AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Infocus LP240 or it's clone (from what I gather), the Proxima DP2000s (click here to see them) for between $1050 and $1099. That is really my budget ceiling. My concern is connectivity with my Sony DVP-NS700P 480p DVD player (the ONLY source for the projector). I want to use the 480p output of the DVD player, of course, but I'm concerned about how to do it, and what functions of the projector I may lose. How would I connect it? These projectors (which seem to share the same input package as the InFocus X1, according to their spec pages) have 2 "video" inputs: composite and S-vid. The also have a 15 pin VGA computer input. Will this connect to my player's component outputs? I see from the downloaded user manual from Infocus that I will lose the "sharpness" function when using the "PC input", a.k.a.- RGB. What else will I lose? Do these projectors, when they receive a 480i signal via the composite or S-vid, display it as a progressive 480p image? I assume when you connect a PC to the projector via the RGB connector, you tell the PC what size image to ouput. What does the projector do when it receives a 480p signal from a 480p DVD player at the RGB input? Sorry for all the questions, but while I've been into HT for several years, projectors are completely new to me :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah. I read somewhere on this board that these 800x600 projectors have problems with anamorphic 480p signals, in so far as they have to rescale the image. I read on Infocus's user manual that the LP240 has some 16:9 mode especially for "enhanced widescreen DVD's". What's the deal?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one here can answer a single one of my questions? :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm no guru at this, but my Infocus 340B was not able to synch up to a progressive scan DVD player with a VGA out into the projector's VGA in. It simply wasn't able to synch up to 480p, so it is possible that the 240 has the same issue.

This is a no on this one.

Do these projectors, when they receive a 480i signal via the composite or S-vid, display it as a progressive 480p image?

No...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Do these projectors, when they receive a 480i signal via the composite or S-vid, display it as a progressive 480p image?

No..."

Are you sure? What do they display a 480i input as? I'm pretty sure it is progressive and not interlaced, at the least.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goopie
Do these projectors, when they receive a 480i signal via the composite or S-vid, display it as a progressive 480p image?

No...
Isn't it that every digital projector, dlp or lcd has a line-doubler/deinterlacer and displays progressive picture (480p) but some are simply better than others at this job?

piesek

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got this off of projectorcentral.com...

"First, let's clarify one item--all digital projectors have deinterlacers (line doublers) on board. LCD panels, DLP chips, and LCOS chips are all exclusively progressive scan devices. They cannot operate any other way. So when a projector receives an interlaced signal either through the composite, S-video, or component ports, it must deinterlace it internally prior to sending it to the display device."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.