AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Infocus LP350 w/HTPC?

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Mouw 
#1 ·
Ok gang, dspite being technically challenged I listened to everyone here back in Feb. and bought the LP350 from Infocus. I am now suffering from "projectoritis" but am not ready to take the plunge for a new projector just yet. While I have learned a lot thanks to all of you here is my new question!

With the LP350 being a native 4:3, taking S-Video now and not being able to take a progressive scan DVD signal - will a HTPC REALLY IMPROVE my projector's performance? I also plan to add the new Sony HD sat receiver next week. Most movies are watched on 4:3 setting on my 100" 4:3 Stewart Greyhawk. As my Greyhawk is for sale (see classifieds) I will be soon getting a new greyhawk in 16:9 aspect ratio, so will this HTPC ( a very good one) help me a bunch on a DVD using this projector in 16:9?

Please be specific, remember I am tech challenged. Related questions: Will I be using more of my native 4:3 panel in the projector or less or the same, if better "WHY". Will a HTPC be a waste of $ with this projector?

As always thanks guys!

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
The LP350 has an excellent internal scaler and this is one of the major compelling strengths of the projector.

Question: will a HTPC REALLY IMPROVE my projector's performance?

Answer: No-overall you will have a cleaner picture with a good DVD Interlaced Player like the Panasonic RV80. Computer video feeds, even DVI look noisier than the S-Video in of a good quality DVD Player.

Question: so will this HTPC ( a very good one) help me a bunch on a DVD using this projector in 16:9?

Answer: NO your movies will look better with a good DVD Player

Question: Will a HTPC be a waste of $ with this projector?

Answer: YES-and depending on the soundcard you use your audio may suffer as well.

Lenny Eckian

#3 ·
I agree with leckian. I've have an LP350 for a year and have experimented. The S-video is noticeably sharper and clearer than a PC. If you want brighter more saturated colors and to eliminate the greenish skin tones of DLP, try shooting on a light pink screen. This sounds crazy, but really works!

#6 ·
I too have a LP350 hooked thru sVideo to JVC723GD dvd player.

I have tired hooking up HTPC via VGA/DVI without much success.

Once it worked for about 10 minutes. My unit has 1.8 version FirmWare which I understand has known syncing problems (got that from Infocus tech service), so I would need to upgrade to 2.0 version via a Serial adapter I need to buy from them. I build and fix computers part time now (used to do it full time) and I really am not sure I want the aggravation that comes with using Windows (one of the reasons I only want to do it part time). LP350 already has one the the best scaler chips (Genesis) configured for their projector. So doing the scaling inside a HTPC with software via DVI directly into the LP350 is only going to eliminate the DAC/ADC conversion process. Ideally what we need, and is probably coming sometime soon, would be the DVD player with aspect ratio control and DVI output. Anyway for the time being I might fiddle around with spare parts I have on hand, but I wouldn't spend real $$$ for a dedicated HTPC for this projector (only to watch DVDs 99% of the time).

On a side note, I have A/B about 10 or so different DVD players on my setup (including Panasonic 56 now hooked up). Method: simultaneously play same DVD in both players switching back and forth thru Sony AV receiver. And the best is always the JVC723GD (Pan56 is close), which has 2 picture control memories plus NORMAL/CINEMA available from the remote. Picture Controls include standard(brightness;contrast;color;tint;sharpness) and GAMMA/Y-DELAY. Gamma control is a BIG plus. JVC723GD available uBid $200 or BestBuy has the XV-SA75GD (newer model no DVD-Audio).

#7 ·
Wow...maybe you guys didn't have the best HTPC setup or something, but for me on my LP-340 it's a night and day difference. HTPC clearly blows away the internal scaler/deinterlacer. I don't even watch my DSS through the LP340 scaler anymore. I use the cybertainment capture card with DScaler. The Gamma and overlay controls alone on the Geforce are reason enough to use an HTPC.

Brian

#8 ·
I would agree... the image from my DVD player (a sony) is much "softer" than the image from the HTPC, and lack detail. I also use D-Scaler when I watch NTSC (TiVo), and the result is a much more stable adjustable image. If only I could get the DVI port to work with my Radeon card...

#9 ·
I have to side with the pro HTPC folks. If picture quality is your only criterion, HTPC is noticably sharper than interlaced DVD player via S-video. I'm actually kind of shocked anyone would suggest otherwise. Ease of use is another matter of course.

That being said, you don't need to spend big bucks for an HTPC though. But that's more of a topic for the HTPC forum.

#10 ·
I was a dyed in the wool HTPC'er when I received my LP350 and I didn't even bother to hook up my projector to my standalone DVD Player. I thought hooking it up to a DVD Player was a joke. Who would bother hooking up a standalone DVD Player to a projector if they had a HTPC. Then I decided to try my DVD Player one day and I was shocked that the standalone player with the internal scaler was producing a more solid pleasing picture-maybe not quite as sharp but overall it was more pleasant to look at. Yet I was still a dyed in the wool HTPC'er and I was not to be deterred so I bought a GeForce 2 duel head card and went DVI in and I had great results, no problems and it was clearly superior to my old analog GeForce card-but it still produced a noisier picture, (remember the crawlies), than my Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player. I was at an impasse I liked the solid picture of the DVD Player but the video overlay of the GeForce card enabled me to richen the picture of the LP350 but the cost was more video noise. Enter the Panasonic RV80-this DVD Player provided color, contrast, brightness.gamma and more to help control the picture and this produced the best picture. I still love HTPC and that is what I am using with my Sanyo XP21N clone but for the LP350 the right standalone DVD Player produces the most stable noise free picture with only a slight loss in sharpness.

Lenny Eckian

#11 ·
After going from GeForce 256 to GeForce Mx DVI then ATI Radeon (all with WinDVD 2.6.4) with my LP340, I have to say the incremental improvement of the HTPC over S-Video (driven with Skyworth 1050) is rather small IMO, the S-video provides a very watchable, balanced picture without all the hassel of running HTPC, not to mention lower noise level and much higher WAF:D

#12 ·
Quote:
Question: will a HTPC REALLY IMPROVE my projector's performance?

Answer: No-overall you will have a cleaner picture with a good DVD Interlaced Player like the Panasonic RV80. Computer video feeds, even DVI look noisier than the S-Video in of a good quality DVD Player.

After owning the LP350 for 6 months I can state that this is a false statement. An interlaced DVD player comes nowhere close to a well configured HTPC. I would suspect the quality of your PC before concluding the above. If you think that I'm biased because of my vocation, haul your DVD player and come on over!

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

#15 ·
Lenny,

Sorry, it may sound a bit harsh, I'll try to curb my enthusiasm. You can disagree, but your post was so definitive and blatant that it required a response. There is no way in heck that an "interlaced" DVD player and the projector's scaler will come close to a HTPC driven "native" resolution DVD that your finding are suspect. The poster qualified his criteria by stating the HTPC be "a very good one".

If you had replied that you find the use too cumbersome, and you can settle with the interlaced DVD, I would not disagree with you. After all, ease of use really depends on how the HTPC is set up.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

#16 ·
Kei

I will take the CHALLENGE!

Lenny is way out in New Hampshire, but I am just down Hwy 5 in South Orange County.

I would love to see how a properly configured HTPC compares against my DVD player.

I got your phone # off the web site and will give you a call.

#17 ·
Kei-

I have been a computer hacker for 20+ years and I had a properly configured HTPC before I got the LP350 which I used with my first projector a NEC 6pg with gorgeous results. I no longer have the LP350 but the HTPC and the DVD Player went through exhaustive tests and comparisons and I stand by my statements. Currently I am again am using the same HTPC with my Sanyo XP21N. I tried a Quadscan Elite with my Sanyo and the HTPC was better and so I sold the QS. If my HTPC wasn't properly configured I don't think it would be superior to a QS.

Lenny Eckian

#18 ·
Mouw,

Bring that DVD Player and come on down (oops, I mean up). We should compare DVD titles and see if we own the same one for comparison. If someone else answers the phone, please let them know that I'm expecting your call for a DVD test as I am on the phone constantly.

Lenny,

I don't doubt that you know how to set up a computer, and I know you've been a member here for a while. I concede that my statement was a bit harsh, so truce, and kampai!

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

#19 ·
Kei-

Truce is good. I don't want my posts to be considered a blanket endorsement of any interlaced DVD Player being superior to a HTPC for the LP350. I want my statement to read that I feel the combination of the Panasonic RV80 with its extensive picture controls produced on balance a more preferable picture. I will concede that the HTPC produced a slightly sharper picture and its video overlay controls provided excellent and more dramatic control of the picture-but the gamma control of the RV80 in particular, along with the other color and image controls was very effective in wringing out every ounce of potential the projector had to offer. I could get more enjoyment out of DVD's like the Matrix with the Panasonic because with the gamma control you could raise the brightness level of the midtones without effecting the darks and the whites. The other major advantage to the RV80 was the picture was clean and less noisy.

Lenny Eckian

#20 ·
Lenny,

Quote:
I could get more enjoyment out of DVD's like the Matrix with the Panasonic because with the gamma control you could raise the brightness level of the midtones without effecting the darks and the whites
Funny, this was one of the major reasons why I preferred the HTPC's picture. I agree the gamma control was one of the overwhelming reasons for the switch to Radeon by majority of the HTPC forum members. I never noticed any "noise" with the Radeon, or for that matter the GeForce while we were using it.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

#21 ·
I am trying to set up this type of system in a new house that I am building currently...

For the guys running the LP350 throught the DVI interface from an HTPC- Which card works the best versus ease of use? Exactly which type of DVI cable do I need? What all software will I need to make the DVI work the best ? And how are you guys handling the audio?

Thanks for helping out the new guy,

JJ

#22 ·
I have to agree with Kei.

Everyone forgot the cables.

If you use the proper shielded cables, and use the right hardware (which can vary greatly) then the PC would send a better picture to the projector (which was originally designed for computer use). Lenny, if you can remember, what hardware did you use (other than Geforce card) and what settings?

Even the projectorcentral website did this comparison and came with the same conclusion on the LP350

#24 ·
GMan

Haven't gotten together with Kei yet...

But since my last post in this thread,

I did get the ATI 7500 DVI -> LP350 connection up

And like Kei says IT'S MUCH BETTER

Now I am interested in building a HTPC

So all the MORE reason to go see KEI

I will let u know...

#26 ·
I agree with Kei. You must be computer literate to be able to do this (or look on the HTPC forum for help). Unless your PJ has the Sage chip in it the scaling ability of the HTPC and it's tweaking ability will get you a better picture. All of you getting the crawlies, it sounds like you need to adjust the timing on your video cards to exactly match the PJ. This can be done with powerstrip.

Remember that the LP 350 is designed with the PC in mind, not a DVD player. I stress again, you definitely need PC know how and not be timid in doing registry tweaks and overlay adjustments. You also must have the latest DVD software to get the best possible picture. I would suggest you hook up a HTPC that was built by a professional for HTPC use. You will definitely will notice the difference.

As a footnote, this is only true for film based dvd's. Video based DVD's do look worse than a STB DVD player.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.