AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get an idea of people previous warrenty experiences with Infocus, especially the X1, and lamp replacement with "possible" damage (ie still working but) due to other failures.

After 3.5months the lamp fan on my X1 died. The unit continued to operate (for many hours) and started to flicker really bad. I turned the unit off, left it for an hour or so, then back on. All seemed OK for a while till the missus came into the room (hours later) and asked what the smell was (damn cold). The smell was the PJ overheating.

It is currently in for service at the X1 distrubtor/service agent here in Australia. They are replacing the fan, which has to come from Singapore would you believe hmmmm. They wont replace they bulb as they are saying the bulb is out of warrenty (by like 2weeks or so) and that as it is still working Infocus will not allow them to claim a bulb. If it was under 3months they would. All they said they will do is put a note, and if there is a near future issue they can look into replacing the bulb.

What are peoples opinions on this? Would "actual" Infocus give one a new bulb in the US? Should the local agent?

Im just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience in the US, and what the outcome was.

Perhaps I should email Infocus in the US?

Funny thing is, i could have purchased a US one for less, probably shippped it to US and back for repair quicker than i'll get my Aust one back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can't speak for the time required for warranty repairs by Electroboard or the lamp warranty.

Would the warranty on a car be honoured if you asked for a repair after the time/KMs were execeeded, even slightly? Probably not.

Did you knowingly run the projector with the fan inoperative? The lamps generate tremendous amounts of heat and the fan is essential to prevent damage to the lamp and the rest of the projector.

Even if you bought one overseas, InFocus would have asked you to send it to the Australian service centre. Don't underestimate the costs of an individual shipping an item such as this to the US and back by air with insurance. Companies that ship in volume do benefit from substantial discounts.

As for delays in getting parts, this is a general problem in our part of the world this time of year as the Asian suppliers are all closed for Lunar New Year.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh a local X1 seller, I found your website when searching for the X1, compeditive pricing. Just thought i'd get it "locally" ie Brisbane Electroboard to make it easier, maybe service etc, probably doesn't matter i guess.

I see your point about the car. However if something has been damage DUE to another part failure that IS under warrenty, the seconcondary part will be repaired/replaced even if out of warrenty. I've had Nissan replace a steering rack out of warrenty that has issues that occured under warrenty, and re occured some time after warrenty.

Im not stupid enough to run it "knowingly" without a fan. My point was, most people probably wouldn't have known and let it "die", in which case if i'd done this i may have been better off, in that the blub probably died etc and been replaced. As soon as my missus (whom was able to smell :) ) picked it up i felt the x1 and knew instantly it was way way too hot. I pulled it down and she confirmed the smell. I then check the fan operation and confirmed it was the main fan.

I see your point, shipping can be expensive.

Yeah, tis soo frustration (and Bevan/Calam at Electroboard understand) on little 12v 8cm fan ain't anywhere in Australia.

I said to stick in a ball bearing PC fan (same thing) but obvioulsy issues with genunie Infocus bits etc etc :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.