AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an Infocus IN78 projector which has a mfg suggested retail price of $4500. There are many dealers asking just a few dollars under the MRSP and then there are a few asking around $3000. What is the deal? I wonder what price Infocus is selling to their distributors. One dealer asking $3000 is bestpricecameras.com.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=776435

They are claiming new in box with full mfg warranty. Their S&H is outrageous, but even with that , the price only $3125. Has anyone ever ordered from this company before and if so can you give me some feedback. I do not want to pay MRSP, but I also don't want to jump at the lowest price and end up with a lemon.

Thanks,

Thomas

GomerTx

·
Registered
566 Posts
the IF IN78 is way overpriced in most people's opinion. (except IF dealers)

Lots of better options for the price.

But if you have to have one, then buy from an authorized dealer, or else no warranty.

Then again, Infocus realistically may not be around in a year or two, so maybe an after market warranty might be a better way to go. In that case, buy at the best price from a reliable source.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Stay away from any Brooklyn based sellers. Always check resellerratings, pricegrabber, and bizrate before buying from any place.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Now please understand that I am just a "fan" not an "expert."

However, I have owned two DLP projectors and seen dozens of all types.

I currently own an InFocus 7210 and I do like InFocus products!

The LAST projector out there I would currently consider is probably the IN78! This is a very strong statement, but I spent 30+ minutes at CES looking at the 78, going back and forth to the IN76. Perhaps it was the venue or the setup, but all I can tell you is I could only see a teensy difference between the two. I would strongly suggest you save some money and buy the IN76 instead.

Optoma has recently released their HD73 which uses the same DMD as the IN78, except it is selling for less than $2k. The marketing folks at IF are smoking something very very illegal if they feel the IN78 is worth $4.5k!!!

Before I would even consider that their are numerous choices in that price range that would be much better... heck find a new 7210 out there it would probably be cheaper and twice as good! Several of the new 1080p machines can be had in that price range!

Never ever buy an InFocus from anyone except an authorized dealer (unless it is used of course). IF is absolutely death on greymarket purchases, you will immediately find yourself on an island.

·
Registered
32 Posts
HoStevo,

That's interesting about the IN76-IN78 I had a demo of the IN76 and I now own an IN78 and I can safely say the IN78 is much better to my eyes than the IN76 in terms of black level and contrast.

I read your comments on another thread about the course image it showed do you know what setup they had in their demo room, I'am running my IN78 from an older Philips 963SA dvd player (progressive output) 576p via component and I find the image first class its bright, sharp with beautiful colours. Perhaps the machine you saw wasn't setup properly or may have been a bad unit who knows, I can highly recommend the IN78 it's a stunning projector.

One more thing which may be of interest is the price, I paid £1900 for my machine so if you take off the UK vat at 17.5% ( US prices are cheaper because of this ) the IN78 works out at a shade under $3k.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by df4801 /forum/post/0

Then again, Infocus realistically may not be around in a year or two, so maybe an after market warranty might be a better way to go. In that case, buy at the best price from a reliable source.

I read a similar statement elsewhere in the Digital projector area. Being a proud new owner of an IN72. I have to wonder whats the deal with everybody thinking they may tank? I heard something about a lack of a 1080p projector is that it? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klippie /forum/post/0

HoStevo,

That's interesting about the IN76-IN78 I had a demo of the IN76 and I now own an IN78 and I can safely say the IN78 is much better to my eyes than the IN76 in terms of black level and contrast.

I read your comments on another thread about the course image it showed do you know what setup they had in their demo room, I'am running my IN78 from an older Philips 963SA dvd player (progressive output) 576p via component and I find the image first class its bright, sharp with beautiful colours. Perhaps the machine you saw wasn't setup properly or may have been a bad unit who knows, I can highly recommend the IN78 it's a stunning projector.

One more thing which may be of interest is the price, I paid £1900 for my machine so if you take off the UK vat at 17.5% ( US prices are cheaper because of this ) the IN78 works out at a shade under $3k.

Klippie.........

Glad to hear your IN78 is doing well for you. I did not search for the remote to check their setup on the projector... sometimes the folks get a bit "testy" about that!

However as always the best advice is to try and see the projector yourself and let your own eyes make the decision....... Displays are subject to variations in quality of signal, setup, and the bulb itself....... which is why we always say YMMV!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.