AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps you noticed my other thread I posted today about my considering purchasing a Toshiba TLP-MT8 (or was that TPL-MT8, I never remember).

This Toshiba is supposed to be identical to the InFocus projector, but there are obviously some things that differ, though, the only thing I've read about it that the projector color is different (white vs. silver).

What about:

- Logo? I suppose the software shows a Toshiba logo instead of the InFocus one on various places?

- Software updates? Can you update a Toshiba with a InFocus update or are Toshiba-specific updates availabe at the exact same point in time as the InFocus ones?

- Other components, for example deinterlacing/scaling, optics etc. Is the Toshiba PJ 100% identical internally as the InFocus?

Wouldn't want to get any nasty surprises, especially about software updates once I've bought it :)

Finally, what software updates are available for this projector?

·
Registered
725 Posts
These are identical projectors except for the color. Some MT8 owners have successfully used the Infocus firmware updates. Infocus has an excellent reputation for after sale support, warranty etc. With the MT8 any after sale support will go through Toshiba. Infocus sells a 2 year warranty extension, not sure about Toshiba. I would go with Infocus unless I had to have the white color or the there was a huge price difference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I would also choose the InFocus, but this MT8 has a REALLY good price ($5200) compared with the 7200 which costs closer to $7600.

The $5200-price probably doesn't seem all that low to you guys "over there", but here in Europe, $5200 is extraordinary low price for the MT8. The reason for the low price is that it's 2nd hand, though still sealed in box. The owner got the projector as compensation for another project (differnt make/model as far as I understand) and he doesn't want an MT8, so he's selling it "cheap". The retail price in Germany is $1400 higher than the price that he asks for, so that's pretty OK I think.

I've just checked with Toshiba and they also have 2 year warranty, so that OK. Too bad about missing out on the good InFocus support, but since I'm in Europe it probably suck over here anyways so.. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello, I have one MT8 and Im very happy with it, its great.

There are no diferences between this two models except for color and splash screens.

I updated my MT8 with 7200 3.2 firmware and everything worked ok but because someone told me that I would loose warranty if I upgraded MT8 with 7200 firmware I asked a member of this forum (thanks a lot Ian Guinan) and he provided me the MT8 firmware that he asked from Toshiba client suport.

Both of them are exactly the same except the splash screen

Hope it helps

Best regards

Nuno

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:cool: I just got to find a buyer on my XG-1351LC CRT-PJ :cool:

...AND...

keep my fingers crossed that no one else buys the MT8 before I get the chance to :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.