AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum to find threads with InFocus 7200 problems and didn't find any -- but I might have used the wrong search criteria. Anyway, if there is already a thread on this, please point me to it.

I've had the InFocus 7200 since April (i.e., it is 6 months old) and it has about 450 hours on it. Until last week, I have had flawless performance. Firmware is 2.9 (which was on the projector when I bought it new).

Here's the problem:

After about an 90-120 minutes the first signs of trouble appear. The screen starts flashing white splotches. It is basically the look that the projector has soon after startup, just before the picture locks in. There is the accompanying changing whir (fan? color wheel?) -- again, that sounds just like what occurs during the white splotching at startup.

The splotching sometimes appears for just a second or two or even one or two flashes. Then the picture is fine. But, later, the splotching flashes gets constant and require action. A restart (shut down and power up) solves it, but this takes about 5 or more minutes. The flashes return after another 60 to 120 minutes. The other thing that I've found that temporarily fixes this is to go into the system menu, termporarily select "High Power" and then unselect it and exit the menu. This fix only lasts for 10 to 20 minutes. Changing presents (e.g., to force a re-sync on a new scan rate) doesn't effect any change at all.

Questions:

1. What is causing this?

2. How do I fix it?

Despite fear of biasing others' insights, I'll pose a possible culprit: I'm curious if this is symptomatic of over-heating? In helping me diagnose this, please leave open all options. But, if this is "classic signs of overheating" then please say so. If overheating, I am willing to add a fan(s). The question then becomes where the projector needs the most cool air (I know where the hot air exhausts -- is it sufficient to put a fan near this area to help the exhaust get away from the projector?). I do have a form of a hush box, but it is totally open across the entire front of the projector and has about an inch open all around the top). To my touch, it doesn't seem to get significantly warm around the projector except at the point where the hot air exhausts. For 450 hours, I never had this problem -- it seems odd that it would pop up if it was overheating. But, I might have just been on the margin before.

By the way, I would just take this into the dealer if it wouldn't mean being without it for a while. So, if it is something that I can address, I'd rather find that out before going without the projector for any length of time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It sounds like the DMD is getting out of sync with the color wheel. That is what causes this same phenomenon upon start up, as I recall from Bob William's past posts. If so, the device that is supposed to maintain that sync is malfunctioning (maybe when it gets warm). I would expect that you will need a warranty repair. If the PJ gets too hot, I think it shuts down in a self protection mode.

Call Infocus tech support and ask them. I expect they will know. They are very responsive. Tell them you are an AVSer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks glenned.

I'm going to try addressing the heat issue first by running a fan on the projector. Any ideas on how to most effectively do this?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well it sounds like your hush box is on the SMALL side. If you only have an inch around the unit. You want to vent cool air to the intake fan Side nearest the lens and exhaust from th eopposite rear side. I doubt this is heat but heat above 110 is probably not best. Also I agree with calling tech support. Check the web site and see if an authorized repair site is nearby. I brought mine to one and the fedexed me a replacement the next day. Now that is service

Good luck

Paul

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,

Thanks for the input. I wasn't at all clear on my hushbox, so let me clarify. It is actually on the large side with at least 6" clearance on all sides, except perhaps the bottom (top of the projector, since it is inverted) where the clearance is probably 2" to 4". The inch reference was the gap between the ceiling and hushbox all around -- it hangs from 4 bolts. So, the inch all around is where fresh air can enter or exit the box.

Having said all of that, I played around a bit today with a fan -- no kidding, I used a 24" box fan. After a couple of hours, the 7200 would start the light/color wheel sync problem. Using the fan blowing on the unit would cause the problem to subside within 30 seconds or so. After taking the fan away, the problem would come back after a few minutes. This leads me to believe that I am right on the margin with the heat. By the way, this was WITHOUT the hush box. However, I have the projector mounted in a recess in the ceiling. My conjecture is that the exhausted heat is collecting in the recessed area and causing the heat problem. I'm going to try mounting two small fans -- one that will pull cool air in and one that will exhaust the hot air (placed accordingly). I will contact tech support in the meantime.

Any more input is welcome. I'm suprised that no one else has encountered this problem, but it could be due to the uniqueness of my mounting of the 7200.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Wow, I bet it got real hot in there. I put digital tempmonitors in my box andmeasured in and out. That thing is like a space heater. It would not surprise me that temps got way above operating norm. Hope your fan solves the problem. If you have ameat thermometer it works great to check.

Paul

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just installed a whisper flow hush box for my infoucus 7200. The problem is that the box is completely black and the remote doesn't work well. Any ideas? Maybe cutting an area of the front panel of the box to get signal? Also in the back of the PJ has an input called mini-jack input to connect an IR repeater. Can I connect an external infrared receiver in that mini jack input?

·
Registered
320 Posts
THe IR in jack on the back of the Infocus will allow an input. I use Xantech IR components in my theater and I THINK you will need a reciver plugged into a connecting block with a power supply and then take the output of that to a 1/8 mini into the PJ.

Tom

·
Registered
957 Posts
Vega

Mine is black as well I had Dave leave the fron and bottom clear. But the repeater should work fine for you. I use one that I got in a kit for less than 50bucks.

Paul

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
b00bie,

You are correct. You need an IR receiver, a power supply, a connecting block, and a 1/8" male to male cable with a tip and sleeve (2 contacts). Do not buy one with a tip, ring and sleeve (3 contacts). The two contacts are for signal and ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.