AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trick with analog input Digital projectors, is to scale the image to as high a frequency (horizontal x vertical) as possible - or in this case, to as high a pixel density as possible. Then, let the PJ scale it back down. In this way, you get the benefit of the best interpolation that the Radeon chipped ATI cards can provide---maximum signal quality transfer of the signal--and then maximum grade of downscaling by the pixelworks chip.

The trick is getting around the 1024x768 maximum that the Infocus folks have instituted in the x1 software. (as recognized by windows!)

The image looks NOTICEABLY better than either 800x600, or 1024x768 resolutions. NOTICEABLY...and well worth the effort of getting set up at that frequency.

Give it a shot.....

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Ken, won't that distort the aspect ratio of the movie?

1280x768 is 15:9, not 16:9. Close, but not quite right. 16:9 would be 1280x720. Setting the X1 to either 4:3 or 16:9 will distort the movie, no?

An even higher resolution, 1280x1024, is also possible as mentioned in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...67#post2735867

but again that is neither 4:3 nor 16:9, it is 5:4. So it would also end up distorting the movie.

Are there settings in any of the popular software DVD players to correct that kind of distortion? I don't have anything fancy myself.

p.s. I'm ignoring the question about the benefit or loss of scaling twice. That has been covered before here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95#post2262495

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It won't distort the image ratio,as the projector rescales the given frame to meet the 4:3 panel that it possesses..the 800x600 DMD panel.

what that means, is that with a 4800 firmware upgrade, for example.... up to 1600x1200 is available.

As for it being mentioned before, I am the original proponent for scaling to high rez... on this forum, at least (nearly 4 years ago now?). This is something I noticed when playing with very highly modified CRT projectors and other wacky gear(modded and tricked HTPC's), for months and months on end.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Would setting Powerstrip to 1280x768 work the same way instead of using the 4800 Firmware or must you have the 4800 firmware to take advantage of this scaling?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
The image looks NOTICEABLY better than either 800x600, or 1024x768 resolutions. NOTICEABLY...and well worth the effort of getting set up at that frequency.
I'm not doubting you Ken, but conventional wisdom has always been that it's best to scale/process/convert the source image as few times as possible. I'm struggling to understand the technical reasons why the image quality would be improved using this method. The only thing that comes to mind is that there is either a deficiency in the onboard scaler of the X1 or in the software player (and associated components) you're using on the PC side.

I always achieved the best results on my HS10 using the PC to scale the image to the native panel res, and bypassing the PJ's onboard scaler altogether. Obviously the X1 is different for some reason.

--Scott

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
So for people inputting from an HTPC for DVD playback... what do you recommend? Use Powerstrip to create a custom timing for that rez and then let the projector scale it back down? Or just output at 800x600 and let the projector handle the rest?

-MP

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
bump

anybody know if powerstrip would accomplish the same thing as the 4800 firmware?
From my limted testing here , I found that both the X1 and the SP4800 firmware accepted the same resolutions. So if you can get Powerstrip to output that resolution, it should work on your X1.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For poor transfer or poor quality DVD, the scaling done by the PJ will look better as it softens the image very slightly (kinda like 1080i into your PJ) covering up imperfections and jaggies. For good transfer like Monster, Inc, IMHO native resolution is best to avoid extra scaling. Some people prefer this softer imaging or "film-like" while others prefer razor sharp imaging. You just have to try to see if you like it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
FYI:

I ran Powerstrip on 1280x768 and I could immediately see the improvement. It is huge! KBK knows what he is talking about. Problem is that I lost most of my desktop. I only saw a small portion of my desktop. Is this a driverproblem? How do you fix this?

Huey, I don't know why and I don't know how, but the difference is absolutely enormous! Picture Quality at zooming on photograhs is nothing short of spectacular! Far superior than 1024x768 on the X1.

Anybody with Powerstrip skills, please let me know what setting is required to prevent serious cropping at 1280x768. I am using a Radion all-in-wonder 7500 if that matters which I doubt, since Powerstrip essentially commands the video display.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Edward, which version of the Cat drivers? There are some ways to get around overscan. You can take the advice in Karnis' thread in the HTPC section and go from there. There's also a couple of posts in the Powerstrip forums about how to declare active pixels for a true desktop area. Essentially you do a rez within a rez. Many people run their desktop at one setting and DVDs at another. Theatertek can be run with a command line switch to automatically switch to the desired resolution when launched.

-MP

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I would argue that an HTPC is superior because of the image cleanup you can do. For instance, rather than have your graphics card scale the image in this case I'd likely use FFDShow to do the scaling as a post-processor and apply some denoise, etc; A lot of people feel that FFDshow is going to do a better scaling job than your graphics drivers will. You have a lot of image manipulation available in an HTPC that you lack in a STB.

-MP

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Heh, sorry! The Catalyst driver version. Everyone calls the Cat drivers. The latest is 3.7 I believe.

-MP

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You mean for the ATI 7500 All in Wonder card? They are pretty old. I need to update everything.... I just haven't got around to it yet. Would that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
It certainly can, yes. Make sure your PS is up to date as well.

-MP

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.