AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to how many people here who own an LP340 or LP350 projector have NOT had problems with their bulb. My LP340 currently has only about 125 hours on it, and I'm almost scared to use it now for constant fear the bulb will blow. What has everyone elses experiences been? I know there have been a lot of posts about bulb failures, but I wonder how many people are out there that HAVEN'T had any problems and have yet to speak up. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have LP350 for 6 month by now. It is my 4th unit within this period of time. First one had some shadow on the left so I have replaced it immediately with my local reseller. Second projector did have a problem with the counter of the bulb hours. So, I got the replacement from InFocus directly. Third one had exactly the same problem, so I shipped it back to InFocus and got my forth one that appears to be working correctly. I have about 90 hours on the bulb and expecting it to blow up ant any moment...:(

Tim

·
Registered
625 Posts
I got my ReFurbished LP350 around late May01 in an Ebay auction. INFOCUS said the unit was first sold in Apr01. FirmWare version 1.8 and the Lamp Meter doesn’t work. My guess would be about 200+ hours right now. I need to get the SERIAL adapter so I can update the FirmWare to ver 2.0 then maybe that will also fix the syncing for the VGA connector. I currently use a Monster 8M SVideo cable hooked to a JVS723GD projecting onto a Da-Lite 80x40in High Contrast PermWall for DVD movies only. After trying about 10 different DVD players (including Panasonic 56K) the best picture thru Svideo with features is always the JVS723GD. From others what I have learned is that there was a defective Bulb production run, or the Bulb has too fine of a protective screen which clogs up with dust and then doesn’t cool properly. Right now I have the machine set to 1 minute Standby and I let it cool after the lamp shuts down before turning off the power. I am planning various modifications to my setup and any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my LP340V since May, but it hasn't seen too much usage because it was being built into my family room ceiling (because of where the light comes out of the lens, you can recess the projector into the ceiling so that it hangs down only a couple of inches...I then built a cover--with fans for cooling--textured, painted... so now it looks like small lump in the ceiling...people don't even notice it until I hit the switch to lower the screen--which is also recessed into the ceiling). I have about 150 hours and haven't had any problems yet. I'm using an Onkyo DVD player (dvs525) running through s-video projecting onto a da-lite 70" wide electrolet matte white screen (cheapest power screen I could find). The tweeks I've done are a color correcting filter to absorb some of the green (cc05m or cc10, i don't remember) and a mask made out of the bottom of a yogurt container to block some of the stray light coming through the lens. I think the picture looks great and my only complaint is that NTSC coming from a cheap VCR through a 50 foot composite cable looks like crap most of the time--but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that, and it doesn't matter that much because I watch very little TV.

This setup has an extremely high WAF (except the speakers are a bit ugly) because you don't see anything, not even a TV, until its movie time--and then you get this big, beautiful picture and sound that sucks you right in...

(Sorry about the gushing, but I just finished the project a couple of weeks ago and...well....it's just so cool.)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my 340V since around April-May as well, and am quite happy with the image quality. At that time, it seemed to be the best projector for the price (around $2600). This bulb issue is what really bothers me, however. I had exchanged my original unit for another, due to the "lamp timer reset" bug. The new unit hasn't reset the timer at all so far (130 hours), but now I'm concerned of premature bulb failures. Does anyone know if the 2.0 firmware fixes the lamp counter reset problem? Currently I check the lamp counter every other time I use the thing just to make sure it's still working :)

I think this is kind of unfortunate. Even though I haven't had any problems with my LP340, and I'm pretty happy with the image quality, I'm stuck with it wondering WHEN it will fail. Rather disconcerting considering the large ticket price of these things. And if I try to seel the unit now (less than 6 months later), I'd get around $1200 (a $1400) loss! That would buy quite a few bulbs :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think we are all worried about the lamps and I don't know if Infocus knows something or not. I have checked the micro-screens around the lamp and they are like new and the the room temp is around 72, so if that lamp goes out I'll be pissed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps we should form some sort of website to track the bulb failures. Then at least if our bulb fails we could hopefully get it fixed under warranty with something to prove to Infocus that they have an inherent design flaw (or bad bulbs). I wonder if the newer 340B has any bulb/cooling design differences from the 340V/350...

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 year (almost exactly) on a LP350, replaced with a Boxlight 555. On 5th bulb. 3rd exploded just minutes after watching the second WTC tower fall on CNN. Scared the **** out of us!

Really depressing to change these things out. I'm sure the bulbs sans plastic cartridge are available OEM for much less...

-Wes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our LP350 bulb exploded last night, while watching a dvd (would have thought it would go while warming up or something) after 6 months and around 250hours (bit less maybe, last time I looked was a week ago at 220 hrs). We've always been careful with it, leaving it in standby after using it, until it has cooled down.

I'm really hoping InFocus will replace it for free, we are but poor students and spent our last pennies on it :)

Alex

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I haven't had mine for a while. The first bulb lasted quite a while, maybe 600 to 800 hours, I can't recall. Then the next one lasted only a couple of hundred, and the third one lasted only a few hours. Rumor has it it was a cooling problem and that there is a factory memo regarding keeping some filter clean. Each bulb exploded and created a ton of dust and debris in the machine, so I suspect that when your first bulb blows, the dust seriously compromises the cooling ability, no matter how much you vacuum the thing. I've had the 21N for about 9 months now, and have had to clean it's air filter twice in order to make it come on. The 350 never gave me that warning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got this problem today. I also browsed around for other issues such as light leak, keystone correction as no use, bulb hour counter re-set every time shut down, the halo. I think I can forget about it and keep it for life since its high quality image. But light bulb explosion sounded like a bottle of beer hit hardly onto your head. I felt just bad about what happened today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.