AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an InFocus X1 and I'm working on a screen for it. I'm leaning towards making a blackout cloth 16:9 screen. My main concern is how 4:3 source material from my directivo will look.

1.) If I put the projector in 16:9 mode then the picture from the directivo is compressed. How do I get it to maintain the 4:3 aspect ration and put it into the middle of the projectors 16:9 area?

2.) How much will the 4:3 picture quality differ between 16:9 mode and 4:3 mode? Either way the screen is going to be about 52" tall, so the only difference will be the resoution the projector is using to display the 4:3 image. Will it not make much of a difference since the signal is only 640x480 anyways?

Hopefully I explained this correctly. Any tips would be appreciated, as I need to start building a screen tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As your in the sates and get poor old NTSC which is 640 x 480 as you have stated. If you put the projector in native mode it will be only 15 lines too much top and bottom of your 16:9 screen (which if masked wont matter). This way you will have it in correct aspect and most of the pic in the centre of your 16:9 screen. Normaly TV's overscan anyay and would proably chop a similar amount of the picture also.

Here in Australia we don't have TIVO boxes, but if its similar to most SAT boxes it may have a 16:9 "TV" option where all source is output 16:9 anamorphic. So of 16:9 native is broadcast it will fit the X1's full 16:9 mode and not be stretched, if 4:3 is broadcast it will put black pillars left and right and 4:3 in the middle in correct aspect

There is no set option in the X1 to do this, I asked Infocus (through Technuts email form thingy) and they said that many ppl had asked for such a mode but they are not going to implement it.

Here in a PAL country its much harder, native SD is 720 x 576, which in native mode is 124 lines too many to fit on a 16:9 screen setup for X1's 16:9 mode.

D

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonfed
As your in the sates and get poor old NTSC which is 640 x 480 as you have stated. If you put the projector in native mode it will be only 15 lines too much top and bottom of your 16:9 screen (which if masked wont matter).
For NTSC sources the X1 actually crops the 15 lines from the top and bottom when in Native mode, so the projected image ends up being 640x450, which fits within the 16:9 screen area without any spill.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I play most 4:3 in 16:9 so it's stretched to fit the 16:9 screen. I didn't plan to do this, but the stretch mode was surprisingly tolerable (unlike most rear projection TVs).

I watched all of my Family Guy DVDs in 16:9 and it looked weird after I went back to 4:3. For a screenshot go here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/buyitch...t_1_copy_2.jpg

If the site is down try again later. I was surprised at the screenshot I was able to obtain with the large florescent light on. Usually it washes images out really bad, but not this time. Cartoons are just really bright I guess. It was projected onto a light brown/tan screen at about 9 feet diagonal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
I play most 4:3 in 16:9 so it's stretched to fit the 16:9 screen. I didn't plan to do this, but the stretch mode was surprisingly tolerable (unlike most rear projection TVs).
Same here. Everything in 16:9. I tested switching between 16:9 and native mode and I found myself prefering 16:9 even if the image was stretched.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I use the native mode and stretched mode when watching 4:3 material on my 16:9 screen. I prefer the native mode since I am only 9' from my 6' wide screen anyways , native 4:3 images are still something like 69" diag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm going to go this route and build a very wide 52" tall 16:9 screen. If I find I don't like the results watching DirecTV then I'll get a wider roll of BO cloth and make a taller 4:3 screen.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you use a PC and set it to 1024 x 580 (near to 16:9 within .01%) and choose "keep aspect" in you software then 16:9 take the 16:9, 2.35 is letterboxed and 4:3 is pillar boxed. Works a treat. Plus ones full desktop is on the 16:9 screen and not stretched.

Thanks to Technut for them settings on his forum. Curious that 1024 x 576 didn't actually work but, hmm like 4 lines makes difference anyways

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.