? Thanks. I love to hear from folks with good result.

· Registered
846 Posts
David..ditto what GMan said. The internal scaler of the LP350 is top notch and is one of the primary reasons why the Infocus is such a great buy. Not only is my DVD player not progressive, but I'm using a cheap Apex 600A DVD player that I originally bought only for its MP3 capability. But the picture turned out to be so good, I now use it for DVD as well.

Tvuong...I use a 12' noname Svideo cable to my Lexicon MC-1 and the infocus cable wizard directly into my Dish 6000.

--Les

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.