AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a DVI/MA connection from my DVD/scaler combo, but switched to a direct component connection between the DVD player & PJ and have finished running the cables (Beldon 1694a). This has given me some new options like:

color saturation

tint (not necessary)

"stretch" and "naturalwide" for 4:3 (I know it's butchering)

noise reduction

luma detail

chroma detail

Can someone explain this one? The manual just says "adjusts color sharpness". I've adjusted it over the entire scale, but for the life of me I can't see any change in the picture.

CSS (removes color from the luma signal)

This is OFF for component by default. Is there a situation wher I would need it ON with my component connection?

Film Mode (2:2/3:2 for 24, 2:2 for 30 fps)

How do I know which one I'm sending to the PJ? I'm assuming DVDs are 24 fps film transfers, right? What are 30 fps sources? HDTV? Certain special DVDs?

Also, with my component connection I'm noticing a faint, slowly upwards scrolling "white horizontal line" across the screen. Also, each individual mirror/pixel seems to flicker (dithering?) a little more now than it did with the DVI connection. Are these symptoms of bad component cables, or just inherent of the component connection?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Guy
I was using a DVI/MA connection from my DVD/scaler combo, but switched to a direct component connection between the DVD player & PJ and have finished running the cables (Beldon 1694a). This has given me some new options like:

color saturation

tint (not necessary)

"stretch" and "naturalwide" for 4:3 (I know it's butchering)

noise reduction

luma detail

chroma detail

Can someone explain this one? The manual just says "adjusts color sharpness". I've adjusted it over the entire scale, but for the life of me I can't see any change in the picture.

CSS (removes color from the luma signal)

This is OFF for component by default. Is there a situation wher I would need it ON with my component connection?

Film Mode (2:2/3:2 for 24, 2:2 for 30 fps)

How do I know which one I'm sending to the PJ? I'm assuming DVDs are 24 fps film transfers, right? What are 30 fps sources? HDTV? Certain special DVDs?

Also, with my component connection I'm noticing a faint, slowly upwards scrolling "white horizontal line" across the screen. Also, each individual mirror/pixel seems to flicker (dithering?) a little more now than it did with the DVI connection. Are these symptoms of bad component cables, or just inherent of the component connection?
I won't have a 7210 until end of week, but I can address your main question from my 4805 experience. Your Faroudja processor is bypassed when using DVI (or any 480p/720p/1080i) source. Only 480i signals are flagged for those sort of options you've noted above. That processor's (FLI2310) job is to take a non-HD source (DVD, SDTV) and process it into some kind of watchable. Most of it is compensation for lack of color depth and resolution.

Kras can -- and I hope will -- address the particulars.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
You must be runing 480i not 480p so that the Faroudja can do its thing.

You really need the AVIA test DVD to tweak these controls.

For noise reduction - use the moving zone plates until the grey background is quiet while the moving foreground leaves no streaks

For chromadetail/delay - use the chroma delay pattern and look at the color edges against B&W to line them up and sharpen them a bit.

I use maybe 20% depending on the DVD player.

Never use luma detail - gross edge enhancement.

You are suffering from video hum - see the audio setup forum sticky on audio hum for troubleshooting.

CCS is for better seperation of chroma and luma from a composite signal. Even if you have a component signal - maybe your TV broadcast does a bad job.

Film mode engages the 48Hz for judder free motion from a 60Hz film. You need to select the 2:2 and 48Hz options. 2:2 from 30fps is for those films that have been recoded to 30Hz (some Anime arelike this). Use the ending horse race in SeaBiscuit and watch the dirt/crowd pans - you cannot see judder until you get rid of it - then you will curse 30/60Hz displays forever as evil. AFAIK Infocus has an exclusive on this Faroudja feature and it is only engaged on the top-of-the-line models (evne though the SP4805 has the same Faroudja)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.