AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re-posting this with new title to accurately state the correct screen in the thread title:

I want a good projector combo for HDTV football games with some ambient light, some DVD viewing, and until things transition, some SD TV viewing as well.

I have been looking and reading, and it seems the SP 5000 is excellent due to it being 720p; appreciably brighter than a 4805, H31, AE700, or Z3; and the least expensive of the 720p options. Also the Greywolf screen - either 92" or 106" seems like a great match due to both its high gain (1.8) with decent ambient light rejection and it's black enhancing properties to bolster the SP 5000's 1200:1 contrast.

I'm not clear about a DVD player to match up well with this setup, but one that upscales to 720p seems logical. Suggestions welcome.

Does this sound like a good route to go?

·
Registered
357 Posts
if you're definitely set on 720p then its a great option. i considered it, but the extra resolution wasn't quite worth the money to me. since i wanted to watch sports, send my pj a hi def signal and usually watch with ambient light i got a hc3 after seeing my friends. its not true hd and the resolution isn't perfect for dvd's either. however, it still produces a wonderful image and actually deals with sd television just fine. the sde isn't noticeable to me or my friends at normal viewing distance, its extremely bright, the colors are wonderful, and if the contrast bothers you then getting the greywolf will pretty much solve the issue anyways. its not a perfect home theater projector due to its grey black reproduction, but with the lights on and sports being projected its stunning. i consider it a stopgap until a quality high lumen dlp hd projector comes along and to be honest i'm extremely happy with it as my projector. the lack of inputs can be bothersome, but a cheap component converter can cure everything. i already had the same vga only input on my previous projector so it was actually perfectly suited for my setup. its a little loud but probably no louder than the 5000 and i have been around enough infocus projectors to make this statement. there are plenty of projector options and depending on how soon you plan to purchase, cedia is coming up i hear and after the new projectors are announced prices could fall soon after. i'm not trying to persuade you to purchase an hc3 any more than i am throwing out that there are other options.

from a sponsored dealer you can get the projector, a dvd player and the screen for less than the 5000 itself.

i use the iodata linkplayer 2 as my main dvd player now and it produces a perfectly acceptable image and its connectivity is great if you take advantage of it. storing hd material, upscaling and networking makes me happy. an upscaling dvd player is nice to have because it gives you more options to produce a stunning image on your projector.

i wish i had the hc3 when i had the greywolf but the screen was disappointing to me and i returned it. if you have a bright projector i believe the glass beads will be noticeable as well as the texture of the screen. the contrast improvement would be a definite bonus as the blacks would be closer to dlp quality. the off-axis viewing was worse than expected and the cone was much smaller than expected. however with a bright projector all this can be overcome and for a retro screen it would do better with ambient light both in and out of the cone due to its grey surface. that said unless sitting in the cone i noticed that the ambient light rejection was less than stunning, but of course i wasn't using a light cannon either. with a bright projector i believe that a normal grey screen will give you the desired results in ambient light, you won't ever notice a viewing cone, sde will sometimes be better masked and the grey color will help the lcd projectors with low contrast. however, if watching sports and you really want the colors to pop off the screen i think a high power is really the way to go and its my current screen. if you want to watch movies, sit close, and have better blacks then the greywolf is definitely worth considering. its price is also another reason.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
The SP5000 isn't a particularly popular projector in this forum. It realistically belongs with the older generation 720p projectors like the L500U, Z2, etc; In fact, it's inferior to the L500U. That's not to say it's bad, just that it doesn't have a lot of the improvements of the current generation such as the Z3 or AE700. It also has some noise issues from what I understand. Don't just go on published specs for brightness. Read some honest reviews of calibrated machines to get real specs. Honestly, at this point I'd go with the Z3. You'll get a better value.

As for the screen, I know you're trying to improve your CR so I have to ask what your light control is like? Because with a grey screen on an LCD, you're going to need serious light control.

-MP

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the reviews I've read, the SP5000 is actually quite a bit more of a light cannon than the Z3. What, beyond contrast ratio, is really not up to par with projectors like the Z3?

·
Registered
357 Posts
i'm pretty sure vb, sde, overall image quality are all factors that make the 5000 less quality than the z3. of course thats for a darkened theater room. i would suggest doing a crawler search through these forums for the 5000. this topic has been discussed many times as the 5000 is really classified with the older models. the 5000 i have heard is a bit brighter and the sde is attributed to the sharpness of the 5000 over the smooth image of both the panasonic and the sanyo models. of course i haven't had a chance to really observe many lcd projectors so my knowledge is a bit more limited. as i said its best to do a search

do an advanced search for the 5000 in the under 3500 forum dating back a year at least. i'm pretty sure there was a long thread recently about the 5000 and why it didn't receive the hype that all the others have been getting. i think you need to decide if you want a multimedia projector or a pj for a dedicated theater. there are tradeoffs. the greywolf screen will add a grainy look to the image so it may actually help the 5000 come closer to the desired results. however, its viewing cone is very tight and if viewing from far off-axis as would be expected during a football watching party can be very dissatisfying.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Honestly Brandon, being a light cannon doesn't necessarily make it a good projector ;). Otherwise all the presentation-class DLPs would be the king of our forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What everyone here needs to remember is, like sound, we each have our own opinions of what we like and dislike. I bought the sp5000 as the last component of my theater fully intending to upgrade it by now but am very satisfied with hd material, especially sports, and movies aren't bad either. I use a Stewart Firehawk 123" screen fed from a denon 3910 dvd player and the results are awesome. I spent 5x the money on the audio side and after one year don't feel the need to upgrade the projector yet. Experience the projector in a home environment and if you like it buy it. ps - one of the reasons I spent so much on audio was I listened to everyone else's opinions. Anyone near NW Indiana is welcome to view my setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.