AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like this 777 on paper. i currently have the 7200. i am chomping at the bit to get a "better" projector. 777 is really al that looks good right now. i just wonder, why not more buzz? what is the problem with the 777?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was invited to the unveiling of the prototypes at last CES and it really looked nice. I personally like the Seleco 500 better but both were not in ideal rooms. You could not go wrong with the Seleco,Infocus 777 or the Sony Qualia. I have a 7200 also and my theory is that soon enough they will not be $30,000 or even $23,000 once new models come out these might be more attractive to buy.

Larry

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darryl b
i like this 777 on paper. i currently have the 7200. i am chomping at the bit to get a "better" projector. 777 is really al that looks good right now. i just wonder, why not more buzz? what is the problem with the 777?
I think the two biggest problems are that there are multiple 3 chip 720p DLPs without huge differences and then the Qualia and HD2K for the same price. The 3 chip DLPs have the advantage of high CR and high lumens at the same time, but the other two have basically twice as many pixels. There are some setups where I would recommend one and some where I would recommend another, but for the majority of setups I would most likely recommend the Qualia before one of these 3 chip DLPs.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
darrl,

I agree too. 3-chippers have to be cheaper or better, and they are neither. I recently saw the 777 and wasn't impressed at all. The blacks were way too high. It uses the older HD2 chips. Most current HD2+ PJ's look better in that regard.

I think we're all in a holding pattern. There needs to be a big breakthrough/cost drop.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
darryl b

I am an InFocus dealer and have on display the SP777 and have posted here many times my observations of the SP 777 compared to my Sony VPH 1292 9" CRT projector. The SP777 beats that crt in every parameter except absolute black level and absolute resolution. This last one is not that big of a deal if you work within some fair limits as today the best resolution we are getting is 1440X1080i.

There is little comparison to your SP7200 as the SP777 is just on a whole nother planet. It is just that good.

I find it VERY interesting when folks chime in with their subjective reviews of this or that projector. Unless you know where they are coming from their insights are at best of little value.

As far as prices go the SP777 is at least 10% and more like 20% less than any other 3 chipper and about 20% less than the Qualia. That's a BIG $6,000.00 savings. Can put 6 grand to better use in your system? But it is still not for everyones budget. I'm not sure the JVC is shipping yet but it's light output is so low I would think a good used CRT would be a smarter choice.

Both the Qualia and the JVC have a fairly low contrast ratio less than 2000:1. where as the SP777 has a contrast ratio of >3000:1. This is no small detail. Also the bulb costs $900 verses Qualia's $3000, JVC?

I feel that given the current options AND their costs, the InFocus SP 777 is the best all around HI-END choice for just about everyone and will be hard to beat for a long time to come.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Fleener
As far as prices go the SP777 is at least 10% and more like 20% less than any other 3 chipper and about 20% less than the Qualia.
I hope you aren't saying $24k for the SP777 with lens by naming street for it while using MSRP for the Qualia (as your $6k figure pretty much indicates). We should either compare street to street or MSRP to MSRP. Anything else is not really being honest. I haven't heard street prices for the SP777 that would put it about 20% less than street prices for the Qualia. If so, your price is lower than I figured (and the $6k would be more than 20% of the current street prices for the Qualia).
Quote:

Both the Qualia and the JVC have a fairly low contrast ratio less than 2000:1. where as the SP777 has a contrast ratio of >3000:1.
Last time we discussed this you hadn't measured it. Have you now measured it? If not, then this proclamation doesn't hold much water IMO. The 7200 and 7205 have both measured well below specs for CR, so saying that InFocus delivers more than the spec also wouldn't really hold up. What is your basis for claiming >3000:1?

And where do you come up with your proclamation that the JVC is less than 2000:1? I have not seen any reputable person give a measurement of less than 2000:1. In fact, every one I've heard about has been over 2000:1. The two I've had have been about 2400:1 out of the box (PC levels and without recalibration though). The numbers I've seen from William Phelps have also been over 2000:1, as well as a JVC representative telling me that they are consistently getting close to the numbers I got for the two I measured.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
I find it VERY interesting when folks chime in with their subjective reviews of this or that projector. Unless you know where they are coming from their insights are at best of little value.
And who are you Mr. ISF Certified? Just because you are ISF certified, doesn't mean diddly. The last ISF calibrator I hired was so bad that I wouldn't let him calibrate my toaster.

Please don't dis some of us, because you don't know us. I happen to be a 25 year professional Director/Cameraman who works, shoots and edits HD on a daily basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.