AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell, the principal differences between the 110 and X1 are as follows:

1) 110 is $5k. X1 is $2k.;

2) 110 CR is 600:1 w/10 degree DLP chip. X1 CR is 2000:1 w/12 degree DLP chip.;

3) 110 is 848x600, making it somewhat better for 16:9. X1 is 800x600.;

4) 110 has 220W UHM bulb w/2k hr.life. X1 has 150W SHP bulb w/3k. hr. life.;

5) 110 has DVI input. X1 does not.; and

6) 110 has 4x color wheel. X1 has 2x color wheel. (Issue for rainbow sensitive.)

Am I missing something here, or is the X1 a better projector than the 110, at least for those not rainbow sensitive; or at a minimum a bargain compared to the 110? Bob?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Time will tell.

The X1 has a 4 segment color wheel with white segment that can be turned off. The 110 has a 6 segment wheel. Thus, the 110 should be able to produce a somewhat smoother picture. Of course, the X1 has apparently much better contrast.

The 110 achieves 16X9 slightly more effectively. The X1 has an interesting approach to 16X9 of cropping the image in order to fit into 450X800 with minimal scaling artifacts.

Right now, the X1 looks like the low-price leader. The 110 would appear to be on the way out, with the new WXGA 7200 taking its place at the high end (but more expensive).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You are indeed missing something Bob - the X1 has the Faroudja 2200 chip, while the 110 does not.

Gotta love the forward march of technology. Unless it does not live up to its specs in a major way, the X1 is, imho, the new bargain projector king. Pixel perfect DVD mapping, 2000:1 contrast and Faroudja de-interlacing for around $1500-$1600 street! This is the projector I'm having my girlfriend get for her new condo. (I tried to convince her to get a used CRT from Curt Palme but I had no luck with that. . .)

=)

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
chrisreeves,

The Infocus web site says that the 110 does contain the Faroudja chip. Whether this is the same chip or chips as the X1 (and 7200) has I cannot say, but I believe Infocus has been incorporating Faroudja chips for a year now. For example, the LP 650 also has Faroudja processing.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to Projector Central, the 110 uses the FLI2200. Several posters have said that the X1 uses the FLI2200. The 7200 uses the FLI2300. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the X1 uses the FLI2300 like the 7200 since the FLI2200 has been discontinued

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
hmm, I did not know that.

It would make sense that the X1 would have the 2300 but I thought Bob Williams mentioned on one of the X1 threads that it's using the 2200.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The X1 uses the 2200.

The X1 uses a 4 segment color wheel. The white segment is turned off for video content, which drops the brightness and contrast significantly. The ScreenPlay 110 uses a 6 segment wheel, so you lose no brightness or contrast for video. The 110 also has more connectivity, a larger zoom ratio, and was specifically designed solely as a home theater projector by the same team that worked on the ScreenPlay 7200.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 110 is much closer to the X1 price that is being quoted. The difference is rougly $1,500. At that price differiential, is it worth the price?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks for the information Bob.

But the $64,000 question is: which has more contrast?

A - The LS110 with its 6 segment color wheel and no white section, but using 10 degree mirrors

OR

B - X1 in video mode, with the white segment turned off, but using 12 degree mirrors?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
bump

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're looking for the most contrast, the NEC HT1000 is at the top with 3000:1. It has an awesome picture, especially when you send in an interlaced signal and use what the company calls its SweetVision chip. This allows for a higher level of user adjustments that I haven't seen on other $5K projectors.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Marshall
FYI - I love my LS110.

Can anyone tell me what a "rainbow" is?

Love my Toshiba clone of the LS110 also.

I get the 'upgrade' bug every so often but each and every time I demo the 'new' stuff I come back home and smile.

My PJ tweaked and with the addition of a HTPC w/H3D card...well, lets just say, for the $2300 I spent for it (PJ) on Ebay....I'll just continue to browse for the foreseeable future. I know the 'upgrade bug' will get me eventually though...especially the more time I spend here at this forum.

Bill

·
Registered
909 Posts
In this day and age, I would not buy a projector with RGBW colorwheel unless it was a second hand PJ and I was saving some money.

You are really compromising when you don't have to if you purchase a RGBW colorwheel machine.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lyndonlim
In this day and age, I would not buy a projector with RGBW colorwheel unless it was a second hand PJ and I was saving some money.

You are really compromising when you don't have to if you purchase a RGBW colorwheel machine.
Well that kinda goes without saying that a RGBW projector is saving you lots of money. The price of the X1 ($1400) is nearly an order of magnitude lower than that of a Marantz S2 and half of the Sharp Z90 (the most inexpensive of the 5X wheels if I remember correctly).

2x is faster than the old Runco Vx-1c. Doesn't have the rez of the 1c but between the DCDi, higher lumens and better contrast it should outperform the Vx-101c a mere three years later (Proj Central reports that the 101c first shipped Jan 2000).

Three years. $8000 price drop (MSRP).

Nice. Hope this trend continues.

Nigel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.