AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been debating between getting a dlp projector and a plasma, and I'm going more and more in the direction of projectors. Right now it looks like my best bet is to wait for the Infocus HT projectors that are supposed to be coming out soon. I would be interested in the higher end model, which is rumored to retail at around $4999. Anyone have an idea what the street price on this thing is going to be?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you're talking about the Infocus LP530 XGA DLP with 2000 lumens, 4:3 aspect ratio unit, it's out already. You can order one from Dell (backordered but still available) for 4K after 20% discount ( http://dell1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4399484000X1100763X77804X ). Click on link to go there and put stuff in cart. When you check out it'll give you discount in red. Ground shipping is free too. Offer ends 10/4/01. It's received good reviews from our members and should be great for Svideo, composite, or progressive sources. It does have some light leakage and halo as do most DLP but masking should help (see this link for my cheap solution to Virtual Masking: www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/009213.html )

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The unit as sold will not accept 480p. I do believe with the optional video module 480p will be option but with that additional cost I think you would be better off with a Cinema 13HD which is an actual home theatre projector as opposed to a business presentation unit that was meant to display powerpoint presentations.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The 530 is a business projector-the Infocus HT projectors will have a 16:9 panel for real theatrical aspect home theatre-

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats correct, the LP 530 is not the HT model. The HT model is not out yet. Also, I thought the LP 530 could not receive 480p signal?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is it just me, or does that picture look suspiciously like a 530?.....

I've ruled out the 530 as it looks too noisy from the specs. There is an economy mode which knocks down the brightness and fan speed but I've not seen any figures for how loud it is in this mode.

Ian Guinan

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Guinan:
I've ruled out the 530 as it looks too noisy from the specs
You owe it to yourself to listen to the noise, not look at it... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

YMMV, but I don't find it objectionable at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
You owe it to yourself to listen to the noise, not look at it...
Hoho.I've tried listening to the 'specs', and they are very quiet indeed http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif I take your point...but a quoted 39dB seems very loud..the 530 isn't available over here yet to have a listen too. The question is do I buy an LT150 now or do I wait for the Infocus?

Do you have a 530? Do you run it in the economy mode? How far away from your viewing position is it? Can you hear it?

Thanks.

Ian Guinan

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Ira,

-- I have a 530, just getting it set up, not ceiling mounted yet, so I'll update this info in a week or two when cables arrive & get the CRT off the ceiling.

-- 84" 4x3 screen 1.3 Stewart screen, seating distance about 11 feet. PJ on table next to me (ca. 3 feet from my ear). HTPC as signal source.

-- I'm running in economy mode, I don't notice the sound at all - even when web surfing with no sound. Very minor brightness difference (I've notched it down from 50 to 40 anyway).

-- There is a faster or additional fan in normal mode, more noticable but not objectionable. Once on the ceiling, it may be fine. In any case, it is not really noisier than my LD player.

-- In either mode, once the 5.1 surround kicks in, I don't notice the 530 fans.

-- pixels are not an issue, color fidelity/adjustment on the 530 is great (have not seen LP340/350, but played with an LP425z - much improved over that).

·
Registered
93 Posts
InFocus LS110

Keep an eye out next week.

------------------

Projector Man

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry guys.....

can't let Al Qaeda find out. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just Prelims nothing official.

Early next week.

------------------

Projector Man

[This message has been edited by projectorman (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Sound like this is going to be the low-end (848x600 DMD) HT projector.

See this earlier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/009135.html

it discusses this projector which is supposed to come out in November.

Rumor has it that the big boy (HD1 or HD2 DMD) is supposed to come out early next year.

-phil

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think PhilB has a fairly good rumor source.

------------------

Projector Man

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I just saw that InFocus is posting their quarterly results on Wednesday the 17th. I would imagine that the LS110 announcement will be made either before or in conjunction with the results. This jives with what projectorman hinted.

-phil

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.