AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain what Signal the PJ would display (in the about menu) if it was connected to a DVD Progressive signal?

I have a Toshiba Progressive scan DVD Player. It explains how to turn on/off Progressive scan but it's got me confused. There is no indicator light or display message on the Player to indicate what mode I'm in.

One mode will have the PJ show the signal is 720X480 -59HZ The other mode will show 480P Which of these modes indicate whether or not the Player is doing the processing or the PJ?

Most opinions are that the PJ will do a better job of processing and that the Player Progressive Scan should be turned off. I just don't know what I'm getting. The picture looks a bit better when the PJ says the signal is 480P, but again, not sure where the player is set.

Thanks for any help.........

·
Registered
262 Posts
The 4805 will display 480p when it is receiving a progressive scan signal (Player doing the processing) from the DVD player. However, the 4805 has an excellent Faroudja de-interlacer built in to it. Unless your DVD player is very good, the 4805 will probably do a better job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that apply to the M1 port also? That is what I have the Player connected to using the M1 to Component adapter.

Actually, using another Player connected to the S-Vid port seems to give better PQ. I have my HD Cable box connected to the PJ Component Port as I watch mostly Cable HD Sports etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Only way the projector can process the signal is if it is fed an interlaced one. If you feed it a pprogressive signal it wont be able to process it. From what I have read in this forum de sp4805 will not accept an interlaced signal through its M1 port. So you will need to feed it through component to get the best interlaces signal possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm (sp4805 will not accept an interlaced signal through its M1 port)

If I have Progressive turned off, then the Player is sending 480i. But, I do get a Pic on the M1 port with PS off so maybe that statement isn't correct, or i'm missing something.. (very likely )

Thanks......

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The 4805 "accepts" a signal when feeding 480i via the M1... However, it will not process it correctly, it will merely scale the picture and do no deinterlacing of the video, which is why you get 720x480 @ 59 instead of 480i as you should be getting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, think I get it. Wish this thing had 2 Componet inputs. The M1 port seems to be a waste. Guess I could spring for the 50.00 DVI adapter and try running my HDTV through it. Then use the Component for DVD. Then again, as I said, the PQ seems as good when connected to the S-VID.

I just got the Video Storm Component Amp ( CB003 ) so I could run Component from my HD Box to the TV and the PJ. Not sure I like it though. Pic seems very intense, like too much contrast etc. Also maybe some slight artifacts. Hard to believe this thing is actually an Amp and not just some sort of splitter. It's a plain black box, no markings at all(Model # ) and weighs about as much as a pack of smokes. All this would be unnessary if they simply had an extra Component input. I was actually using Y-Cables and splitting the Component output to the TV and PJ but I was woried about some sort of impedence mismatch. The pics looked goo though!

·
Registered
7,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro279 /forum/post/0

OK, think I get it. Wish this thing had 2 Componet inputs. The M1 port seems to be a waste. Guess I could spring for the 50.00 DVI adapter and try running my HDTV through it. Then use the Component for DVD. Then again, as I said, the PQ seems as good when connected to the S-VID.

I just got the Video Storm Component Amp ( CB003 ) so I could run Component from my HD Box to the TV and the PJ. Not sure I like it though. Pic seems very intense, like too much contrast etc. Also maybe some slight artifacts. Hard to believe this thing is actually an Amp and not just some sort of splitter. It's a plain black box, no markings at all(Model # ) and weighs about as much as a pack of smokes. All this would be unnessary if they simply had an extra Component input. I was actually using Y-Cables and splitting the Component output to the TV and PJ but I was woried about some sort of impedence mismatch. The pics looked goo though!

How about moving your HDTV from the component input to the component to m1 input instead?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I tried that once. Can't remember. I know I tried using DVI from C.B. to TV and also the C.B. Component to the PJ. For some reason I had Channel switching problem. The C.B. would change normally if I had both TV and PJ on. However, when the TV was off and the PJ on, the BOX would hang, delay, or not switch at all.

My Cable Co uses the Motorola 6412 series Boxes. Some have DVI, some have HDMI along with Component. The problem is these Boxes have many issues. They just die or the PQ is really bad. So I opted to stick with a Box that gave decent PQ instead of one with connections I'd prefer. I was using the M1 port from a CB that had an HDMI out and used an adapter to the M1 port. This worked well but that box died . I asked for another with HDMI but the PQ was horrible. So, as I said, I had to accept a Box that had good PQ and live with the connections it had.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.