AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am think of buying the infocus 4805 projector. It will be used primarily for watching Direct Tv and Dvds. I haven't been able to find out much information about how this model works with regular tv. I am am wondering if it is worth it to go for a big screen like this or to just spend the extra money and get a plasma or LCD?

Any opinions?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The 4805 will work well for direct tv and dvds. Though I must mention, SDTV on a projector won't always look the best. If you have a crappy signal then the picture will only look crappier because you're going to blow up the picture 80+". However, the 4805 has a built in Faroudja processor that will clean up the picture to the best of its ability, and it doesn't get much better than what Faroudja can do. If the signal is clean, it should look fine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would not recommend a 4805 if you view a lot of SDTV in 4:3 format.

Due to the limited resolution of the 4805 and the fact that it is a widescreen projector one cannot display a 4:3 picture in native resolution.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Due to the limited resolution of the 4805 and the fact that it is a widescreen projector one cannot display a 4:3 picture in native resolution.
I don't think "the limited resolution of the 4805" affects SD viewing at all. After all, SD is SD even on a true HD projector.

However, I agree that blowing up SD doesn't look all that great (although IMO it looks better than it did on the 60" Sony HDTV I took back a few weeks ago). Another option is to get the 4805 for movies, and such and keep an SD TV for the other stuff.

-Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 4805 looks excellent with dvds. I have had friends that have their own RP HDTV over, and they commented how sharp the picture was.

We have also watched a limited amount of SD. The picture is minimally acceptable, but that is not the fault of the projector.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware
I don't think "the limited resolution of the 4805" affects SD viewing at all. After all, SD is SD even on a true HD projector.
You may not think so but that does not invalidate the truthfulness of the statement. :)

While 4:3 SDI material has a resolution of 720x480 only 640x480, which is more than a 10% loss, is displayed a 4805.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
htpcfan once again I must remaind you that life is a LOT more than just numbers... :D

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
SDTV is 640x480. DVD is 720x480. There is a difference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
SDTV is 640x480. DVD is 720x480. There is a difference.
Incorrect Ja.

Both SDTV and DVD are 720x480.

The 4805 simply does not have enough horizontal resolution to display all the pixels from a 4:3 source, hence the 640x480 for SDTV on a 4805, a loss of more than 10%.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Chelios has been playing for 22 seasons?

And i thought the Leafs had an old team...

(oops sorry) back to your regularly scheduled program.

P.S. great shots Goop. I'm getting one of these puppies as soon as I can find a deal on one in Toronto. (i missed the BB sale last month). :(

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Incorrect Ja.

Both SDTV and DVD are 720x480.

The 4805 simply does not have enough horizontal resolution to display all the pixels from a 4:3 source, hence the 640x480 for SDTV on a 4805, a loss of more than 10%.
Not too sure about that, I did a search for sdtv resolution and came up with a few different results saying sdtv is 640x480 (and sometimes 704x480). In any case, if you put the 4805 in native mode, it will show sdtv (whether it is 720x480, 704x480, or 640x480) it whatever resolution it receives it in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Not too sure about that, I did a search for sdtv resolution and came up with a few different results saying sdtv is 640x480 (and sometimes 704x480).
Well you are completely wrong, SDTV is 720x480.

Quote:
In any case, if you put the 4805 in native mode, it will show sdtv (whether it is 720x480, 704x480, or 640x480) it whatever resolution it receives it in.
Smoke and mirrors Ja?

Come on now Ja, you are going to tell me that you do not understand that the 4805 is not able to show the full resolution of SDTV 4:3 sources?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Have you ever demoed the 4805? Put the 4805 in native mode, and you will get the picture in 720x480 if the source it is receiving is in 720x480.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever demoed the 4805? Put the 4805 in native mode, and you will get the picture in 720x480 if the source it is receiving is in 720x480.
Yes I have.

Look Ja, the 4805 is a widescreen projector capable of a resolution of 854x480. Just do the math and you will find out that it is impossible to display 4:3 with the full 720 resolution onto the 4805.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have.

Look Ja, the 4805 is a widescreen projector capable of a resolution of 854x480. Just do the math and you will find out that it is impossible to display 4:3 with the full 720 resolution onto the 4805.
Am I missing something here? are you saying that the 4805 that is capable of showing 480 lines of vertical resolution cannot display 480 lines of vertical resolution from an SDTV signal? and with fully 134 more horizontal pixels than SDTV it cannot display SDTV at full resolution horizontally either?

I am just curious why this is. is it a firware issue? or just a limitation of the DLP chip in the 4805?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have.

htpcfan,

I believe it's impossible for any digital projector to display the full 720 resolution of a 4:3 source as this would require rectangular display pixels and as far as I know they are square only.

720x480 is a frame AR of 1.5:1 which means the pixels are tall rectangular for 4:3 (1.33:1) AR sources and wide rectangular for 16:9 (1.78:1). Since all diplay pixels are square 16:9 widescreen gets scaled to 854 and 4:3 to 640 square pixels to maintain correct aspect ratios on square pixel displays.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Hugh2

Correct - the DVD format was designed to be horizontally scaled - since essentially all fixed pixel devices are square pixels. Of course they could have defined the format to handle full and widescreen horizontal resolution - but they did not. Much simpler to have a flag to indicate to stretch or compress to the proper aspect.

In fact your TV is not even capable of displaying this 720 wide resolution simply because this exceeds even the component video NTSC bandwidth. This is why ALL DVD players have cropping on the sides when displaying analog inputs - to do otherwise would be an illegal video signal.

htpcfan

There is NO display capable of showing 720x480 DVD 4:3 source in it's correct aspect ratio that I am aware of - get over it. You can of course use your HTPC to generate 720x480 and then use native mode of the projector for a perfect pixel match - but then the aspect ratio is wrong. But if you have an anamorphic lens with variable horizontal morphing- then you can indeed pixel map and compress/stretch optically for the proper aspect. I am not aware of anyone that has done that yet!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.