AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Infocus 7200 for 4-5 years. It's time to upgrade to a 1080p projector. I have a Carada Brilliant White (1.4 gain) 118", 1:78 screen. I'm thinking of going to a 124 or 126" screen. Our seats are about 13-14 feet away. Our viewing is an equal mix between dvd's, sports, ps3/xbox 360. We do about 25% of our viewing during the day in a non light controlled room. All viewing at night is of course dark, but the room is our family room so it's not bat cave dark. I've never seen a rainbow so that's not a problem.

I've seen in 83's for a s low as 3,600 bucks. I know the RS 10/20 are quite a bit more. I love a brite sharp picture and have been very happy with the 7200. Any step up from the 7200 not so black, blacks should be dramatic. I'd like to save 2500-3000 if the picture of the rs 10/20 is not dramatically better. What do you guys think. Thanks a lot.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Amazing, 90 views and not one reply. Do you guys/gals even look or compare a projector to others before you buy it. It seems when the newest, latest, greatest projector comes out all the buyers are like a bunch of sheep and just follow the leader. And then there are the 100 pages of threads congradulating each other on our great purchase and then the tweaking starts. It seems more are interested in tweaking/adjusting the projector then watching it. I can understand why there is zero replies because it seems purchasers are more interested in threads and tweaking then watching their new hot projector.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the intelligent responses. Jeffy, just don't compare your pound to anything, it sucks.

The IN-83 and the RS-10 are the same price. Now if there was only a comparison of the two. Would a new RS-20 for 5,200 be a good deal. Does anyone know what % brighter and sharper the IN-83 is over the RS 10/20 and how much blacker the RS 10/20 is over the IN-83. Thanks.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
The IN83 will be sharper and have a higher contrast and dimensionality in brighter scenes. The RS10 will have much better contrast in dark scenes. The IN83 will have more natural colors and is known to have very natural skin tones. The RS10 tend to have oversaturated greens and reds which sometimes gives faces a sunburnt appearance and grass a neon green look. Some people like the oversaturation some don't.

Nobody can tell you which projector you will like better or how big the difference in contrast will be to you. Either you have to go on which features you like/which flaws you can live with, based on second hand opinion, or go see them for yourself. However, what some people might think is a huge difference might be totally negliable to you. Thats why it's so hard to tell you what to choose.

For example, after reading a lot of ravings about the RS1 and RS2 I thought they would have really good performance in general and dark scenes in particular. Howver when I saw an RS2 I was utterly unimpressed. In my opinion both the IN83 and the RS2 look crappy in really dark scenes due to lack of contrast, whereas the IN83 looks really good in brighter scenes where the RS2 is only average. To me, even though the RS2 has much lower black level in dark scenes, the eyes quickly adapts and the difference is not percieved as that big anyway (despite the huge difference in on/off contrast spec). Therefore I prefer the look of the IN83. However, someone else might have the exact opposite opinion ( I know a lot of people on AVSF do). So it's all about preferences.

Good luck!

Edit: Saw that you were also considering the RS20. Just want to say the the colors on this one should be much more natural than on the RS10.

· Registered
136 Posts
Possibly a silly question but have you checked that the IN83 will fit your setup? It has a longish throw and quite a high fixed offset.

Based on what I've seen of the JVC RS2 and the IN83 and what others have reported about the RS10 vs the RS2 I would definitely go for the RS10, a few reasons why:

The RS10 should be much quieter than the IN83, it may even be quieter in high lamp mode than the IN83 is in eco lamp mode.

Light output from the RS10 shouldn't be too far off what the SP7200 gave you when new, especially if you can position it near minimum throw distance for your screen size.

The higher ansi-contrast of the IN83 won't be that useful in a normal room, the higher on/off-contrast of the JVC will be apparent if you can control ambient light.

Colours are a wash imho. The RS10 should be similar to the RS1/RS2 which not everyone accepts. The IN83 is lacking in it's green colour, many DLPs are and I believe the SP72xx models are also. This incorrect green bothers me more than the oversaturated colours of the JVCs.

You really need to see both in action. Only you can know which type of image you prefer of these two.

· Registered
186 Posts
I went through the same decision making between the RS1x and IN83. In the 30 plus years I have worked in the A/V business I have learned that specs can be a guideline but thats about it. I took home three projectors. The RS1x, Epson 1080 and IN83. I was coming off a SP7210. I had read a lot of good things about all three. I have a 106'' High Contrast Cinema Vision Grey screen. Please keep in mind that atleast for myself I was and had been use to a DLP projector with the 7210. All three nice in their own way. However the IN83 won hands down to my eyes and on my current screen. The JVC was a clear runner up. The JVC just didnt have the sharpness, colors and 3D pop I personally like. The black and shadow details on darker seens may have been a little better on the JVC, but the IN83 black levels and shadow detail were not only fine, they were very good as well and the other things as mentioned above like color, sharpness, brightness when needed and just the dynamics of the picture looked the best on the IN83. (To me and my eyes.) People like different things or we would all own Bose Speakers and the same TV or Projector. (Bose-Oh my god!) Thanks goodness we dont all see and hear and like the same things.

Anyway the IN83 won it for me. However there is the installation issue mostly because of offset of the IN83. I could only mount it at the 8' level and I didnt want to use keystone adjustments nor have to sit the bottom of my screen on the floor. I have a fixed screen, so to compensate for the offset and 8' mounting, I tilted the top of my screen out 1.5 inches and no one can notice, I have zero keystone issues and the picture looks uniform and fantastic. I can leave my iris fully at 100 for a bright plasma like picture or tone it down. I usually leave the Iris set at 45-55 depending on whats being watched.The settings out of the box on the IN83 were pretty dead on. BluRay on the IN83 is hard to beat as well. Very 3D and great colors.

Also the scaling and picture on non HD material looked better compared to the JVC and Epson. I havent mentioned the Epson much because it did nothing for me. Each projector was left in place for about a day so I could watch many different sources on each. Good luck and with either projector you will probably be happy but if you are use to DLP technology you will, like me, probably favor the IN83. Oh---Like you mentioned, I use to be one of those people that spent more time tweeking and picking a picture apart until I realized that its much more enjoyable to enjoy whats being watched. I use to sit and look for flaws so hard I never enjoyed the content of what was on. Much nicer to be able to sit back and just enjoy a beautiful picture watching a movie or TV show with great sound. Enjoy whatever you buy!

· Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Well,as of this moment the IN83 is my dream update to my 7210 but of course with the way technology improves things could change by the time Im ready for the change.

Regards

· Registered
61 Posts
I compared during 1 month the RS2 vs Planar 8150 (DLP) and in the end I choose the Planar 8150...brighter, sharper, no motion blur and much better colors...and in very dark scenes the Planar have a very good black level (no much difference against the RS2 IMO).

I think only the RS20 can compare against the IN83...the RS10 have many flaws to be considered an option against a good DLP.

· Registered
71 Posts
I have not seen any of these, but from my reading, the JVC RS series have too many potential issues, especially the rs-10 at a similar price to the IN-83. If I did not have the offset installation issue, I would have purchased the Infocus without hesitation to replace my current 1080i/720p DLP.

· Registered
61 Posts
I not tried the IN83 because the installation issues (no horizontal and vertical lens shift)

I picked the Planar because is one of few DLPs that have a lens shift.

The Dynamic Iris come as a bonus because increased significantly the black level without the known issues of DI.

The only problem was the price...much more expensive then the IN83

· Registered
74 Posts
I jumped from the 7200 to the Marantz VP15S1 and I haven't looked back. The blacks are much improved and I still have that 3D pop that you get from DLP. I looked at the JVC RS2 at the time and I was not impressed enough to get one. The RS20 I haven't seen so I can't comment on it. I wish you well in your pursuit.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them. I'm leaning towards the Infocus IN-83. I like/need a bright picture. The blacks compared to my Infocus SP-7200 should be a big change. The RS-20 may have better blacks, but I believe like someone else mentioned that it's all relative. You may be able to see a difference in blacks in a side by side comparison on the same screen, but go in two different rooms and the difference will not seem as great, especially with the much greater briteness/pop of the IN-83.

I'm also concerned about a few of the problems that seem to be popping up in the RS-20 threads. A 6k+ new projector shouldn't have any problems. I never thought about a Marantz VP15s1 because of the cost. What does a used one sell for. I'll probably wait until after CES to buy to see if there is anything new, and hopefully some price drops.

· Registered
6,347 Posts
people here will be biased towards whatever current technology they prefer. you can see it here:

Comments that the RS2 has less depth to the IN83 in brighter scenes as if the RS2 is junk but then when comparing darker scenes the difference is "not that big. your eyes will adjust, etc" because the RS2 is the pj and technology they do not prefer betters what they do prefer.

Same with sharpness. You'd think how some talk about the RS2 that it was covered in vasoline and a blurry mess. I have a RS2 and the thing is friggin sharp. I do not doubt that a good DLP is sharper but it can't be THAT much sharper in the sense that it is physically impossible but the way some go on about it you'd think the RS2 looks like a dvd and a good dlp looks like a bluray in sharpness. Maybe my RS2 is really good compared to most RS2s in this area or those who saw RS2s and found them to not be sharp saw units with issues. I have no idea but when I read comments on sharpness with it I just have to roll my eyes. I can also tell you the depth in bright scenes is very good and approaches my kuro plasma which will have more depth than a DLP unit does...although I am sure if you say that about a plasma to someone who feels DLP is the best display technology they would say "well if you let your eyes adjust they appear to have the same depth"

I really can't give you good advice other than try and view them with your own eyes. Everyone on here will give a biased opinion in the sense that whatever they prefer the negatives with it will be lessened in importance and the positives will be increased in importance.

· Registered
2,285 Posts
I think that single chip DLP will always be a touch sharper than any of the three chipper designs, and for obvious reasons. With that being said, I find the images projected from JVC's RS series projectors to be much more film like and natural than any of the single chip DLP's I've seen.

· Registered
22,745 Posts

Quote:
I think that single chip DLP will always be a touch sharper than any of the three chipper designs, and for obvious reasons. With that being said, I find the images projected from JVC's RS series projectors to be much more film like and natural than any of the single chip DLP's I've seen.

SXRD, LCD, D-ILA and DLP all have a somewhat different look. I prefer DLP myself, but I think all the new projectors I've seen, both at CES and elsewhere, are outstanding looking for the money. Including the new LCD units.

That said, if you like the DLP look, I'd start by seeing if the IN83 works in your setup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.