AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on the Audio forum as well, but thought I'd get more eyeballs from others with Infocus projectors here, since my projector seems to be the source of my ground-loop hum.

This loud humm problem is driving me crazy. My system only has a hum when my S-Video cable it connected to my Infocus LP350 DLP projector. When I unplug the S-Video from the projector, it's as quiet as night. It doesn't matter if the projector is on or off - same hum when the S-Video is attached, and no hum when detached.

Equipment used includes a Panasonic DVD-A320 DVD player hooked up via S-Video to the projector, and a bunch of good quality audio cables to an Onkyo TX-D555. I'm using the cables instead of coax because my Onkyo doesn't have a DTS decoder but the DVD player does.

Anyone know what could be causing my hum problem regarding the S-Video and projector? Any way to fix it? Help!!

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have exactly the same problem when I take the power supply for the projector from the attic. (lp350 is ceiling mounted in the living room).

If I take the power from the same outlet as the rest of my gear, no problem.

A line conditioner like monster 2000 provides little improvements, RGPC400s provides a huge improvement in detail and picture quality, but only if all components are on the same power line.

To solve the problem with the power supply, I am going to install a single line for all AV-gear.

The current solution - the powercord hanging from the ceiling and going across the room is not really a solution.

Bottom line: change your power outlet.

Hope it helps,

Dirk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hum is usually caused by multiple grounds which are not at the same level. An connection to a cable box which has a different ground than the rest of the house is the typical culprit. You can usually get rid of hum by isolating the ground (with a three prong into two adapter), but you'll have to experiment to find out which piece needs it. Or you can buy some specialty power equipment that will do it for you.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.