Registered
211 Posts
..from www.infocushome.com....

ScreenPlay 7200 Software Revision History

Software Version

v3.2

FIXES

Resolves signal synchronization with 1080p video signals at 50 Hz

Improves compatibility with Toshiba SD-9200 DVD players during 480p mode NAVI menu activation

Improves compatibility with wide range of other DVD players and VCRs

Resolves video performance with True Life-enabled sources

Resolves memory loss of RGB offset and Chroma/Luma detail settings in User Preset menu

ENHANCEMENTS

Improved color temperature white points

Improved automated mode selection accuracy for video sources

v2.9

FIXES

Resolves possible high frequency noise during projector shutdown

Fixes menu control errors

ENHANCEMENTS

Improves video image control and display with several video signal formats

Optimizes image synchronization and display with several video signal formats

Adds service field test patterns for color calibration

v2.5

Initial release

Sounds great, but till Toshiba release a version for the MT8 I'm afraid I'm sticking with v2.5. Look forward to hearing from anyone if it makes any visual differences like the new gammas in 2.9.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The main features of this release that many people could notice are:

- 480p/576p sources will no longer appear as a double image.

- A small chroma delay for 480p/576p sources was corrected.

- The video filtering for non "True-Life" enabled sources has been modified to reduce ringing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I'm not running any high definition sources, and only running a DVD player but I selected it to run in interlaced, would this patch do any thing for me.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi Bob,

You mentioned "main features of this release that many people could notice are: " ... what are the features that YOU would notice , or better still , how about your plain English description of what was done and why ?

Is this a continuous improvement cycle ? How long does Infocus consider improvements to be a valid engineering effort ?

Thanks for the time ,

Scott..............

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Most of the changes are for compatibility. We do have a team working on a continual basis to make sure that sources work with our projectors. Most of the compatibility issues stem from sources that do not actually meet the letter of the signal specifications that they purport to follow.

The two changes I notice are the new color corrections and the video filter changes. Both of these were on a wish list of nice-to-haves and we finally got around to doing the due dilligence to make them work. Both also in my opinion improve the image quality.

As to whether or not these tasks are justifiable engineering efforts, the answer depends on the circumstances. If they provide a benefit to future products then they are much more likely to be considered a positive return on investment in terms of resources. We are currently forming a base of understanding for home products (we're still new at this), so our team is given more slack than usual for taking the time to figure out the feature sets. It's not over yet, although it might be a while before the next maintenance release for the ScreenPlay 7200. And of course, we're working on new products too.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theaterjunky
If I'm not running any high definition sources, and only running a DVD player but I selected it to run in interlaced, would this patch do any thing for me.
If you do not see any problems with the sources you use, then I would not worry about upgrading. The only change I can think of that would affect you is the color correction change, and the change is a subtle one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I decided to do the upgrade haven't tested it yet but hope to get some improvement. Its nice to own projector where the company is always trying to improve what it can do. Looking forward to the next upgrade.

Theaterjunky

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Its nice to own projector where the company is always trying to improve what it can do.
I agree, and thanks in particular to Bob Williams.

Even with my limited knowledge, after years of reading this forum I have come to the conclusion that all these projectors have some issues, even at the > $5000 price point. It may be brightness, black level, fan noise, color wheel whine, size, throw distance, lens quality or something else, but there's always something. Our Infocus 7200 is not perfect and I've occasionally noted little things, but we've never had a bad movie night since installing it and our friends are always awed by the picture. I bought the Infocus assuming it was imperfect, but trusting that Bob's relentlessly straightforward approach on this forum would ensure that I got what was promised and that they would make better over time what they could. They have proven very true to this approach and it's nice to see.

Good price and excellent picture. Thanks for yet another firmware update.

baloo

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob,

Mine upgraded fine..again.

One stupid question.

Do you have to SIMULTANEOUSLY hold down the Keystone Up & Down keys WHILE you plug it in? OR can you press the keys together, let off & then plug it in. (It's hell on a ladder 9' up! :) )

2.9 went in fine but it didn't want to go into "load state" last night for 3.2.

Thanks for the fix!

(My Pioneer DV-47Ai no longer causes double images in progessive mode.)

I have no clue how to do these color adjustments or if they are necessary.

Is there a help document regarding the new controls?

Thanks for continuing to support & update a fine product!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cajunlab
Do you have to SIMULTANEOUSLY hold down the Keystone Up & Down keys WHILE you plug it in? OR can you press the keys together, let off & then plug it in.
Yes, you need to tell the projector to initiate itself as a USB flash device while it is booting, and holding both buttons down while plugging in is the way to do that.
Quote:
I have no clue how to do these color adjustments or if they are necessary. Is there a help document regarding the new controls?
The color correction change is automatic, so no help document is needed.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi Bob ,

Thanks for the response . I/we appreciate your candid and upfront answers as always .

With regards to one of the upgrade items "Improved color temperature white points"

Can you be "very" explicit in what you mean and what was done ?

Thanks in advance ,

Scott...............

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R_K
With regards to one of the upgrade items "Improved color temperature white points"

Can you be "very" explicit in what you mean and what was done ?
I do not believe I can answer this explicitly without potentially violating a non-disclosure agreement. Each color temperature setting (6500K, 7500K, 9300K) is now closer to the absolute color standard (defined in REC-709) than it used to be.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Williams
...And of course, we're working on new products too.

Grrr!!! Dangle the carrot, why don't you!

Steve

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
ditto

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm up and running also. One minor glitch. I downloaded the new firmware and unzipped it to a new directly. I double clicked the installation program and it found installation files, but for some reason it was pointing to the v2.9 directory that I had installed months ago. I didn't notice the directory name so I proceeded to install 2.9 again. The PJ was smarted than me and did not overwrite the firmware and reinitialize the settings. When I turned the PJ on it was still running 2.9 with my previous presets. I cursed for a while then notices the directory name. I manually set it to the 3.2 directory and reinstalled successfully. It works fine. As Bob mentioned above, no tremendous PQ difference. I have not tried the 480P synch fix yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dhp
I'm up and running also. One minor glitch. I downloaded the new firmware and unzipped it to a new directly. I double clicked the installation program and it found installation files, but for some reason it was pointing to the v2.9 directory that I had installed months ago. I didn't notice the directory name so I proceeded to install 2.9 again. The PJ was smarted than me and did not overwrite the firmware and reinitialize the settings. When I turned the PJ on it was still running 2.9 with my previous presets. I cursed for a while then notices the directory name. I manually set it to the 3.2 directory and reinstalled successfully. It works fine. As Bob mentioned above, no tremendous PQ difference. I have not tried the 480P synch fix yet.
LOL--I did the same thing TWICE as well!

Todd/Indy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.