Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Anyone has an experience with PAL sources using X1 ( DVD, SatTV, LaserDisc ,VCR etc) ?

What can you say about PAL image compared to NTSC one?

Is there any difference?

How the famous FAROUDJA chip FLI2200 works

with PAL ( scaling& deinterlacing issues ) ? ;-)

Thanks for your answers!

P.S. Have ordered X1 a few days ago. Can't wait, but it will be shipped

only after X-mas :-(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really no experience?

Maybe someone from Australia or NZ could clear that question?

Again thx.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Hobbit (Bilbo? Frodo?).

I have had my X1 for a week now (29 hours usage), and can report that I am very happy with it, and it works very well for PAL source.

Bob from InFocus has also confirmed that the colour wheel is frame locked between 48Hz and 62Hz, so for PAL sources the colour wheel is correctly slowing down to 2x 50Hz (ie: 6000rpm) instead of 2x60Hz.

Also, the X1 internal capture for the s-video / composite input is native 704x576 PAL, and 704x480 for NTSC, therefore in Native display mode (no scaling) PAL users are seeing a fuller image in the 800x600 screen. Although in native mode, the aspect ration is of course not quite correct (for both PAL & NTSC).

So bottom line is, other than 16:9 anamorphic DVD (which uses a cropped non-scaled 450 lines), PAL viewing on the X1 should be superior than NTSC, as would be expected with PAL's greater vertical resolution.

My experience is PAL looks great, and so does NTSC!

PS: My current best PQ setup is obtained via HTPC / DScaler, as although s-video is great, it appears that I can get even better colour depth and contrast ratio via the VGA interface (I also have better control over black level via the HTPC Radeon cards video overlay settings).

Plus, although the FL2200 generally does a great scaling job, I have noticed that it doesn't handle horizontally scrolling white text very well.

In this regard DScaler still beats the internal scaler!

Regards

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, KoolKiwi!

As i can see now both PAL and NTSC look great on X1,right?

And could you give more information about DScaler. Is it an external

deinterlacer such as IScan Pro? Has it S-video input ?

TIA.

·
Registered
720 Posts
DScaler is an open source software application used by HTPC users for doing the equivalent of a very expensive hardware deinterlacer / scaler!

Search the forums for DScaler, or visit www.dscaler.org for more info.

Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Greg, thanks for sharing your PAL experiences. I live in a PAL country too, hope to see the X1 in January. Some friends of mine are very interested to buy one.

Stefan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.