AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the LP530 to replace my LP340. Figured I'd save my first post for something worth while. I've been reading the forum for months, but it took something like this projector to make me post.

Seems that a lot of attention has been paid to the NEC LT150 and that it kind of took the top honors among the entry level projectors who's intended use was the home theater arena. We'll, I was seriously thinking about going to such an animal. I had a problem with it's non-zooming capabilities and it's bulb life. On a chance, I submitted to InFocus that I would like to have a demo of the new LP530. Guess what they called back!!!!!! I had a demo arranged within 2 weeks in my own town - Sin City... Las Vegas. I was concerned that the projector would not be what some have made it out to be. I really wasn't that impressed by the 340, don't get me wrong, I thought it was a solid performer, but had trouble with colors mostly, and had some (not alot, but some) problems with rainbow. The biggest problem for me was the color scales. Yellows were a little towards the neon-green side, greens were a little toward the neon-yellow side. Whites seem to bloom no matter where contrast was set. I found myself always playing with the briteness and contrast settings. I guess I wanted a little more out of it than it was capable of. I screwed up by comparing it to a Yah. DPX 1. Guess that was the first problem. Well, hooked up the LP530 with some hesitation only to be blown away! Without even so much as a glance at the color bars, the picture was awsome. NTSC didn't produce crazy colors (as it did on the LP340), nor did I have a hard time seeing GOOD/GREAT BLACKS and detailed whites.

I dropped the projector down to the conversation mode, which I believe is rated at 1600 ANSI contrast after the step down. The picture got even better with almost NO AUDIBLE FAN NOISE WHAT SO EVER!!!!! I have since calobrated the projector with Video Essentials. The picture just got better and better. This projector also lets you control the RED, GREEN, and BLUE segments independently. Haven't touched them at all though. The picture is that good! I think that it is as good as the Yahmaha. As far as Rainbow goes. I see MUCH less. Not sure why, maybe someone can explain why I don't see it near as much??????

Some may suggest that the difference in color is due to the big increase in pixels..... To be absolutely honest I didn't notice that much difference in the sharpness of the picture, but that argument could have something to do with it. Can't comment on the Firoja (spelling ???) chipset de-interlacer/doubler, I thought that the 340 did a darn good job of handling anything I threw at it!

Long (to long) story short. What a steal for a great projector. I got it for $4200. Sold my 340 for $1050. For those of you still thinking about a RPTV, this projector will smoke anything out there. Below is a list of equipment that I use. Hope this was insightful!

Before I forget, the best thing about this projector..... when I go to the standby mode, the projector goes to the blue/black screen and waits. When the time (specified in the menu)set for standby is reached the fan stays on and then...... turns itself off when it's cool enough!!!!!!!!! Those of you who have 340/350's know what I'm talking about!!!!!! Now I don't have to wait to go to bed. The fan kicks off when the bulb is cool enough!!!!

InFocus LP530 proj.

DaLite Perm 100" Diag. HC Grey Screen

5" Black Felt Border Surrounded by Hunter Green Curtains

Yahmaha RVX-1

Parasound 5ch amp

Sony DVD

RCA Sat. D*rect TV

Definitive Technologies Main, Center and Surrounds

Sunfire Signature Series 12"Sub (the good one!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that is an interesting question. Compared to the LP340 (old one not the new one) the light leakage is far superior. Now my LP340 was re-tooled to cut down on the Light leakage. It was about 3months old, and new (re-manufactured) from InFocus. A border took care of it with out a problem. The LP530 has less of an intense halo, and MUCH less light leakage. The only light leakage that I can pick up is on the ceiling. My projector is inverted and hanging from the ceiling. The 340 had leakage with a pretty big hot spot in the middle of the leakage and it was also off-center of the image direction. The light leakage on the 530 is uniform in the direction of the projected image with no hotspots. The intensity of the leakage is much less as well. Again, the 340 had a pretty bright hot spot in the center. While I'm on the subject... the ceiling mount holes on the 530 match almost exactly to the 340/350. This meant that I was able to use all my same gear. One of the three holes was off by about 1/16 of an inch. An 1/8" drill bit took care of that in about 22.5 seconds.

forgot to say that I would post pics (if I can figure out how....). What would you like to see. Gladiator, Hunt for Red October, Fifth Element???? You name it and I probably have it. The border system that I made for the screen is pretty trick. I'll send pics to those who would like to see it.

[This message has been edited by Big Daddy (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Please use Fifth Element - Chapter 9

1)When Leloo is being created, esp. the arm shot (good contrast test)

2)When she first lies on the table (good contrast, colors, flesh tones)

3)And the close up of her face on the ledge outside (excellent flesh tones shot)

4)Optional - the flying cars (depth)

I almost always use these images to compare different projectors/tweaks. I would love it if you used those!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a problem, just have to tell me how to post the pics after I take them with my Digital Olympus 450Z. I include that info just cause it doesn't do the best job of accurate color saturation on it's own. Let me know how to post and I'll do it tonight!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Big Daddy,

.. Time for my request - photo or eyeball would be fine. The question has to do with how Yellow is rendered on the 530. An earlier thread from a 340 owner had:
Quote:
The following pages: http://www.masdelatreille.com http://www.drome-a-cheval.com/collines/index.htm

The LP340 displays both with a, yes, *strong* greenish tint.
How does the LP530 do on these pages? 'Schoolbus yellow' or 'yellow-green'?

Thanks in advance,

JasG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about not responded so quickly.... I had some prior commitment. Hey Petey!!! Anytime pal. I will be out of town Tomorrow and Thursday. This weekend will be fine! Email me for particulars. Yellow is Yellow. That's what my eye tells me. Yellow on the 340 was yellow/neon as mentioned earlier. I wish someone would tell me how to post pics on this (or any on any forum for that matter) so I could give everybody a better idea of what I'm talking about! Anyway, maybe Petey could come over and show me!

Petey, email me at [email protected]

As far as the yellow on the pages... can't fill that request. Not running HTPC. Has to be on a movie. I will tell you that the bus for the blind in "Road Trip" was a perfect yellow. I've found that the test video clips in the Video Essentials give a real good look at what displays are capable of. In my opinion, the test shots were dang near flawless. Obviously Black levels aren't that of a 50K crt system.... But dang good. Obviously better than the 340.

[This message has been edited by Big Daddy (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy:
As far as the yellow on the pages... can't fill that request. Not running HTPC.
Ok, thanks for the feedback on the 530 - I envy you. Hopefully someone with a 530 & an HTPC will check out these sites.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The LP530 is looking very promising, although it's still a business projector that we have to beat into submission...

Does anyone have even a rumor about how the XGA "HT" model will differ from the 530? Will it appear before Christmas? I've heard that Infocus is rather paralyzed lately, but they announced the HT line in January! Get on the bus!

I know the 530 just came out - how is the price trend? If it could hit ~3K$, it could beat the LT150 (better lumens & bulb life). Any guesses?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
.. too early for a 'price trend' on the LP530, but I believe it is selling at about the same price as the LP350 - but released a year later.

.. so, watch the LP350 prices and speculate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Big Daddy, from the AVS Forum FAQ:

How can I add a image in my post?

Images can be uploaded to our server using the little paperclip icon in the posting area [that is, when you are writing a reply, next to the font color drop down menu]. An upload box will open to assist you in this. Please Note....only JPG and GIF files are allowed. Please do not make them more than 450 pixels wide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.