AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I have another moronic question to ask you guys.

As I said in a previous thread, I got the I.4805 projector. I am very happy with it, by the way. Currently, I am using a cheap Sony dvd player I got from Costco (

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
When you switch progressive on your dvd player, the player tends to increase the contrast/brightness setting in order to give a better perceived picture quality. Increasing brightness/contrast is all that it is doing. Either way, you need to put in a calibration dvd and tune the projector's picture settings. In the end, whether you are using progressive or not, the picture should look almost identical. The difference being in 480i (no progressive), with Faroudja doing the processing, it will handle the errors and poorly mastered dvds better than the sony's own deinterlacer when in progressive mode.

Popular calibration dvds are AVIA and Digital Video Essentials. If you don't have either, the THX optimode is available on all THX discs which you can use (its better than nothing at least).

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
what model sony do you have?

cheap doesn't necessarily mean poor quality;), i have a 875 as a backup and it's no slouch in my setup.

i leave my pscan on since looks better on sony direct view and mits 65...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys:

Thanks for your prompt replies.

--- Ja Phule, to be honest I have not taken a closer look at PQ vs brightness when I switch between the progressive features of the sony. Nevertheless, when I do so, it looks kind of fuzzy to me. In any event, I will take a closer look in the following days and will comment you what I saw.

I have the Avia disc. The logical thing to do would be to calibrate when the PScan feature is off on the dvd player, right?

--- Vashon, I am always trying to remember the model number but I always forget. I am going to write it down so I can give you a better answer (couldn't find the model on Costco.com)

Again, my friends, thanks a lot for your opinions

Jano

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
--- Ja Phule, to be honest I have not taken a closer look at PQ vs brightness when I switch between the progressive features of the sony. Nevertheless, when I do so, it looks kind of fuzzy to me. In any event, I will take a closer look in the following days and will comment you what I saw.

I have the Avia disc. The logical thing to do would be to calibrate when the PScan feature is off on the dvd player, right?
Calibrate both ways, with it on and off. With it on, your dvd player is doing the processing. With it off, the 4805 is doing its processing.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Normally the 4805 will beat your dvd player in PQ so try calibrating as Ja recommended.

Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone had any improvements in PQ using DVE (or any other calibration methods) on your 4805? I've only used the THX optimizer for basic calibration but I'm not entirely satisfied with the results. I became more dissatisfied when at a recent local AV fair, I saw fantastic results when someone did a demonstration on a "professionally calibrated" 4805 and was way much better than the PQ that i have on my 4805! Of course the screen does makes a difference i suppose. The demo guy used a fixed Stewart 92" grey screen which I was told costs 20 times more than my Draper 92" roll down white screen. However, I'm sure with proper calibration, my PQ can improved much further without having to upgrade my screen. Can DVE really help much on the 4805?

Any comments on this?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jano_aguayo
Hi everyone:

Vashon, I got the model number for the Sony dvd player I'm using: DVP-NS41P
That's Costco's version of the NS50p which has the 12bit 108mhz DAC. I have one of these also and it puts out an outstanding picture for a "cheapy" player. I'm not surprised that the progressive scan mode is as good as you say, I see that also on mine. Just make sure the picture enhancement settings (Dynamic 1 & 2 as well as Cinema) are set to 'off' otherwise calibration is nearly impossible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.