AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many of us on this thread, it has been nearly a year since we bought our 340 and 350s, remember these were "the" hot projectors to get - how time have changed, now the LT150 and the Sanyos seem to be all the rage... Anyway, given the muted (or perhaps nearly non-existant) discussion on this thread, I though it may be interesting to do a quick survey of the 340/350 club: how many of you are still enjoying the units and how many have already switched, etc. I will start with my experience first:

I still have the LP340 with bearly 200 hours on it, I drove it with my Radeon/WinDVD HTPC upto a month ago, then I switched to the Skyworth 1050P. The PQ is still acceptable, especially with good disks such as Rocky & Bulwinkle, North by Northwest, etc. But after reading (reading is believing?!) all the posts on the LT150 and now the Sanyos, I am really tempted to switch because the stupid sync problem taht I have with the Skyworth, but I will probably just wait another 6-months or so for the next latest greatest, perhaps even gasp get a CRT (now that I have a fully light-controlled room), in my mind at least the InFocus days are numbered. touche...

------------------

Jaz

Singapore

·
Registered
235 Posts
I no longer have my lp350. I've switched to the Studio Experience 13HD (Sanyo PLV-60)

With regards to the 350 (Boxlight cd555m). I got a lot of use out of it, but I was never happy with the light leakage, the blown bulbs, the low output (for it's rated lumens), the (in my eyes) poor contrast ratio/shadow detail, and the extremely visible banding/posterization.

As for the new 13HD, it still needs a few tweaks, but even out of the box is already leaps-and-bounds ahead of the 350.

-Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Textf>Textc>

I am still enjoying my LP350 after about 1100 hours. I think my Panasonic DVD RV80 dvd player has a lot to the quality of my picture. I am still waiting for delivery of my Panamorph to see what it adds.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Need I really say it? Due to my desire for a brighter image that was less sensitive to ambient light, and in the hope of better blacks and shadow detail I went to the 38t and Quadscan Elite. Good move. No contest. Not even close. Lot's of artifacts on the 38t, which I mistook for a lack of detail due to LCD design. Boy was I wrong. The QSE shows what the light engine in the 38t can do. Same level of detail as the DLP, but the contrast, color and brightness make that detail SO much more visible.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still have my LP350. After recognizing in the past many of the problems you mentioned I made some optimizations:

- Use of a Radeon VE based HTPC via the DVI interface (big big improvement in image resolution and depth)

- Use of a front shield to remove the light spill from the front

- Use of a black border around the screen to absorb the light border around the image.

With these optimizations the image quality is really outstanding. I'm very satisfied. I Think I will keep it still for a long time

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am just finalizing my release of my CD-455M. My ebay auction has closed and I am awaiting payment which should arrive today. All of this after only 4 months. The main reason for this change is the black level, color saturation, contrast ratio, and the bulb issue (still have not heard of a LP3X0-based unint going the entire 2000 hour stretch). Although everything else about the projector's performance is very good. Ultimately, video performance is where it is at. Also, when you have HT as your hobby, upgrades are inevitable. So LT150, here I come.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems the split is about even, some have moved on and the rest (including me) are still holding on.

Fabrizio,

Which Radeon card are you using, I tried a nVidia Mx based card with DVI and was not impressed with the result, my Radeon LE delivered better PQ. I am willing to try the DVI version if it helps.

------------------

Jaz

Singapore

·
Registered
846 Posts
This week I will ceiling mount my LT150 which is replacing my LP350.

The LP350 still is a darn decent system. It was nice to just be able to plug in a 480i signal via S-Video and get pretty decently scaled output.

But imo, the LT150 just puts out a better picture when fed a 480p or 720p signal. When the LT150 was 3500-5000 dollars, the difference wasn't enough to justify the investment. However, when the price dove to 1700, it was worth it and I jumped on it.

Of course, I never tried the LP350 with DVI input. Maybe I'll set some time aside to do a comparison between the two.

--Les

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jaz,

Regarding my DVI setup I'm using a Radeon VE under Windows2000 with ATI DVD player 4.1. With current setup there is the need of connecting two display to the card in order to allow the ATI Player to run in full screen mode. I use the LP350 connected to DVI interface as a primary display and one LCD 15" monitor as a secondary display. I also have a DVD Player Panasonic RV60 connected to the S-VIDEO input of the LP350, so I'm able to make many comparisons. The main benefits of the DVI setup are:

- With respect to S-VIDEO: Better resolution, better color control, no solarization.

- With respect to analog XGA: Similar Resolution, but with a noise free and rock stable image (the analog XGA is quite noisy, you can notice it in a simple, single color Windows desktop). Most of all it avoids every solarization in the edges of objects in the image, that with the analog XGA may still appear.

The only problem that remains, but this is a bad feature of every single chip DLP I looked at until now (including the NEC LT 150, and the corresponding PLUS model), is some dithering effect on fast moving objects in the image. The DVI does not improve this aspect.

In summary, in my opinion, the DVI with a RADEON is really the best source for the LP350, the film like picture you can obtain with this configuration is really outstanding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.