AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post my first LP530 impressions. I received the unit today from the fellow I bought it from on eBay. Got it for a nice price too! Along with the unit, came the add-on box that clips to the rear of the projector giving you a couple more inputs - including component - which is the reason I bought the box....

So I merrily unpacked the box and found a sleek unit - It's a much more "swoopy" design than my LP350 with more curves than angles.

I've got the LP350 in a custom ceiling mount about 18" from my 90" Dalite Pearlesent screen. Using aluminum plate, a ceiling fan mounting kit and 36" drop pole (wires run inside the pole). Currently running off of S-Video from BetterCables to my Denon receiver. The setup is in my "family room" area which ajoins the kitchen - so poor light control.

The first thing I noticed is that the lens is on the opposide side from the LP350 - which will put the LP530 off the center axis to the screen with my current mounting location. Sigh. The second thing I notice is that the throw size is larger than the LP350. Large enough in fact that I need to move the projector about three feet closer in order to fit the image on my screen. Double sigh. Well I needed to fix that off-axis problem anyway...

Using a temporary stand (rear channel speaker) I threw the image up on the screen - it's got a nice crisp and bright image.

Where with the LP350 it was tough to watch stuff during the day or at night with the kitchen lights on, the higher lumen output from the LP530 makes a big difference. With the LP350 the image would be washed out and with poor contrast with any other light present, the new unit was bright enough that it was quite nice during the day and with the kitchen lights on at night. Still contrast only got better the darker it was in the room.

Good contrast and color levels right out of the box. I need to sit down with AVIA when I get it setup on the ceiling mount and the component cables run....

Downside: There still is a significant amount of light spill out the front vents of the projector. It's amazing - the bulb is all the way in the back - about 10" from the front grill and they still haven't managed to kill that spillage. Much less of a light border from the DMD around the image than my LP350 - looks like they cleaned that problem up.

Interesting way they setup the add-on box. It interfaces directly with the DVI port on the back of the projector. No other custom inputs or connections. It the add-on contains the following inputs: a DVI (Analog & Digital) input, Analog dsub15 input, composite in, s-video in, component in plus various audio in's.

Anyway, though some folks might be interested. My initial impressions are good - now I need to get it into it's new mounting position (flip my mounting plate over and drill new holes since the mounting locations are different than the LP350) closer to the screen, get the component and VGA inputs running, and tune it.

More later.

=-Clarke

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Clarke,

I am also considering this unit with the connection add on pack.

Since it's been a little over a month, what do you think now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a great unit! I can actually see the image during the day (I've got limited light control in the form of venetian blinds) - even if it's a bit washed out. The contrast is excellent (at night). At the low brightness setting the fan is unnoticable. At high brightness (which I almost never use) the fan is quite noticable.

The 1080i HD signals I've been pulling OTA are incredible - even though it's not a native HD aspect ratio DLP chip, the picture is still incredible. Folks look at it and say it's like looking out a window. I'll probably upgrade to the 16:9 when it comes out, but am _very_ happy with this unit.

I did have a problem with the throw distance compared to the old LP350 - the throw is shorter so I had to move my ceiling mount forward about 4' to get the same image.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

=-Clarke

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi Clarke

I have the LP350 myself, only watch DVD Movies :D

JVC723GD DVD player -> LP350 -> Da-Lite High Contrast 80x45 PermWall

Q1-

When it's completely dark, what is the PQ difference on Movies

Q2-

What gain is your Da-Lite Pearlescent, 1.5/2.0 ??

Do you see any Hot-Spotting, did U try any other screens

Q3-

How much PQ difference between sVideo/component hookups?

Did U try any other sVideo cables; BetterCables and ??

How long is your BetterCable sVideo and do U want to sell it?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Andy,

Like Clarke, I just added HDTV to my LP530 signal sources and agree with him, it is absolutely incredible.

Fantastic detail & vibrant color - I'm using the 'video gamma' settings.

My signal source is a Samsung T-150, using a VGA connection - homemade CAT-5 cable about 16 feet long.

I'm about 8 miles north of the main transmission towers in Seattle, but found that a roof antenna was needed, the simple RS bowtie just wasn't enough for me.

JasG

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Has anybody tried the component inputs with an HD signal. If so tell me how it looks. I am also interested in this projector to sell as a package to customers who need the extra light output.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mouw

Q1-

When it's completely dark, what is the PQ difference on Movies

Q2-

What gain is your Da-Lite Pearlescent, 1.5/2.0 ??

Do you see any Hot-Spotting, did U try any other screens

Q3-

How much PQ difference between sVideo/component hookups?

Did U try any other sVideo cables; BetterCables and ??

How long is your BetterCable sVideo and do U want to sell it? [/b]
A1-

It's significant. The contrast goes _WAY_ down with the day-light in the room that I can't screen out - so you loose significant quality. It's fine for sports and news shows, but sucks big-time for movies or shows with lots of darkness.

A2-

It's the 1.5 gain.

I don't see any hot-spotting but for the first time (with this projector in data mode (driven from my laptop), I've noticed the color wheel. I don't notice it with movies HDTV.

I did not try other screens. I considered the high-contrast Da-Mat, but don't have enough light-control to make it work...

A3-

I'm ashamed to admit, I still haven't hooked the component cables up. :-( The component cables are sitting in a pile next to the rack. Crawling through my attic is just too tramatic. :)

I'm running the Better Cables S-Video (12M) and a 50' sheilded VGA cable right now. I use a Monster 3M S-Video cable before I relocated the projector. I don't see a difference between that and the Better Cables cable. I need it to run my non-component output sources.

=-C

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy238
What gear are you using to get the HD OTA signal? I'm pretty sure I can get a HD signal here in CT and I'm just looking into it.

Andy
Andy,

I'm using the Sony SAT-HD100, DirecTV receiver with a $20 Radio Shack combined Rabbit ears and UHF Loop. I pulled the rabbit ears off since HDTV is UHF and it works really good for the six stations in Phoenix. In fact, it works better than a $60 Terk antenna that I mounted to the Sat Dish... So I returned that.

If you can get a OTA signal - go for it. It's amazing!

=-Clarke

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JasG

Fantastic detail & vibrant color - I'm using the 'video gamma' settings.

I'm about 8 miles north of the main transmission towers in Seattle, but found that a roof antenna was needed, the simple RS bowtie just wasn't enough for me.
JasG,

What's the video gamma setting? (perhaps I should sit down and actually read the manual) Something I should play with?

I'm about 4 miles LOS (I can see them) from the transmission towers. The Radio Shack bowtie worked great - in fact a single wire plugged into the antenna jack worked for four of the six stations.

=-Clarke

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Clarke,

Under "Color Management" there is a selectable item called "Degamma". I have set that to "Film Gamma" (I mis-spoke before) and turned "Auto Color Gain" ON. This appears to kick Red up to 56 and Green down to 39. Blue stays at 50.

For OTA, the RS bowtie worked "just ok" on a couple of channels, but even though I am fairly close to LOS, my house is surrounded by a high, dense hedge. Enough to even block an attic yagi. Things are much better on the roof.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Clarke,

Sorry about opening the floodgate of questions. I think there is a lot of interest in the LP530, especially with the LS110 coming out.

One quick question,

When you are watching a 16:9 source, how does it look on the screen? Are there black bars or do the mirrors turn to the off position and it just doesn't project to that part of the screen?

I am also curious about what DVD player you are using and how that looks. If you have a DVD player (not HTPC) I assume you set it to 4:3 out. Is that right?

Sorry, it was two questions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thanks guys for the HD gear info.

Seeing as I'm a DishNetwork subscriber the HD100 is out. I wonder why Dish is so slow in offering a descent HD reciever that handles OTA signals? I'll have to give the T150 a closer look.

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by whithama

Sorry about opening the floodgate of questions. I think there is a lot of interest in the LP530, especially with the LS110 coming out.

When you are watching a 16:9 source, how does it look on the screen? Are there black bars or do the mirrors turn to the off position and it just doesn't project to that part of the screen?

I am also curious about what DVD player you are using and how that looks. If you have a DVD player (not HTPC) I assume you set it to 4:3 out. Is that right?

[/b]
Not a problem. I was surprised at the lack of interest in the LP530 when I first posted. I'm happy to help out.

There are black bars, but not because the mirrors are on, I don't think the mirror rotate enough to keep all light from leaving the lens. I understand that TI is producing a DMD with greater angle - which should help contrast and get the black more like off.

I'll take a picture of it tonight (when I have the contrast) and post it. You can see the lighter area around the DMD on the wall/screen.

Source is an old Sony DVD-S550D --> Denon 4802 --> BetterCables 12M --> LP530. It's set for 16:9 output actually. I do the same thing with the Sony HD-SAT100. The Infocus does a good job of displaying 4:3 or 16:9 depending on how I set it.

HTPC is on it's way. I breathed life into it last night but still need to work on it a bit.

=-C

·
Registered
807 Posts
Clarke-

Just curious about why you're going the HTPC route rather than a good progressive scan DVD (especially with the video switching capability of the 4802).

-John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jkscherk
Just curious about why you're going the HTPC route rather than a good progressive scan DVD.

-John
John, I want the HTPC for a couple of reasons - not to say that I'm not eventually going to get a nice progressive scan DVD player.

I want the HTPC for gaming, Internet, video editing, and Email. The fact that I can run DVD movies is a bonus. The wireless keyboard mouse makes it easy to sit on the couch and read websites like the AVSForum... :)

I need to finish setting it up and then look at the picture HTPC vs. the DVD player, figure out if I want to upgrade the player or just use the HTPC.

=-C

·
Registered
329 Posts
Clark,

I'm demoing the 530 this weekend. I've seen the

Sanyo XP40, Mitsu 390, and was wondering if you had

compared the DLP image of the 530 to the LCD image

of the "Light Canons" that are out there. Are the colors

really vibrant? Is screen door significantly reduced?

Thanks in advance!

Aceman

·
Registered
144 Posts
According to the manual, if I remember properly, you can't feed HD signals to the LP530 via the component inputs -- you have to use VGA. I say "if I remember properly" because I may be confusing this with the Quadscan Elite scaler's manual. In any case, I have just upgraded receviers to a SAT-HD100 and will be trying it out shortly as well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Darin,

Thanks - you are correct. I tried component HDTV from my tuner to the LP530 and it did not work.

I thought it might be my cable, but after an RTFM session prompted by your comment - I see that the manual says:

"NOTE: HDTV sources are connected to the projector using the computer cable."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.