AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i see that the 5000 does 720p..is that the main difference??? I know some about the 4805, and know that for the price it is pretty much can't miss. Is the 5000 just as good and with 720, or is it a waste of $500.00 more. Used for home theater, light controlled...not necessarily HD all the time.

TIA

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The 5000 is lcd, the 4805 is DLP. Go to www.projectorcentral.com and look up the main difference between those 2 technologies.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
It's best to demo each for itself. Thats for you to decide. Some people prefer more contrast of dlp over extra detail of 720p lcd. Some don't. Some can see rainbows of dlp and are bothered by it. Some get vertical banding with lcd and are bothered by it. Some feel dlp is more film like. Some feel lcd has better colors.

Personally, I prefer more contrast. But I know there are plenty of members who will chime in who feel more resolution is more important.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Actually, the 5000 doesn't hold up very well even against similar LCD projectors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Actually, the 5000 doesn't hold up very well even against similar LCD projectors.
Could you please explain this statement, in what ways does it not hold up.

This is one of the projectors on my short list and would like to know how it compares with similar projectors.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you're interested in the 5000 there are several things to consider:

1) Projector Central tried to include it in their 720 LCD shootout but the 5000 turned out to be defective and they never bothered to retest it.

2) You can get a good idea how forum members feel about a particular PJ by the number of threads centered on this PJ and the number of posts to those threads. The 5000 never created any excitement here. Do a search for 5000 and see for yourself.

3) The 5000 doesn't have lens shift. In the past InFocus said lens shift is a freeby on LCD PJs. If InFocus feels that way why didn't they include it in the 5000?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've been researching these two myself over the last month or so.

Another key difference (not yet mentioned) is that the 4805 has Faroudja deinterlacing, while the 5000 does not. After reading many comments about how the 5000's deinterlacing left something to be desired, this was a significant factor in convincing me that the 5000 was likely not the product for me.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
The 5000 honestly belongs with the previous generation of LCDs like the L500U, Z2, etc; It was simply released later than them, and lacks many of the tweaks that the current generation employs to get better results from the same technology.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.