AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was close to buying Plus Piano, but then InFocus announces this new machine. Has anyone actually seen one - or did they pull a sort of vaporware press release (on day of Piano US release) to hold potential Piano customers back. I.e. is the LS110 currently shipping?

As compared to Piano (from specs)

1. Lots more lumens (1000 vs 450)

2. Lots more $ (5k vs 3k)

3. Both seem to have nice scaler / deinterlacer (Faroujda vs DVDO)

4. Both seem pretty quiet

The 64K questions:

1. Image quality. Also as compares to LT150, and 5k Sanyo LCD PLV60HT (also in sub 10K range - Sony 11HT, Sharp XV9000)

2. Price. I wonder if either machine will be able to compete well at its current price. At 5k - the InFocus competes directly against Sanyo, Sony. At 3k - Piano is considerably more than the Nec LT150....

Would appreciate very much any thoughts / observations / insights...

Thanks

cd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chuck,

I saw a working unit a couple of days ago although I've heard they won't be shipping for 2-3 weeks. Colors looked good, image was sharp and it's much brighter without oversaturating the image. i saw the Piano last month -i would like to see them side by side. I don't recall the lamp life for the Piano but the LS100 is 2000 hours which would make a difference to me since the lamps aren't cheap to replace.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just spoke to a Projector People rep. who have heard but not seen the projector yet. I mentioned to him the MSRP price of $4999 and he felt the street price would be significantly lower than that.

He also was trying to nudge me off of DLP and onto a Mitsubishi X80U LCD projector. Probably just trying to get me to buy what they have versus what is just vapor ware.

FYI

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RLSmith:

According to one review - the Piano apparently does support 480p. :)

As for accepting 720p or 1080i - I'm not sure how much this matters as the projector's internal scaler is going to have to scale to the DMD's resolution anyhow. For the recent set top HDTV decoder review in TPV - it seem like all units can be set to put out a 480p signal from any source resolution. SO - I guess that you'd be betting that the Faroujda scaler / deinterlacer in the InFocus would do a better job than an HDTV set top box. You might be correct - but I'd like to see this directly before deciding that this was a big advantage over the Piano..... esp if the InFocus street price is still a lot more than that of the Plus machine.

cd

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am happy to say that the bulb cost for the piano is not quite as bad as I feared. The piano web page gives price of $260. I don't know what the bulb cost would be for the Infocus.

For me, wanting to keep expenditures to a minimum, the Piano is still the leading contender. The biggest differences between the two are: brightness, HDTV support, cost

Brightness..While the brightness is certainly low compared to everything else, the on-line reviews or informal comments here (Harry Linn.. got that thing set-up yet) indicate it is more than enough for a 6-foot wide screen in a dark room.. which is what my set-up would be.

DVD/HDTV.. I'm looking at 100% DVD use, so the HDTV capability is not an issue. However, if it was, the DVI/HDCP on the Infocus would probably sway me.

Price.. even if "substantially discounted" how low can you go from a list of 5K. I would guess 20% or $4k. This is still quite a bit more than the Piano 3K. If I was willing to go to 4K, I'd probably be willing to go to 4.5K and buy the Sanyo PLV60HT (gotta get those kids old enough to get in school so the wife can go work as well)

Of course, the option is always open to just wait 6 months and see how the dust settles.

Ron

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The Piano is a tough sell IMO because of the its 450 lumen rating and the lack of HDTV compatibility. I think this would have been a nice projector if it came out 4 years ago.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here is an interesting quote from this review of the Piano:
e-gear

"When I finally sat down to watch some DVD movies, this little projector really showed off. Pointed at the same screen as the Legend and in the same lighting environment, the Piano delivered a much more movie-like image. Despite a brightness rating almost half that of the Legend and an equal contrast ratio, the Piano looked brighter, displayed deeper blacks and better contrast, resulting in a more detailed image. "

How can this be in terms of brightness? Is Plus doing something differently? Or did they go with low lumens for a cheaper bulb price? Funny how you're all set on one projector and something else pops up to ruin your choice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Warning! Lengthy rambling to follow...

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this dilemma.

Right now my prime candidates are indeed the Plus Piano, Infocus LS110 and the Sanyo/Boxlight 60HT/13HD.

I was all excited about the Piano, and pretty much set to buy before it was launched this week. I had been hoping that I would actually be able to see one, and buy one locally (hopefully with reasonable discount). But it seems like Plus are pretty much set on their direct via Internet distribution method.

Also, did anybody notice their return policy!?

There is none. All sales are final, but if it breaks down and you decide to return it - you can - granted you pay a 25% restocking fee. Not that I was planning on anything. But those terms of sale seems a little too harsh to me.

Also, does anyone know if the 450 lumen rating is for 4:3 mode, or 16:9? Because even if it's a dual mode projector, shouldn't it still put out 33% less light in 16:9 mode in relation to 4:3 like any other proj with a 16:9 mode?

If so - I wonder if the 450 lumen rating is for 4:3 or 16:9 mode?

When the Infocus pressrelease came out, I pretty much decided that the Plus was not the way to go.

The Infocus really has everything I'm looking for. The big question is if it will street for something in the 3.5K+ range - then I'm all over it. :)

Although like someone else mentioned, I'm not really so sure that I care that it supports HDTV resolutions. What's the point when the panels only can display 480P anyway?

That's where the 13HD comes into play. It can do real HDTV, even though I don't need it right now. It's actually here today.

Price is pretty reasonable. But I would have to factor in another $500 for a decent prog. DVD player. Which I wouldn't with the Plus or the Infocus. But it is an LCD... I'd rather not have to worry about dead-pixels, screendoor, and the solarization problems I'm hearing about.

Oh decisions, decisions...

I can't wait to see what the Infocus will sell for.

/End ramblings...

Matt

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked out street prices for lots of InFocus projectors. Seems like a 25-35% discount is pretty feasible (at least on production models). For example - LP290 list is $4999, street prices in 3.5K range. If LS110 is in that range - I think it will be a winner, otw. will loose too many sales to the Sanyo 60HT which has dropped in price to about 4.7k ......

Very shrew pickup on Plus' lack of return policy on the Piano. This is REALLY a dumb move for a product you're expecting folks to buy online and without a demo ......

cd

·
Registered
134 Posts
Chuck -

Yeah, I'm keeping all my fingers crossed that the typical Infocus discounts will carry over to the LS110.

One local A/V dealer here in MA I spoke to said that Infocus were planning on something similair to Plus' distribution model.

I don't know how much credibility there is there though...

I agree, the return policy - or should I say lack thereof is very strange.

Matt

·
Registered
456 Posts
OK. The HT bug has got me. I give in. I'm registered and everything now...

I'm an absolute HT newbie looking for my first projector. On a limited budget, so I thought I might just get a Sony Cineza for $2500. My main concern here is that I mainly want 16:9 and I don't know what that will look like with 800x600 :mad: . The Piano looks great but the low light output will be a problem as my room isn't totally light controlled. So now I'm really anxious to see what the InFocus LS110 will street for as it sems to have everything I want. But is it's like $4100 that seems to put me almost in a whole new price range. I think I would bite at $3700 though.

Any help/suggestions/opinions from all of you would be great. Anyone seen the Cineza in action? Especially doing 16:9?

Sorry if this goes way OT, but I'm also having trouble figuring out how I will do three different component sources (DVD 480p, DTV, and Gamecube, eventually) and switch them to a single component run to the projector. :confused:

Thanks all. I'm overwhelmed with options.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The press release for the LS110 lists an MSRP of $4999. A Sept 7 press release for the new Toshiba HT DLP projector (the TDP-MT5, an LS110 clone) lists and MSRP of $3995.

Since these two projectors seem to be identical, according to the inforation released so far, there seems to be a disconnect.

The TDP-MT5 will be officially announced in the US in conjunction with COMDEX, somewhere around Nov 12. Hopefully this will all be straightened out then.

-phil

·
Registered
456 Posts
OK. I'll try to hold off until Nov. 12. Going to be tough though. I'm starting to reconsider the Piano, and see how dark I can make the room. I'm still wondering if the Piano takes 480p, or just accepts 480i but doubles it. I've heard conflicting reports. If it doesn't like 480p it seems pretty useless except for people using S-video.

I wish InFocus would just come out and put the thing on sale, or let us know exactly when we can buy it, or not.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PhilB - THANKS !

One very encouraging observation is that the Toshiba projectors (and Toshiba products in general) seem to be sold at pretty substantial discounts. I.e. the MT-7 lists at 8K but streets around 4.5k - for about a 40% discount.

Applying this optimistic logic to the TDP-MT-5 (4K)

25% discount - 3k (Piano in world of trouble)

30% discount - 2.8K (Competing with some NEC machines)

40% discount - 2.4k - at this price would very very attractive...

yes - I'm probably deluding myself, but I think that I'm going to continue to wait and watch my RPTV for a little longer.

cd

·
Registered
456 Posts
For those interested, I got confirmation that the Piano only takes 480i, except through DVI. So that's out for me.

Also I remember reading that the LS110 is a bit louder than some. I think 34db+, but I can't remember where I saw this now.

Geese I can't wait to get a street price on one of these guys. $3500 would be insane IMO.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.