AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there a ton of these out there, so figured I'd ask to see if anyone's seen this before. To start, I gave the 4805 to my little brother, and he pounds the hours on it, 3000 total so far with and everything still original.

He called me last night whining like a little girl saying HALF the image went dark...a slightly angled vertical break about midway down the screen. It's visible at the Startup screen and on any input.

HOWEVER, the half of the screen WITH the the image, is still perfect, the other half is almost black, but you can make out some of the image.

I thought when the bulbs go, the whole image drops as the whole bulb goes down, and it can't throw any light. I told him I'm very suspicious this is something else, and the 4805 may be dead.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
This is not going to be a lamp issue. It sounds like the light path is being obstructed. I saw a few posts about how to do a DIY fix for this but can't seem to locate them now. Hopefully someone will post a link for you. If the unit is under warranty I would get it repaired. Otherwise you can try the DIY fix, but I would definitely not buy another lamp unless you get this issue resolved first.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The lamp will NEVER cause ANY problem other than diminished OVERALL brightness or color shift.

You have a Light Tunnel failure. It is a 4-sided mirrored tunnel that channels the light into the imaging chamber. It CAN be repaired, but it is very small and you have to be precise. And you have to remove the color wheel to get to it and the color wheel is very fragile.

Infocus has discontinued those parts so if you want to continue using the projector, it will have to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found the thread form searching.....deep searching.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=618877

The AVSers describe the light tunnel and one of the sides fell into the light path, and needs to be reattached the the wall of the tunnel. Sounds like some major surgery, but we have no choice but to have at it.

If anyone has any other suggestions not covered in the thread, please reply. I know we'd prefer buying this "light tunnel" as it seems some AVSers have attempted this repair and broke it.

Thanks again for posting.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You will not find any new tunnels, the parts have been discontinued. Thank you, Infocus, for NOT supporting your product even though it has only been 2 YEARS!!!

Anyway, the sides are not flush, they are offset. See this diagram of the end of a tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George /forum/post/14259598

I think I found the thread form searching.....deep searching.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=618877

The AVSers describe the light tunnel and one of the sides fell into the light path, and needs to be reattached the the wall of the tunnel. Sounds like some major surgery, but we have no choice but to have at it.

If anyone has any other suggestions not covered in the thread, please reply. I know we'd prefer buying this "light tunnel" as it seems some AVSers have attempted this repair and broke it.

Thanks again for posting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts