AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Infocus 7205 that has about 465 hours on the bulb. It seems like it's at best only half the brightness it was new (the room now needs to be totally dark to see an "Ok" picture) while using a stewart filmscreen Firehawk screen only 15 feet away. What should I do? Does the warranty cover this type of behavior? Should return it to the dealer I purchased it from or send it back to Infocus? or?

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
If it has been less than 90d and 500 hours then you can get a lamp replacement. Your dealer may be able to convince Infocus that the AND 500 hours means OR 500 hours - good luck on that. If not it is still worth a try to send it in and see if it is a power supply issue instead which would be covered under the full projector warranty.

Try reseating the lamp yourself and jumping to high power mode for a few hours. Lamps do drop off a lot initially before they settle in for the long haul. Make sure nobody sat on your remote and adjusted your contrast accidently though!

Infocus is selling a 1yr extended warranty on lamps now - so early failures are starting to be recognized as an industry problem. I hear HP projectors the lamp is warranted same as projector.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I just got the word from Infocus. I think the 90 day thing is nuts. I'm not even sure if it's not working right or if it's just me getting use to it but it seems just on the border of being just Ok (not a wow anymore). I think I need to visit a local shop to compare. My room has some ambient light and it seems like a sunny day lets in more ambient light than a cloudy day so again, maybe it's just me (we've had lots of sunny days lately). Maybe it's just because the days are longer than when I purchased it... I'm not sure. The bottom line is, They quoted me $495 for a bulb thats only got 465 hours on it... I think thats just not right 90 days or not, it feels like I'm being cheated. Is there some kind of test I can do to tell me for sure it's defective? If I need a new bulb I want to get it fixed and get the pain over with but if it's Ok, I'll really be upset to spend that kind of money for nothing.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I can't speak for your dealer - but I take brightness and contrast measurements of incoming projectors for this very reason. So far I have not had to come back to confirm a failing lamp - but I have the data if I need to.

I suspect however it is just the season - August has been a very sunny month around here. Light control that works with grey skies gets defeated with sunny skies.

What is your impression in a dark room at night - is it still a blow your eyes out plasma torch?

Take it to your shop and do a side by side - but they may have replaced the SP7205 with SP7210. The SP7210 is not any brighter as far as I have measured - but then I only have measured one demo!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks KRAS,

I watched it a little tonight and it looks Ok in total darkness but not the "blow your eyes out plasma torch"...

I like your idea to take it in for an A/B test, then I can decide from there.

Thx,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Kras,

I understand you are very well familiar with IF 7205. Please help me out with correct settings using DVD and highdef TV. what exactly perfect or near perfect settings are? for signal going to projector via DVI and component output. Since there is only one DVI input, which I am using for HDTV and component from DVD (Denon 2910) set for 480i and I just let 7205 do the up conversion.

So, here are the settings I am using 66 & 39 for all three colors, 40 for brightness and 45 for contrast, rest is the orignal factory settings. Due to poor video transfer DVD's some time picture looks patchy, overly red flesh tones associated with noise at dark scenes. Is this normal? where as HDTV always looks breath taking, how do I make DVD looks as good as HDTV or at least half way decent.

Are my settings normal? please assist me in this matter.

Thanks

Sraoof

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Sraoof,

We had a thread on settings months ago - search the archives. Maybe some other SP7205 members recall when it was - feel free to pop it back up once you find it and I can add any further info to it you need.

The 66/39 is only for your DVI input with Video sources.

Have you used a test pattern DVD? That is what you need to get the basic controls right on component - THX Optimizer on recent THX certified DVD's is free and so are the blue glasses from THX - all the way up to AVIA PRO for $400. There is no normal setting for these basic controls - the controls exist because sources vary. I am sure I covered how to set brightness in that thread.

If you are seeing red push faces on component 480i - the only tradeoff is to reduce the video color saturation. There are tests in AVIA for color decoding - you use the blue filter to balance the blues and whites - then you check to see if there is any red push which may be about 10% - and you trade off your blues for reds to get a balance.

Other than that you cannot make poor sources look good when blown up big!

Not trying to derail your question - but nobody else is going to contribute - since this thread is about one guys dim bulb - not calibration. Seems noone else but glz and myself care about a dim bulb!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I'm now at 735 hours and it's now so dim even in total darkness it's not much fun to watch. Anyone else see this kind of problem with such low hours? I was hopping it would be usable for the super bowl but at this point it's almost useless... Anyone know the turn around time with Infocus?

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Hmm are you sure they did not reset your lamp hours with the demo model to begin with?

There was a recent thread on here from a service tech that ran a multi-projector test that said constant on heat buildup did not impact lamp life contrary to popular belief - however he did not verify the brightness against the original spec. He said all projectors were over 200 lumens at the end of the test - that is all they checked - would have been good to know what the actual numbers on the Infocus - as that is not a good number for Infocus (OK for others!) so surely Infocus was brighter at the end. The test used a well ventiliated clean room to test though - so I still suspect overheating buildup could be a cause in your install.

SuperBowl will be tight - service is in Kentucky not Wilsonville (unless you can pull some local strings at HQ for a swap.....). Plan a week shipping, a week or two turnaround, and a week shipping back. Less if you escalate the shipping and hassle service to get it out - but no guarantees.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glz /forum/post/0

well, I'm now at 735 hours and it's now so dim even in total darkness it's not much fun to watch. Anyone else see this kind of problem with such low hours? I was hopping it would be usable for the super bowl but at this point it's almost useless... Anyone know the turn around time with Infocus?

That's weird. I have the lowly 7200.

I just replaced my perfectly bright 2,000 hour bulb with a brand new one purchased from InFocus.

Call me crazy but I didn't notice much of a brightness increase going from old to new.

I'm using a Hi Power screen and it's plenty bright either way.

My new bulb will last another two years and then it'll be time to upgrade to a 1080, 1,000lm, CR>10k:1

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos /forum/post/0

That's weird. I have the lowly 7200.

I just replaced my perfectly bright 2,000 hour bulb with a brand new one purchased from InFocus.

Call me crazy but I didn't notice much of a brightness increase going from old to new.

I'm using a Hi Power screen and it's plenty bright either way.

My new bulb will last another two years and then it'll be time to upgrade to a 1080, 1,000lm, CR>10k:1

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glz /forum/post/0

Andrikos, Why did you replace your old bulb if it was still working and the new bulb isn't brighter?

Good question.

I'm using the 2,000 hour bulb as a reliable replacement in the event of failure of the new bulb.

If the new one fails within the first 90 days, I'll send it back for replacement and still have a backup to hold me over.

I guess I got really lucky with the first one, hopefully the second one will be as good.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the 7205 with over 1000 hours on it and it's plenty bright (110" diagonal) with brightness and contrast set at around 48/50 on economy bulb mode.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Any 7200/7205/7210 users start with an ND2 filter which you no longer use? If so, how many hours did you get on the lamp before having to take the filter off?

I have about 250 hours on my 7210 (with ND2 to 120" Firehawk) and can already see the image losing its original pop.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
f1restarter , That's what i expected... Have you noticed any notable dimming since new? Even on full power mine looks dark...

I sure hope this dimming is not the norm...

If we can only expect 500 hours of really great performance then it's time to move on to something else...

·
Registered
529 Posts
i should've mentioned, the bulb had about 700 hours on it when i bought it from a local dealer (John) who is also AVS reseller and it was his demo model that he gave me at a great price plus he gave me a brand new bulb for a much lower cost. I have seen the 7205 on a brand new bulb as well so i know it is very bright when new, to know the difference but from what you are describing it really seems to be a problem with the bulb.

Even now my 7205 with over 1000 hours is watchable in some ambient light i.e kitchen light. I have never ever felt the need to turn on the high power mode, even now and the image is being thrown on a bare white wall (yes i know i need a screen!). Im linking some screenshots i took when i bought the 7205. This is with the old bulb and with over 744+ hours at the time.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7466601

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yeh, when you get a real screen it will be so bright it will be as KRAS described (a blow your eyes out plasma torch)...

I can see from your picture with the amount of light coming through the window and no high gain screen, yours looks brighter than mine...

·
Registered
529 Posts
So now you know the problem is with the bulb. I just need to muster up some cash for the Firehawk which is an ideal combination for the 7205 cinema heaven!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Or you cheap out in the meantime - even DaLite HCCV fabric stretched and stapled/velcroed on artists bars/slats would do more justice than a textured wall! Low $$$! Then you sell it to your buddy (include your DIY time) who is throwing on his wall when you upgrade to a FireHawk!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts