AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using an InFocus 7200 (or corresponding Toshiba MT8)

with a Vutec Silverstar screen?

If so, what size are you using, and do you think it's TOO MUCH

light for this high-gain screen? I'm planning on using a 103"

diagonal 16:9 screen in a mostly light-controlled room.

Would a Firehawk be a better combination in that size?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd like to know also about this combination. Or what projectors would go well with the Silverstar. I am intersted in the IF 7200 and the Sharp 12k, and maybe DWIN TV3 in that order.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I think the SilverStar may be a better choice. I have the Firehawk and feel that dark scenes are excellent, but daylight scenes are a big muted. SilverStar did a better job on daylight scenes now that I've seen it. As DLPs get better and better blacks, I think this will be a better overall screen. I'm pretty sure it will be better for the new 7205 when it comes out. Of course, the problem is with DLP's dynamic range, not so much with the screen, so you have to prioritize day scenes or night scenes. The bigger the screen, the better the SilverStar's advantage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
InFocus 7200 + Silverstar: anyone...?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

If bright is what you like then go for it. I tend to like a brighter picture myself not that I've seen this combination in person.

·
Registered
47 Posts
YOU ALSO HAVE TO REALIZE THE POTENTIAL THE SCREEN HAS. JUST BECAUSE IT IS RATED A SIX GAIN DOES NOT MEAN IT MULTIPLIES THE LIGHT FROM YOUR PROJECTOR. THE SCREEN HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO OVERCOME AMBIENT LIGHT SITUATIONS AND TO DISTRUBE EVENLY ACROSS ITS SURFACE SO ALL CORNERS ARE BRIGHT. IT WILL NOT HOTSPOT OR DISTORT YOUR COLORS.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I like the Silverstar Screen, but I hated it for the SP7200. For the SP7200, go with a large Firehawk or a medium size Greyhawk. This isn't even a close call.

If all you ever watched were bright movie scenes, the two would be fine together. The problem is that the Silverstar elevates the Black levels of the SP7200 to an objectionable level. Any dim low contrast scene looks dreadful. And talk about making MPEG2 artifacts in the shadows visible - Holy Cow!

If you like the Siverstar, pair it with one of the dimmer HD2 or HD2+ PJs.

I liked the Silverstar and the TV3 combo. I have not seen a Sharp 12000, yet, but I'm sure that I would love it paired with a 123" D Silverstar.

As a point of comparison, the TV3 on a 123" Silverstar looks remarkably similar to an SP7200 on a 123" Firehawk in terms of brightness levels and overall punch.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

·
Registered
77 Posts
How well can I expect a 92" SilverStar screen to work with a SP5700 under high ambient lighting. I know my pj is VERY bright but I have alot of light in the room that is difficult to control. I really don't want to go with a grey screen so what else would be a good choice? I'm thinking that a Carada BW might work alright without too much wash-out during the day. Would the SilverStar work better at rejecting the high ambient light? Thanks for any help!!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Since the Infocus 7200 doesnt have the best blacks in the world, the combination may not be the best in the world if you are big into blacks. On the 5700, not sure how well it does blacks so I cant comment. The better the projector the better it does with the Silverstar. Its shows all the good and all the bad of a projector. Although it has been primarly used (I think) on the forum with digital projectors, it works perfectly with CRTS

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ipaqy
How well can I expect a 92" SilverStar screen to work with a SP5700 under high ambient lighting. I
Poorly. The Silverstar has some light rejecting ability, IMO, but nothing like a Firehawk.

This all depends on what you mean by "high" ambient light. No screen is going to do well in what I consider high ambient light. If you are only watching TV, you can probably get by because TV is comprised largely of bright content. If you want to watch movies though, don't expect too much. Even a Firehawk can only do so much to fight ambient light. You need to provide a certain measure of light control, or you are going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
Although it has been primarly used (I think) on the forum with digital projectors, it works perfectly with CRTS
I second the motion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.