AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I might be able to get one of these at a good price but from what I can find it's seems to be of questionable for home theater (and my good price isn't at so low that I can just write it off as an experiment). I'm hoping someone out there has some real experience with this unit or even the 330 that they could share. Comparison to the NEC LT150 might be a nice reference as that unit is also on my list of possibilities.

Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I am a strong supporter of Infocus products but I think that the NEC LT150 is much better than the Infocus LP335 for HT use.

You might also look at the Infocus LP350 and the about-to-be-released Infocus LP530. There should be some good deals on the 350 soon.

The 335 is not a bad machine, probably somewhat overlooked for HT usage due to other products in the marketplace. But I wouldn't bother at this point.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used to own an LP330, which is basically an LP335 with a few less features. I used to think the picture was pretty good, the greys were a little washed out and I had to use a grey screen to get a decent black level. The image was very sharp and the unit was very small and portable. The built-in scaler works well on video material but often fails to sync correctly to computer output (using a GeForce 2 GTS). No screen door to speak of, of course. The replacement bulbs for this unit are more expensive than replacement bulbs for the LP340/350, and they're only rated for 1000 hours.

I ended up switching to a Dukane 9000D (JVC G10 DILA equivalent). WOW, what a difference. The only advantage to the LP330 was the smaller image side at the lens works better with my ISCO II anamorphic lens (I get some vignetting with my DILA in my installation).

In conclusion: If you can get one _really_ cheap, and you're not hugely picky, it's a good little projector. But I wouldn't spend more than about $1500 or so on it when there are a lot of better projectors that can be picked up cheaply with better light output, contrast ratio, and ability to sync to computer sources.

Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. you've helped me make my decision to pass for now (I couldn't get that good of a deal). The hunt continues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.