AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Infocus X1 that's developed an annoying image aberration. The top left edge of the projected image is "browning". It looks like a cigarrette burn and is especially noticable when viewing lighter/white images. It's been getting darker over the last few weeks.

My bulb has only 600 hours on it.

I've done the prescribed maintenance from the manual. (cleaning the bulb screens) and also the bulb lense, and color wheel which I learned about here. Also cleaned the main lense on the front of the projector.

Anyone else ever have this problem with an X1? Any ideas on how to eliminate this issue?

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
dust blob on DMD panel. Needs BJ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huey,

Thanks for the quick response. Can you or someone else be specific as to what I should do? Can I access the DMD board to clean it? Where's the DMD board exactly?

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Do a search on dust blob theres a what to do thread somewhere in here on it. I first tried using a blow drier on the side vent, which worked. Course that could also make it worse, course you could just keep using air on it. But removing lens and opening x1 is the total solution, and then using canned air on dmd chip is the real answer.

I need to do this as well if I find the link Ill post it in here for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=dust+blob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did the dust-blob cleaning routine, and absolutely nothing changed with my image yellowing on the upper left edge.

Strange thing is that my darker projected images look fine. It' the whiter/lighter ones that have the dimming/yellowing/browning ugliness on the edge. Seems like the dust-blob issue affects dark images more usually?

I cleaned my color wheel on both sides too so my projected images is brighter with better colors except that now the bad edge sticks out even more because of the contrast.

Any other ideas on this? There's got to be something else I can clean... ?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
color wheel?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Time for eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my x2 projector. It is a "browning" along the right side of the image, maybe 10% of the image. It is brownish black with a yellow edge. It started all of the sudden, maybe a week ago. ~1000 hrs on the bulb.

I've tried the dust blob fix but no success there.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
i'm gessing a peeled or flaking on the glass part of the bulb shield

have you removed the lamp housing to check that out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bulb shield is fine on mine, but I like that train of thought. Seems like something is diminishing the brightness near the edge. I'm about to give up and send mine (150 miles) in for service.

I think there's something dirty in between the color wheel and DMD panel that is affecting the light intensity near the edge. Though I have cleaned the color wheel on both sides and the mirror located near the lenses too.

Anyone know what's right behind the color wheel on an X1? Other ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bulb shield is fine on mine as well. Looks good as new. I am not looking forward to having to send mine in for service, especially with football season opening this week!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
SUCCESS!! (at least for the moment)

Well, after dissecting my X2, I found the problem. There is a glass, rectangular tube, sort of a light path that sits between the color wheel and the mirror. The tube is actually made of four mirrored-glass plates glued together, and on my projector, one of the glue joints appeared burned, and one side of the tube had slipped into the light path, hence causing the nasty yellow-brown "Burn" in my image. When I removed the tube, it basically fell apart in my hand, and it wasn't something I would've been able to glue and feel comfortable about.

Luckily, I had my old X1 in a box in the attic, so I opened it up to see if it had the same tube. It did, so I did a bit of a switcheroo. After putting everything back together, my X2 fired up with a clean image!! Hopefully nothing will explode in the next 48 hrs or so!!

Obviously if you don't have an old X1 lying around, this isn't going to do you much good, but at least we know what is causing the problem. I would be curious to know how often this crops up. The little glass pieces seemed quite flimsy to me.

If anyone is interested, I have pics of the broken part as well as where it is in the projector. Let me know and I can post them.

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent my X1 in for service and the technician told me that the "light channel" was collapsing, just as Michael decribed his problem. I asked the tech if it could be glued and he said the entire optical engine needed to be replaced. And that he'd seen this several times before as the part is "flimsy" as manufactured.

My X1 is still under warranty, but it definitely concerns me about the quality of this light channel. Hopefully the part has been upgraded by Infocus and the new one will hold up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.