AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havn't owned a projector before and have now been offered to buy a Marantz VP-12S1 that have been a demo unit.

The price for the S1 is about the same as I would pay for a new InFocus 7200 when it's going to be released here in sweden (probably before christmas, I hope.).

Anybody here that have done a direct comparison between these two (or at least seen them both) that can give me some advice?

I have read alot of the new 7200 on this forum that this PJ is very nice but I havn't read anything about how they perform in comparison to each other.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've seen the 7200 but wasn't overly impressed with the pq. The unit I saw didn't have the latest software though, so pq will probably change for the better when it gets upgraded.

There's really only one piece of advice that can be given here, compare them side by side and make your own conclusions.

Cheers,

Magnus

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I myself has hard to belive that the 7200 (that is almost 40% cheaper) could be equal to, or better than the S1 (S2).

It seams that not many people have been able to compare these PJ's so I probably have to do it myself.

I will try to persuade my local dealer to hold the S1 until the 7200 i released so that I can compare these before deciding.

Hmm, Magnus. Are you the editor in chief of the magazine "HemmaBio"?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wendt - I have not seen the 7200 yet, but have seen the Marantz. I have seen almost every digital projector on the market and feel the Marantz is the best DLP available. For me a close second was the Runco 1000 which costs 40% more. (By the way, I don't own the Marantz).

That being said, the initial reports on the Infocus 7200 are quite favorable. Here is a general statement based on what others have said about these two projectors - the Infocus is brighter, but the Marantz has deeper blacks.

These are both excellent projectors - it might come down to your individual issues like, do you have a light controlled room, what is your throw distance.....

As always try to see both if possible. Have fun, Reed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "comparisons" I've read on this forum is between the 7200 and Marantz S2 and not the S1 in which I'm interested in. And if I'm not mistaking myself the S2 has much better CR than the S1.

Is it the S1 you have seen or is it the S2?

Well, I myself want deeper blacks over a brighter image and due to the size of my HT I don't think I need the extra "light" from the 7200.

I have a small HT in my living room that is pretty light controlled and the throw distance is 3 meters (that's 10' i think) and the viewing distance is also 3 meters. So the important things for me is black level, colors and so on, rather than brightness.

Well, if I get the chance I will see them both before deciding. But the dealer want's to sell the S1 that he has got as a demo for a while now (and get the S2 instead) so if another customer wants to buy the S1 I have to decide quickly (and maybe before seeing the 7200). That's why I did this post.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wendt - I saw the first Marantz projector, the S1. I know newer S2 is considered an improvement, but I can't imagine anyone being disapointed in the S1. Based on what little I know about your situation it sounds like the Marantz would be a good choice for you.

Bottom line - these new HD1 and HD2 chip projectors are all very good, and close in image quality. If you can buy the Marantz at a great price then why not do it! Reed.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wendt, I thing you answered your own question. If black is a prime consideration, the Marantz excels. However, the price for a last generation demo unit sounds high given the Infocus is not that much less than the Marantz S2.

But be aware with this projector you need total light control and you should use a screen with at least 1.3-1.5 gain. The low light output of this projector mandates a fully darkened viewing room. If you can't do that, I'd go with the brighter Infocus, which, BTW, has similar contrast specs to the S1. Of course the S2 is notably higher and those who have seen both side by side report the difference is significant, but not earth-shattering. More importantly, it is also a bit brighter.

Good Luck.

Dan

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wendt
The "comparisons" I've read on this forum is between the 7200 and Marantz S2 and not the S1 in which I'm interested in.
wendt:

Have you read all the threads on this forum about flicker problems with S1's? I would buy a S2 or 7200 or nothing at all. As far as your statement that you can't believe a projector for several thousand less can be as good, Infocus is a MUCH larger video projector manufacturer than Marantz and it would not be surprising to me at all that they could manufacture a comparable projector at a lower price point. That said, while I have seen both projectors, I haven't seen the two side by side. They both have their own strengths and will appeal to different users. You also might mention something about your setup - light control, thow distance and screen size.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
You should also consider Noise. I've been reading quite a bit about the 7200 being much more noisy than the Marantz's. Just one more thing to consider. I have an S2 and it's very quiet. It almost never takes me out of my viewing enjoyment. I think the Infocus would really bother me. If i were to start noticing that high-pitch whine, i would really hate that.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
You should also consider Noise. I've been reading quite a bit about the 7200 being much more noisy than the Marantz's. Just one more thing to consider. I have an S2 and it's very quiet. It almost never takes me out of my viewing enjoyment. I think the Infocus would really bother me. If i were to start noticing that high-pitch whine, i would really hate that.
The consensus in this thread so far seems to be that most people are NOT bothered by the noise, even when watching without a sound system on:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=195249

As for me, although I've seen it, I haven't done a hands-on evaluation yet so I can't say.

p.s. Remember the silly claim you made a few weeks ago that all the hype surrounding the 7200 was from dealers with a sales motive? Yet now you state that you think the noise from the 7200 would "really bother me" even though you haven't seen/heard it. Maybe you are the one with a motive and perhaps trying to defend your purchasing decision? Just thought I'd point that out :p.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I agree with QQQ on how some feel about the S1. I would also try to check out the PJ's yourself, as many make a mountain out of a mole hill and try to convince you (sight unseen) to make a decision based on what they have read here in the forum.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Well, since everyone is giving their 2 cents, I will give you mine. based on what people are reporting, the 7200 is indeed a winner. The second gen chips indeed offer better blacks and improved contrast ratios ove the first generation chips. That said, I would rather have a 2nd gen PJ from just about any manufacturer than a 1st gen chip pj. Add to that the fact that the S1 has an incurable flicker that can arise at any time and so-so black levels when compared to the latest chips and I would opt for the 7200. Again, this is based on reports from others, I have not seen it.

My suggestion would be to try and put off the purchase for another week or so when the reviews for the 7200 will be surfacing and issues like black level, fan noise and color will become more readily available.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I would be inclined not to get the S1 (or any HD1 projector at this point) unless the price is really really exceptional.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
However, the price for a last generation demo unit sounds high given the Infocus is not that much less than the Marantz S2.

Dan
Compared to the MSRP of the S2 in sweden $15.000 (same price that the S1 had before) the $9000 price tag seems fair to me.

But if you consider that the InFocus has a MSRP of $9200 (when it comes to sweden) it might be too high. If the 7200 is equal or better.

As you can read above about the set up the room is light controlled and the projected image isn't too large so I don't think the brightness is an issue. My highest prioritys are black level, colors and lack of rainbow effects.

Regarding rainbow effects. I am sensitive about rainbow effects and could see more of those on the Sharp 9000 than the Marantz S1. I can live with the small amount on the S1 but not on the 9000. So how's the 7200 regading rainbows?

Wendt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
wendt:

Have you read all the threads on this forum about flicker problems with S1's?
No, I have not read anything about that. It is something that I havn't seen on the demos I've seen on the S1. Probably should do a search on the forum about that.

Quote:

As far as your statement that you can't believe a projector for several thousand less can be as good, Infocus is a MUCH larger video projector manufacturer than Marantz and it would not be surprising to me at all that they could manufacture a comparable projector at a lower price point.
Yes, InFocus is a much larger manufacturer than Marantz but I find it hard to belive that the price difference could be so big ($5800. That's almost 40% lower) on equal machines (Or as some people in this forum thinks: 7200 is better).

Quote:

You also might mention something about your setup - light control, thow distance and screen size.
See my earlier posting in this thread.

Wendt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Seng
I agree with QQQ on how some feel about the S1. I would also try to check out the PJ's yourself, as many make a mountain out of a mole hill and try to convince you (sight unseen) to make a decision based on what they have read here in the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.