AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Projectors in general. Actually I have never had any experience with them at all.

With that said, I am looking to build an outdoor home theater in my campground. I figure I will be catering to roughly 20-30 viewers at a time. Lighting will be outdoors, so very little ambiant, but not completely black. I plan to build an 8X12 screen with painted birch plywood. A simple 2 channel Yamaha reciever and my trusty Cerwin Vega towers will supply sound. I will run it all through a laptop or upscaling DVD player.

What I am really confused with is the requirements I will need for a projector. I have a line on a used Infocus IN24 that I can pick up for right around $300. My question is, will this projector produce an image that will look professional and crisp? Quality is a concern for me, even though this is a low budget build. I would like to have a crisp image with a nice bright picture and good quality color. Not asking much hey?..haha. Will the IN24 live up to my expectations? Is $300 a decent deal on this model.

The last question I have is, are there any projectors that I should be looking into that might better suit my needs. I would like to keep the costs down as much as possible, but I also don't want to do this outdoor theater and be disapointed with the performance.

Thanks for any input. I am all ears.

SHMO

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It will look decent if you have never used a projector before, but you need to be careful about how much the bulb has been used or you could be spending another $300 on a bulb in a month. I would bargain down the price to $200

My advice is wait untl you can afford a 720p projector. For around $550

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering about the bulb and it's lifespan. I definately would not like to get $600 wrapped up into an outdated projector before I even got started with this project. I am thinking I might be better off biting the bullet and purchasing a new or reconditioned projector.

I have heard on another website that presentation projectors are better suited to outdoor venues due to the fact that they usually have higher lumens, and that they are designed to work with more ambient light. Is there any truth to this?

What about LCD versus DLP for outdoors? Is one going to be a better choice with everything else being equal?

Are there any projectors you can suggest that would be a good fit for my needs?

I really appreciate the advice.

SHMO

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
DLP vs LCD is just a personal choice. They are so close now, you just need to go by the individual projector reviews. Lumens on the box are very misleading. You need to read reviews so find out how many lumens the projectors actually have. You will need a fairly bright projector for that size screen. Maybe even a bright crossover projector like this . I would still suggest not using it until the sun goes down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.