AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
IT sounds like InFocus may beat all of the "real" home theater manufactures to the punch with the first DLP HT projector to support HDCP.

I'm speculating that they will be putting DVI on their upcoming HT projectors, I don't have any hard evidence.

-phil

·
Registered
260 Posts
Owow.... forget that Sharp thingie! ESP of $6199!?? What does that mean in real lfe? Oct. 15, eh?

The integrated TCP/IP network controls seems like a very cool feature to integrate with an HTPC - although it sounds as though the software isn't avaialble yet. Definitely something to keep an eye on - unless 3000 lumens would burn you out. This could be a huge jump for FPs. Infocus has been too quiet lately; maybe we can hope for something similar for the "Infocus XGA HT" system...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
bbordner,

This new projector is 4:3 aspect ratio, 1024x768 resolution. Given the number of 16:9 projectors now or soon to be on the market, I'd be hard pressed to pick a 4:3 proj for a dedicated HT projector.

-phil

·
Registered
260 Posts
Too true - but whip some 16:9 LCD panels (think it's LCD) in this box and it would be very serious competition for the PLV-60, Sharp, etc. Not like that is easy.

It really could set a new price/features level. Hope Infocus/Proxima continues to get their act together.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The PDF also references DVDO deinterlacing... This thing may be a great projector for people who don't want to initially invest in an external scaler.

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The end is near. HDCP is pure evil.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good, this means that when they finally release their HT projectors they will probably be HDCP compliant, and I will have no reservations with buying one.... I had better start saving some money :)

Only one problem I see with this particular projector. It doesn't say it has compatibility with 480p, so I guess you can't use a progressive scan dvd player with it. Or maybe this just means that it doesn't display 480p, but would upconvert it to something else?

[This message has been edited by LordFortius (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I don't think it takes 480p. OTOH, the SI deinterlacing chip in this projector should do a better job deinterlacing than anything other than a Faroudja based DVD player or scaler.

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi,

that's sounds very promising. A contrast ratio of 800:1, MLA and 3000 Ansi Lumen is worth a serious view.

Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Now if only they will have the same capabilities on a 16:9 DLP

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The choice of DVDO scaling is interesting since InFocus is using Faroujda for their projectors.

-phil

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
While Proxima is now owned by Infocus, they actually have different engineering departments that create somewhat different products. I understand that they plan to continue this approach for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, it makes some sense that Proxima would use the DVDO chip set while Infocus (on its own brand) uses the Faroudja.

We will have to follow these developments closely. Infocus is the largest company and really could make more waves in the HT marketplace, either directly or through crossover machines.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I also support boycotting any product that conforms to the HDCP standard. Smith and Wesson almost went out of business when they were the first to comply with a new government started safety system. The buyers refused to buy Smith and Wesson guns, even though they were very good products. It worked there, but I don't think it will here. Gun consumers are notoriously well informed, while most A/V consumers(not us) are not.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Infocus comes so close to making an excellent HT machine at presentation machine prices. Let's see if they can close the gap.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
As a gesture of opposition against the DMCA, I would ask that all Forum members boycott the purchase of the Proxima DP8000, or any other product containing features designed to implement HDCP.

Furthermore I would encourage the purchase of products from manufacturers who are still holding the line against HDCP.

The consumer has all the power - vote against this legislation with your wallet.

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.