AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my LP350 end of January this year. The first bulb blew after a little more than 200hours in June this year.

Infocus Technical support was helpful and despite having exceeded the warranty of 90 days for the bulb, they replaced the bulb at less than 50% of the regular price.

A very fair treatment.

Now, Oct5 - of course on a friday evening right before a nice movie week-end - the second bulb blew. After roughly 100-150 hours of operation and 102 days after I received the bulb.

Infocus support works (without additional cost) only on week-days, so I have to wait and see what their response will be beginning of the week.

On top it seems that local dealers are having problems in getting replacement bulbs (some told me they have a backlog of orders since May).

Am I just having bad luck with the bulbs?

- or do you guys think there is something wrong with the projector?

Anybody else with similar experiences?

Thanks,

Dirk.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dirk,

This is a known issue with the lp350. I went through three lamps in the 10 months I owned mine. There was much speculation as to what was the actual cause; heat, dust, defective manufacturing, etc. I ended up making a cooling attachment for my projector, but got rid of the projector before I got past the point where I'd previously been blowing out the lamps (400-450 hrs.) so I don't know how effective it was. There was also a posting which linked to an InFocus tech document suggesting that the problem was due to dust build-up in the lamp assembly and that regular vacuuming/cleaning of the projector and lamp assembly could prevent it.

Is your projector in an excessively hot and/or dusty environment or do you or anyone else smoke around it? That could be a contributing factor as well.

If your environment isn't excessively hot, dusty and/or smoky and your projector is mounted where it's getting adequate ventilation, demand that the current bulb is replaced for free when you talk to InFocus. <150 hours for a bulb is just not acceptable.

For the long term, I would suggest searching the forum for the threads that discuss this to find the link. It might even make sense to think about building a hushbox with lots of cooling and filtering to try to keep the projector in as clean an environment as possible, but there's no guarantee it would work.

-Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm not really surprised with the problems of the 340/350 bulbs. I had an opportunity recently to examine a few blown bulbs and the projector itself. IMHO, and this is just an opinion, the fragment containment screens used on the bulb is too fine of mesh. I have not seen another bulb design with this grade mesh applied. Some simple air-passage tests illustrated that the low-pressure high-volume fans used in these projectors were simply incapable of moving enough air volume past the critical points around the bulb for really adaquate cooling. Not only does this super-fine screening impead airflow, it also traps airborne dust very effectively, thus the need for frequent cleaning. The problem is aggrivated also by the protective glass shield on the face of the reflector assembly and no open ventilation channels.

I'm not saying that fragment containment shields are a bad thing, they just need to be designed to be able to breathe enough to govern the enormous thermal stresses that these compact 270 watt bulbs endure.

Thump's 2c

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I blew about 4 bulbs in my year of ownership. At over $300 a crack (or should I say "explosion"?).

FYI: Deceptive Trade Practices Act. 2000 hours promised. Not provided. They should have confirmed the real world performance of their design before they made their claims regarding bulb duration. I haven't seen anything about a recall or an extention of the warranty from Infocus. There dealers and customers have gotten clipped. Attorney's fees are recoverable.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ventilation for the projector is not an issue. It is suspended from a 6foot ceiling mount and has 6foot free room in any direction.

Dust build-up at the lamp has not occured either.

What were your responses from Infocus. Did they offer an exchange?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke with Infocus Tech Support today. They offered a replacement bulb at no cost or a replacement projector with a new bulb. Since they have bulbs backordered and I don't know if the short bulb-life is just bad luck or eventually related to the projector, I opted for the exchange of the projector.

I am very happy with the response from Infocus and hope that the exchange projector will be less trouble.

Thanks to Chris at Infocus Tech Support

Dirk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like I am in the same boat. While watching Band of Brothers in HDTV on Sunday night, my LP350 bulb let go. This is my second bulb in 9 months. Both let go after about 400 hours. The first time they immediately replaced the projector with a new projector. This time they intitially offered to do nothing because the bulb was 120 days old and they are only warrantied for 30 days. After a brief discussion they changed their minds and offered to send me a refurb projector with a new bulb. I accepted and then asked what my long term solution was going to be since it appears that there is no reason to expect that this bulb will last any longer than the others. They had no answer. I will play this one by ear and hope for the best but I am afraid that this will end up in court.

[This message has been edited by oversteer (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After having read these and other forum responses I was wandering if an upgrade to a new projector might be better.

Infocus has this trade-in program, but after I looked at it, I must say it is ridiculous.

Trade-in value of LP350: $1744

Price of the new Lp530: $5099

Given the fact that I paid >$4000 for the LP350 in January this would mean a loss $2500 in nine months + the price of a new projector + price of replacement bulb and you end up with $8000 for basically a $5000 projector.

This does not sound like a good deal.

Let's see how the replacement projector holds up and maybe we have to take some action then.

------------------

_ ______________ _

Dirk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.