AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only 290 hours on my Infocus 7200 and I got the "Change Lamp" message. What would cause this? I reset the hours and just powered it off and will power it back up. I have firmware 3.2.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Have you noticed any change in the image? For instance, has it dimmed out a bunch recently? Also, did you buy the projector new or used? I ask because it could have been reset by a previous owner if it were used.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will this lamp damage my projector? Just mean until this issue is resolved will it hurt it being used? I will contact customer support.

Jason, I have not noticed any change in how the image looks. Still looks good except for the annoying "Change Lamp" message in the lower left corner. I have on HD right now and it still looks perfect. Also, I bought the projector new and have only been using it for about 1-2 months.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Jatwolf,

I had the same problem it isn't the lamp. Infocus replaced the lamp once and the second time they requested sending the unit in. They did replace some kind of power supply or board. It appears that it is fixed. We will see when I reach around 200 hours. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Just curious. When did you purchase yours?? Got mine last october and have heard that this is a problem with that run of PJ's.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did get mine around that time last year but just recently starting using it because my room was still not done until recently. Man. I hope it is not some recurring problem. If so they need to replace the unit so this doesn't happen over and over. We'll see I guess.

Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
phansson...

When you had this problem, did the "Change Lamp" message stay on all the time or come on, go off for a few seconds, come on again, etc. The first time it happened the message stayed on the whole time, now it is once in a while going off and then coming back. Just curious I guess. Also, can I continue to use the projector until the new bulb shows up? Sorry for all the questions but since you had this happen figured you would know.

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
When this happened to me it would come on and stay on. It would take about 10 min after initial start up. I don't really know if it is going to hurt the PJ or not. I am just betting the bulb doesn't fix the problem. (It will for 200 hours) You really need to send the PJ back to infocus for repair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem with the Toshiba Mt-8. After they tried to fix it 3 times the PJ finally died and they replaced it with a new one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you still following this one Bob Williams? If so is there anything you can do on your end to stop me from having to go through three lamp changes and just replace this faulty projector now?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I do not know anything about the problem that phansson has experienced. I do know that the change lamp message can come up for 3 possible reasons: 1) The lamp has reached 2000 hours of operation, 2) the lamp has dropped to a low voltage so that the ballast has trouble driving it, 3) the ballast is overheating. I believe that the most likely occurence is the 2nd one. If true, it does no harm to the projector, but the lamp needs to be replaced. Our technical support people can help you diagnose what's really going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same trouble at 240 hrs. My 5700 had a audible grinding noise that began shortly (approx. 20 hrs.) before the replace lamp message began showing. I also purchased my projector in Oct. After sending it in, they replaced the engine and bulb and said it was a bad engine. Once I received the fixed projector, it would not even turn on. Infocus replaced my projector. Their customer service is some of the best around. Although I would have preferred to have no problem at all with my projector, they did make things right in the end. I did without my projector for about a month but am happy now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As long as they do what it takes to fix this issue without me having to pay for repairs I will agree with that statement as well. So far they are shipping me a new lamp which people here have said is only a temporary solution. So the real test will be in another 200 hours when this thing breaks again.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Bob I am glad that you are seeing this thread. I can understand that it can only be 3 options for the change lamp message.

I just think it is weird that I went through 2 lamps and they both "died", one at 200 hours roughly and the other at 250 hours roughly. I guess it could be a lamp problem but these lamps are supposed to last 2000 hours.

Infocus suggested that I send the unit in after the second problem. I don't really know what they did as I didn't receive a repair invoice. The black level does seem to be higher than it used to be. Anyone else notice this???

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll echo the awesome customer service too. Received a 7200 on Friday which had a dead pixel. Called them and they said use it for the weekend and call Tuesday. Called today and they are sending a new one UPS red their expense. Kudos and thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MC22... I am not stating that Infocus does not have good customer service. It just worries me when I hear that a problem most likely projector related is going to take me 3 bulb replacements and the inconvenience that goes with that to replace what is probably a faulty projector. Why in MC22's case did he get a new projector sent quick as can be and problem free, and in phansson's case and probably my case, it will take several lamp replacements?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Please do not take my posts as being negative to Infocus. I think there customer service is top notch. I also really enjoy my IF 7200. Great pic, great value. I am just trying to help JATwolf fix a problem that I personally don't think will be fixed via a new bulb.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I agree. The projector is great and so far they are responding to the issue. It's just going through 3 bulbs that is going to be annoying. Oh well, we'll cross that bridge later I guess. The first bulb is on the way. Bob, if you are still following this however, you may want to take note of this issue as I have seen it pop up a lot in my research since this happened to me. People with Infocus projectors that have had this happen after 200 hours or so and eventually needed new projectors.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Jat

Patience.

Most companies have a "process". Imagine if every bad bulb in a GM car resulted in a new car. You have to give them a chance to resolve it. They are sending you a new 500 dollar bulb based on your word alone. many companies always require the device to go to a servie center. Clearly they have dealt with many more problems than the few we hear of here and likely have a rational for approaching it this way. If you pj is "fixed" for good with a new bulb wont you be happier in retrospect than sending it in now? If it is not then of course there will be more frustration on your part. Alas this is life. At least it is nice to be getting good feedback from service as well as the input from a senior InFocus person like Bob. Be well. Worry not they will help you until it is fixed. More than I can say for almost every other company I have had to deal with including my expensive MBZ. They took my car for a week.

Paul

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.