Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

apologies if this has been asked 1000 times so far but this is my first posting so please go easy on me.

I really want to buy a projector and from what i have read here and other places, the 4805 is a pretty good deal. It has everything i could want and more except for one thing - 4:3 (this is true, right?)

I want the projector as pretty much a occasional substitute for a TV, to watch DVDs on but also for sport and TV and wonder whether native 16:9 would suit my needs since I have just been babysitting an X1 and found that to be good on all fronts except when watching TV due to the interlacing issue.

At this point i defer to you, my learned friends.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZorn
it has a 4:3 640x480 mode
What does that mean exactly? will the image be good enough for TV and a football game or should I look at a different projector altogether?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyhen
What does that mean exactly? will the image be good enough for TV and a football game or should I look at a different projector altogether?
It will look as good if not better than it did on the x1. Because it is 16:9 native, there will be black bars on the side of the 4:3 picture. There are options to stretch it to cover up the black bars or even zoom in on the picture and crop off some of the top and bottom so it won't be stretched. Most people prefer to watch it with the bars on the side or mask off the sides when watching 4:3.

If you have digital cable, you can upgrade your cable box to an HD one and receive HDTV on the 4805 and it will look fantastic (even though the 4805 is not true HDTV resolution).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
SDTV won't be worse than on the X1, but I highly doubt it will be much better. In general, SDTV doesn't look good on a big screen. If you are serious about TV go HDTV as suggested.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I took account that blacks would be deeper and it would have better contrast, even for SDTV.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster904
SDTV won't be worse than on the X1, but I highly doubt it will be much better. In general, SDTV doesn't look good on a big screen. If you are serious about TV go HDTV as suggested.
Really you think so? :confused:

Are you aware of the fact that all DVDs are compressed SDTV quality?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The OP said:

"I want the projector as pretty much a occasional substitute for a TV, to watch DVDs on but also for sport and TV and wonder whether native 16:9 would suit my needs since I have just been babysitting an X1 and found that to be good on all fronts except when watching TV due to the interlacing issue."

Obviously he also thinks SDTV doesn't look very good. "Interlacing" can't be an issue since X1 has Faroudja which should be as good a de-interlacer as you can get. Your comment is technically correct - only if all SDTV signals are prestine, which is not the case. May be my provider doesn't send me good signal? I am going to poll the members here to see how many think SDTV looks as good as DVD in everyday situation.

Ja Phule, thanks for reminding us once again that the 4805 has excellent black and contrast. Again, you are technically correct. And again, I don't know how much it applies in everyday situation. Bad signal, broadcast news, sports, etc, I really don't know how much better SDTV can get overall with better black and contrast. One minor point - SDTV is in 800x600 on the X1 and 640x480 on the 4805. (I am not denying that it can be better, just not "much better".)

·
Registered
625 Posts
i dont think id watch just 'TV' on my projector unless it was a big event.

and it would look fine. but its a waste to watch simpsons on or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, your words are certainly encouraging.

i am anm expat Brit currently living in Israel and I am assured that HDTV is not something that will be available in the immediate future here, neither on thru the satellite provider nor thru the digital cable provider (dont want to sound boorish but is SDTV likely to be what i am currently viewing?).

Am I to understand tho that the 4805's resolution for 4:3 would be better (even if not much better) than the X1's. If that is the case then i can live with that. And if in fact I am still able to get a 100" viewable screen (not including the black sidesbars) at 4ish metre distance with the 4805 that should be the deal closer.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
coyhen,

If you keep the 4:3 AR, 4805's resolution will be 640x480. X1 is 800x600. You will be losing resolution.

Have you considered something like a NEC HT1100, since you watch a lot of 4:3?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.