AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Infocomm on Wednesday with some other AVS'ers. I also spent a lot of time in the Infocus booth talking with the product manager for the LP530.

The LP530 was not in the shootout so I only saw it in the booth with limited materials. It is however impressive. Very much better colors than (yellows greens and reds) than most projectors in the shootout on the same shots.

Some details:

1) it has 2000 lumens with a clear section. The clear section turns off on video material including HD.

2) it has gamma and RGB color controls, unlike the 350.

3) it will take 480p 720p and 1080i through the RGB input. It does not take 480p through component input.

4) Sage/Faroudja is on board. This effectively means that you can feed 480i from a DVD player and expect to get really excellent results. (The Faroudja guys were also at the Infocus booth when I was thereand talked about their chip in the Infocus.)

I thought that the 530 will be a very strong HT competitor. (Bear in mind that I am somewhat biased toward Infocus on the grounds that their machines provide excellent value and that is my perspective.)

We also discussed the new HT machine. This machine will be very similar to the 530. It will however have the 480X848 DLP chip and will support a native 16X9 aspect ratio. It will support 480P component input however. It will be at a good price point. He says that we can expect an announcement "very soon". I suspect they would want it before CEDIA.

For me I would almost prefer the 530 since it is XGA but time will tell.

On other points:

1. Faroudja had very effective demos of their Sage chip (the flag demo), the NR (Gladiator into two Sony plasmas with and without the NR. (The Sony has really wretched deinterlace BTW.) They also had the 5000 doing 1080i->1080p conversion on scenes from Dinosaur, fed into a G90. Very impressive.

2. I now have a new benchmark for what video can look like: the JVC D-ILA QXGA. This is it folks! Several of us sat in the front row, as milori reports, trying to find something wrong with the picture. A very few places where scaling could have improved, but the basic picture was bright, clear, colorful, filled with subtlety etc etc. THIS WILL CHANGE YOUR IDEAS ABOUT VIDEO forever. After seeing it, I walked through all of the high-end systems (Barco, Sony, Christie, Imax), and nothing they had even began to compare.

·
Registered
111 Posts
rlsmith,

Thanks for the review. I take it that the LP530 does not have the six segment color wheel. Did you notice any rainbow? Also, did infocus give you any indication of the type of color wheel they were planning for the HT model? It sounds like the HT model is meant as competition for the seleco ht200dm.

Thanks,

------------------

Jim Lauritzen

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
rlsmith,

By any chance did you ask if the clear section can be turned off even for computer signals - or is that what the '1600 lumen' setting does?

I'd like to use an HTPC and turn off the clear section at times.

JasG

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:

1) it has 2000 lumens with a clear section. The clear section turns off on video material including HD.
How does it distinuquish between video and computer signals through RGB?

--Les

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
rlsmith

As far as the dila what was the source. Did it look that good using a dvd as a source or was it using some uncompressed hdtv material. I hope they used dvd.

Also has the black level been inproved. This could be the current dream machine.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,

I was told that the 530 had a 4 segment wheel. (I looked into the lens and thought that I saw 4 segments. I can usually tell by moving my head at the right speed.)

Jasg, Arrow

I was told that the white segment activates based on seeing a "video" signal. This includes the video inputs plus seeing a 1080i, 720p or 480p signal on the VGA input.

So, for your applcation with an HTPC, this would apparently leave the white section turned on.

One of the points I made to the program manager is that these machines, and Infocus in particular, have too many automatic decisions being made. Something like the control of the white segment can be put into the software setup and given reasonable defaults. The program manager responded that there were costs in doing that, that he personally tested these things, etc. As a software developer (by profession) I really didn't buy this argument at all.

Alan,

The source was 1080i video in a custom production, mostly concert footage. Tom Stites told us that the video had been copied onto a Grass Valley server and was being served from there. I did not ask how compressed it was, but it may well have been high-bandwidth 1080i. He did say that there was no external scaler, i.e., the DILA's own scaling was being used. (There was no DVD.)

Tom said that they did not have any film-based material on display because they did not have the gamma tables set up properly for film as of yet on this prototype. He also said that they had not planned, at one point, to display the prototype publically at the show but it was working so well that they did.

Of course it's always possible that the machine could show some problems with other source material. But the presentation I saw was so far ahead of any other high-end system that I have a hard time believing it would not look good on other material. I would of course like to see it with film-based material, and also with a DVP-5000 doing 1080i->1080p conversion.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger:
This could be the current dream machine.
Huh? Could? It already was mine before it was built.

I'm measuring my hushbox for future upgrade now....

·
Registered
220 Posts
rlsmith

Was this the source for both the JVC 5000 and the JVC QXGA projector?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Krimi,

I do not know about the source for the 5000 since I was asking only about the Q.

KeithR,

The environment did not allow discerning anything about the contrast. The product manager did say that they have addressed the "green fog" issue.

tvuong,

I did not see any halo but the environment was not optimal for seeing such.

The product manager did, however, tell me that they have addressed this issue and he believes people will be satisfied.

He allowed that business customers had complained about this. I was surprised by this since my salespeople have never cared about such things.

Time will tell because we have to see it in real environments to know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
rlsmith,

If someone only wants to view DVDs through a DVD player on a 16:9 screen, which InFocus would be a better choice, the LP530 with it's lower contrast (400:1), higher brightness (2000 ANSI), higher resolution (1024x768), and Faroudja DCDi scaling, or the InFocus Piano with it's lower rated brightness (450 ANSI), higher rated contrast (600:1) and lower 848x600 resolution, which apparently doesn't require scaling of DVDs, thus eliminating artifacts?

Did you see the new Sharp 9000 DLP projector?

Of all the projectors you saw, which do you believe would have the best overall image for someone who only wants to view DVDs througha DVD player on a large 16:9 screen?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Augustine,

A small correction--Infocus doesn't make the Piano, that is a Plus product. Infocus will be introducing something similar.

For DVD's only, I just don't know today. The Plus Piano, and the new Infocus HT, are players you should look at. It will help to know what the prices of these two units are. If the Plus is $2k, for example, and you want it for DVD's, it could be a real win.

We all also liked the Sanyo PLV-60 (which is higher res, HD compatible, LCD a la Sony 10HT, and more expensive).

The Seleco 200 and 250 also are very good with DVD's but again more expensive.

Hope that this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.