AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Infocus X1, and until today, I haved used it solely for Xbox gaming. The picture using the Xbox High def. pack, and the component to vga adapter, is great!!

Well, today I started gearing up for the new Halo game for the PC. I ordered a 15 foot vga cable, and hooked up the X1 to my PC.

I have a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro video card, the 15 foot shielded VGA cable.

I was dissapointed at the picture I got. Pixelized, words were not very clear. I guess I was expected to get a similar picture on my projector as I do on my PC monitor, am I asking for too much?

Should I expect to get as good or better picture with my PC/Radeon video card as I do with my Xbox? SO far, I am not.

I set it to Presentation mode.

PC was set to 60hz.

I tried playing with the resolution, and had it set to 1600 X 1200, but the picture was so huge I could not see the menus on XP?

QUestions:

1) SHould my picture on PC be as same, better, or worse compared to XBox?

2) What settings on X1 and PC should I be set on (dark room, room is 13 X 10), d-lite white screen)

3) If i set the projector to 1600 X 1200, how do i get it so that I can see the entire screen?

4) If i set my PC for diff. settings for my projector as I do for my PC monitor, is there a way in XP that I can save the 2 settings so that I can switch back to PC mode (currently I do not have a switch box, so i am just plugging the Projector in when I need it)

Please help, Halo is out THursday, and I need to be ready!!!!!!!!!!

thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Try the PC at 800 x 600. (The native resolution of your PJ)

EDIT: Why don't you just play Halo @ 480P on the Xbox?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The X1 has a native resolution of 800x600, and that will give you the sharpest image. But you will likely find that 1024x768 is acceptable too (if the text is large enough to read), even though it requires the X1 to scale the image (which will soften it a bit).

In my experience, going beyond 1024x768 results in the image being cropped at the bottom and right-hand edges, so you lose some of the picture. It sounds like you saw the same thing at 1600x1200.
EDITED: Correction... The cropping I saw was a result of a driver setting on my PC. See my post here for clarification.

Someone did post recently that they were using 1280x1024 with SP4800 firmware version 1.3 (X1 ver 4.1 may give the same results). But in any case, as you noticed, text will not be very clear if you set the PC resolution too high.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kysersose, Bungie is coming out with a PC version of halo=new maps, new weapons, and built-in internet play (the xbox version does have internet play too, but maybe the PC version will be even better).

plus, i have the 9700 video card, that I have yet to use for a game, so Halo was gonna break it in.

So I need to get my PC to 800 X 600, is that it? Will that yield the best picture? Seems like that is what I had it set to at one point, and it did not seem very good.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
You could just wait for Halo 2. :)

Just kidding! Try 800x600 again and try playing with the settings to get the best image.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, i will do that, and post what i come up with.

if anyone does PC gaming with vga connection, if you would kind enough to post your color, etc. settings i would be happy. I know that your settings may not be exact for me, but at least it would give me a starting place.

thx

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't do PC gaming other than playing dvd on my PC, my settings for vga connection are:

Firmware 4.1 version

Mode - Video mode

RGB - all default

Color temp - coolest

Contrast - 56

Brightness - 48

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Your missing something...dont know what but somethings wrong.I use pc in 1024x768 and play all games at 75hz refresh.The pc looks best out of all the sources Ive tried actually.And win media player High Def clips look darn sweet too.I also use xbox in HD mode,looks good as well.

I had to adjust some of the settings color,hue,black level via my GF4 setup to get it closer to what I thought it should look like,but after that the pc looks best easily

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you using windows XP try going to display settings and to your device settings(graphic card), from there can change your color settings for digital vibrancy, contrast, brightness, gamma, (RGB gains all at once or individually controlled by using contrast ,brightness, gamma sliders). It can even allow you to save these changes as custom settings. I tried this on my GeForce4 Ti4200 gfx card with all these setting left default but put digital vibrancy on low.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You might want to check some reviews of Halo before buying it... It's supposed to be a resource hog: barely runs at 800x600 and does not support AA. (I think that pc.ign.com had a review)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Halo on the PC is gonna rule (I hope, ha ha).

yeah, I have read that it requires a heavy pc, but i have a 2.4 GHZ, 512 ram, and 9700 video card, so it should run fairly well.

But back to my projector problem (ha ha), I am gonna try the 800 X 600, but if anyone has any suggestions, i would like to hear them.

Should the picture look as good as my PC monitor?

The current picture on projector is not very clear, words are fuzzy. I focused the lens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hokey_days
Halo on the PC is gonna rule (I hope, ha ha).

yeah, I have read that it requires a heavy pc, but i have a 2.4 GHZ, 512 ram, and 9700 video card, so it should run fairly well.

But back to my projector problem (ha ha), I am gonna try the 800 X 600, but if anyone has any suggestions, i would like to hear them.

Should the picture look as good as my PC monitor?

The current picture on projector is not very clear, words are fuzzy. I focused the lens.
Words is razor sharp unde 800*600

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
what os are you using?? are you using cleartext?? also as others have stated 800x600 shoud clean up allot.. aso ae you using presentation when using the pc for gaming??

·
Registered
7 Posts
If my memory serve me right I recall someone said the frames will drop if you set the frequency at 85hz. Can someone please confirm this?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
That's correct, Bob Williams has said "The projector is frame-locked for 48-62 Hz sources, and the color wheel will change speed to match the source. Above 62 Hz, frames will be dropped"

I can't understand the comment that 60 Hz looks fuzzy, mine is razor sharp at 800x600. I did see once that hitting the AutoImage button on top of the projector fixed a minor phase problem, so maybe try that. Another thing that will make it less sharp is using any Keystone correction setting other than 50 (none).

Going above 800x600 is going to introduce fuzziness because the projector is having to scale the image.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hockey Days, it also depends on how you are plugging your computer in to the projector. Are you using just 1 cable or are you using a switch box. I have found that only expensive switchboxes with a powersupply. (That's the key) work well with no ghosting...... Ghosting is what makes your picture look bad assuming you are in 800x600 mode at 60hz.... First I thought Oh Darn, is this as good as it gets... Very disappointing. Then I tried a $90 switchbox and it works great and looks awesome. Problem is no remote control for the switchbox and no on/off switch... You need to plug and unplug the powersupply.... Bummer....

You are not getting a good picture if you don't use one of the expensive switchboxes, unless you plug and unplug the cable to your projector when switching from DVD player (progressive mode) and PC.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK Guys, THANKS for all your input!!

I have discovered what MY problem is: (technut Canada had it right)

KEYSTONING.

My setup is not ideal, i have a shelf in the rear of my room, and I have it closer to the ceiling than floor, and I do not have it inverted like I should.

When I use it for Xbox, I have it set at about 29 for keystoning, but never noticed that it was blurry (I may be in for a real treat now, cause I am gonna see how Xbox looks without keystoning).

I correct the keystone to 50, and magically the letters from PC desktop were now clear (except for the upper right of the screeen, which is weird, i may update my 3.8 firmware and see if that corrects the proble,m, but not a big deal).

SO now I guess i will just use it with a "bent" side. I want it to be as clear as possible, and I kinda got used to the sides being out of whack just playing a little unreal tournament last night.

i was thinking of just flipping the projector over, but cant cause there are buttons on the top of the projector. When I get in my new house, I will set it up CORRECTLY, but for now will just make so.

thanks for all your tips. The X1 is a great little machine, if you dont have one, get one, you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hokey_days
I correct the keystone to 50, and magically the letters from PC desktop were now clear (except for the upper right of the screeen, which is weird, i may update my 3.8 firmware and see if that corrects the proble,m, but not a big deal).

SO now I guess i will just use it with a "bent" side. I want it to be as clear as possible, and I kinda got used to the sides being out of whack just playing a little unreal tournament last night.

i was thinking of just flipping the projector over, but cant cause there are buttons on the top of the projector. When I get in my new house, I will set it up CORRECTLY, but for now will just make so.
Glad that fixed it! I don't think upgrading the firmware is going to fix that one corner though. You said you have a bent side... only one side? Not both sides equally? If not, then something is not aligned/centered between your projector and screen. And a soft corner can also indicate misalignment or that your screen is not flat and straight. Try moving the projector sideways while pointing at your screen and see if you can get both sides to bend in the same amount.

As for flipping your projector, you don't need to access those buttons on top very often at all... just to upgrade the firmware really. All the other functions are available on the remote or in the menus.

Enjoy your gaming!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.