Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not figure out this by reading various posts, so here I go:

I have seen the X1 myself, and do not seem exposed to the rainbows effect, at least on a short exposure time (around 20 minutes).

Now I'd like to take every chance I have there, and since I intend to use an HTPC with it (for various reasons), I'd like to have a few technical questions answered, such as:

- The X1 spec states that in data mode it can accept up to 85Hz. Does this correlate to an actual wheel speed increase, or will the display electronic simply skip some frames ?

- Still in data mode, the white segment is used, whereas in movie mode it is not used. Will this reduce the rainbow effect (in data mode), or increase it ? Additionally, I'm a little bit confused on the contrast ratio there, as it seems to be higher in data mode, so why in the world would they have removed the usage of this white segment in movie mode ?

- Some people mention that using an HTPC with a 2x wheel reduces the rainbow effect. If the wheel does not turn faster, I fail to see the reason...

- Lastly, has anyone being sensitive to rainbow experienced the X1 with and without an HTPC as the main source to actually check the disappearance of those rainbow effect ?

Thanks for your help,

Vincent

·
Registered
144 Posts
Max speed of the color wheel is 62 Hz (if I remember correctly) which means that if you set your computer display to faster than that, you're dropping frames.

As to why they removed the white segment for movie mode - the colors are much much better with the white segment turned off. I thought like you, and tried to watch some stuff in presentation mode - the colors are pretty terrible. Everything is far too white. Try it, and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Vincent,

I recently posted about my experience with this issue. In brief, I found that using an HTPC (Radeon 9000 set at 800 x 600 @ 62Hz) with TheaterTek DVD software significantly reduced rainbows for me with the X1, compared to a DVD player with interlaced output via S-video. For me the difference was significant and made the X1 a keeper. As to why, I can't really say for sure -- perhaps a combination of factors.

Here's my longer, original post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=253845

cheers,

Aaron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That does raise a question then: can you disable the white segment when in data mode ? That seems to be pretty mandatory based on your experience above ?

Vincent

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Nguyen
That does raise a question then: can you disable the white segment when in data mode ? That seems to be pretty mandatory based on your experience above ?

Vincent
Why would you want/need to do that? There are already provided two modes (film & video) where the white segment is disabled.

Regards,

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.