AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the topic says it all ... which one should I get? If only I could get the LP340V for $2239... Is the LP340B's scaler really that bad? I can just barely afford the LP350. Is $3160 the best deal for it (after rebate)? I think it is. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Definitely don't get the 340b. Check around and see if anyone still has the 340v unit. Also check for the boxlite version of the 340v. Do a search on this forum using lp340b as the search criteria there is an article with the Boxlite part number. I have seen both the 340v and the 350 units and in my opinion there is no difference in quality using the S-Video input. There is a difference when you are using computer output, but even then the 340v looks pretty darn good. Use the left-over money to buy some extras: DVDs, screen, popcorn machine, etc.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Those are very good prices for the 530 and 350.

No one has seen much of the 530 yet. I saw it at the show but under poor conditions. Wait to see the 530 I suppose. At those prices, if I had to buy today, I don't know what I would do.

Don't get the new 340B. The 340V, or its Toshiba or Boxlight equivalent, are an excellent bargain.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went for the LP350 for $3160. I hope this was a good deal. The people who offered this deal was Dell Computer. But they killed the deal at 7AM this morning.

I suppose if I change my mind I could always return it or eBay it at cost.

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled. A number of people on AVS claim that the LP340V has a better scaler than the LP340B. But I just received an e-mail from InFocus tech support that seems to contradict this. Below is my question to them and their reply:

My Question: I am interested in purchasing an InFocus 340. I will be using it for video only, not data. I have been told that the LP340V has better video quality than that LP340B. Is this true? I want to buy the correct one.

InFocus Reply: The video quality of the LP-0340-V is the same as that of the LP-0340B-V. The only difference between the two is that the 340B does not support

digital computer inputs. Since you will not be using a computer anyway, this difference has no bearing on you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thank You,

Brian

InFocus Technical Support

[email protected]

800-294-6400

·
Registered
846 Posts

Originally posted by BBobley:

InFocus Reply: The video quality of the LP-0340-V is the same as that of the LP-0340B-V. The only difference between the two is that the 340B does not support

digital computer inputs. Since you will not be using a computer anyway, this difference has no bearing on you.
Which to me means no DVI support. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, I can not verify the rumor about the 340B having worse video processing.

--Les

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
BB,

I wouldn't trust any info you get from the tech support department at Infocus.

The chips used for the s-video scaling on that unit come in different potential configurations with different memory requirements for each particular configuration.

What I am trying to say is: If they wanted to get cheap on the scaling when they went from the V to B they very well could have to save a little bit of money. (And to convince picky HT guys to stop buying their stuff http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The Boxlight CD-455M has the same excellent video scaler as the original LP340-V and it has the DVI input as well. Don't buy the B if you care about home theatre. It is clear the B stands for business presentation use-Forget about the B unless powerpoint presentations is your only use.

Lenny

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
.. not to contradict Mr. Wiggles, what he says makes great sense, but the Infocus website does say:

LP350 - M1-DA DVI digital and analog connector with USB

LP340B - M1-DA Analog connector with USB

So perhaps they have trimmed the digitial input from the 340B. Since few here (and over in HTPC) seem to be able to use the digital connection, no great loss, IMHO.

Jas

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have talked to tech support at InFocus and they said the B video processing is not as good as the V. According to the rep I talked to the difference was small-but in home theatre a little can go a long way. As long as the Boxlight CD-455M is available with both the original processor and the DVI input I don't know why any home theatre person would want to spin their wheels and agonize over the differences between the B and the V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.