AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the infocus ls 110 projector and have recently acquired a video scaler that can output either 720p or 480p. My question is that should I use the 480p output or the 720p output on the scaler? I was reading a review that stated that the projector does not scale 480 signals so am I correct in assuming that it would down convert a 720 p signal since its 16:9 resolution is 848x480?

·
Registered
315 Posts
David,

First, you'll find alot more info on the LS110 / 12SF / MT5 on the Digital Hi-End Projectors - $5000 USD MSRP and Up forum.

As to your question, the LS110 advantage over other projectors is not only does it display 480p natively (so no scaling is needed), but it also has the DCDi Faroudga chip set built in which eill do a much better job of downscaling a 720p signal to 480p (which you would have to do for the LS110) - so I'm not sure why you would even consider using an external scaler any way.

Unless you plan on using the scaler on a different projector, if it was given to you, you may want to pass it on to a friend or if you bought it, return it to the store you got it.

Hope that helps answer your question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it help increase the picture of non dvd video such as satellite tv or a vcr signal? Also, since I have this thing that can convert the signal to 480p, is it worth getting a progressive scan dvd player?

Thanks for your help on this tex. I was extremely impressed with your review on the ls110 and was hoping that you would answer my post.

BTW, know of any non-crt projectors that can accept 1080p signals that don't cost more than 6,000?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by david_d23
Also, since I have this thing that can convert the signal to 480p, is it worth getting a progressive scan dvd player?
Hi David. Welcome.

I too am an owner of the 12SF (LS110).

If you have the scaler already and you can't return it, then you can experiment which one can de-interlace better, the scaler or the pj.

I have the Panny RP-56 and it has the Faroudja in it. I have a much better result having the prog. DVD player do the line-doubling than the pj. In your case, I don't think it's necessary to get a progressive DVD player since you already have both the Faroudja in the pj AND an external scaler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.