AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Infocus X1 bulb exploded at 1100 hours - leaving me half deaf and in the dark - has any one had this happen and did they get any where with infocus to help pay for a new one.

part 2 I would like to make a cable to allow me to run S video and component 480i to the 7 pin connector so I dont have to change the plug to go between s and component. Has any one tried this , what happens if I have both active ??

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Were you able to check whether it damaged other internal 'organs'?

At 1100 hours, the bulb had gone way beyond its warranty. However if there are other damages, I'm sure they're covered by the pj warranty.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I doubt you will get anywhere trying to get Infocus to help pay for a new bulb. Lamps have their own warranty, I believe 90 days. At any rate, whatever the warranty was on the lamp, you are past it. It can't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I haven't heard of anybody trying to make a cable like that, but I think it should work since they are all seperate wires.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The pressure inside these UHP Mercury lamps is greater than 200 atmospheres. I'm not surprised they are loud when they fail. Did the outer reflector fail also, or just the inner burner element? I'd be concerned about Mercury if the outer part didn't contain the framents.

I would hope the projector manufacturers would move to Xenon for environmental reasons among others.

Xenon Benefits

·
Registered
312 Posts
Since there has been tons of discussion concerning the proper way to power off the X1, I would like to know how you turned yours off.

Do a hard shutdown on the unit itself, allowing the bulb to cool naturally WITHOUT the fan.

OR

Soft shutdown using the remote and allowing the fan to cool the bulb.

thanks!

patrick

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesL
The pressure inside these UHP Mercury lamps is greater than 200 atmospheres. I'm not surprised they are loud when they fail. Did the outer reflector fail also, or just the inner burner element? I'd be concerned about Mercury if the outer part didn't contain the framents.

I would hope the projector manufacturers would move to Xenon for environmental reasons among others.

Xenon Benefits
Aren't Xenon lamps more dangerous because the pressure is always high even when the lamp is cold? I tried looking up UHP lamps on the internet, but couldn't find much about them. Does anyone know what the internal pressure is when the lamp is cold?

gian, were you sitting close to the projector when the lamp burst? Are your ears okay now?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
have you ever cleaned the lamp?

I clean mine every 50 - 100 hours.

James

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcebedo1
have you ever cleaned the lamp?

I clean mine every 50 - 100 hours.

James

James, do you clean the lamp itself, or the lamp filters, every 50 -100 hours?

Regards, Barry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cleaned the screens on the side of the bulb about once a month.

The outer shell of the lamp seams to be intact and no other damage visible. There is a little more fine dust around the lamp housing than normal, a good bang may have loosened extra dust .

The unit is only shut down with the remote and is in stand by the rest of the time. I only turn it on when I know it will stay on for at least an hour usually much longer.

I am still interested what will happen if I put both an S video and a 480i component signal into the s video port at the same time. The menu /auto signal selector see them both as video input 2.

For the record I have a Progressive scan DVD form samsung but it looks much better using the 480i component input than the 480p progressive scan input. I also have a sat dish which is best in s video but I run it in composite because I feel changing the plug will wear out the unit and is not easy to do with the unit mounted on the ceiling .

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gian
The unit is only shut down with the remote and is in stand by the rest of the time.
interesting.

with all the x1s out there it will be interesting to see what happens with all the bulbs over time... maybe we can get some hard data once and for all on which power down method is "safer" (if there even really is a difference)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Xenons are, indeed, under high vacuum. They can explode very violently, too (implode would be more accurate, I suppose). They are, in fact, a glass anti-personel bomb, if not handled properly.

When they're changed in theatres, full-body protection is required. I'm not kidding. These are very large bulbs, compared to the teeny tiny lamps in our little machines, but our little lamps are very dangerous as well. That's one major reason why they have screens around them.

Theatre Xenon bulbs are from 2500-6000 watts. The 6K and up bulbs are used in IMAX theatres and in theatre DLP machines. 2500 or so watts is what's used for 35mm in your local multiplex. DLP machines in theatres require larger lamps to get 16 fl. on the screen (SMPTE standard for screen illumination) than does 35mm film .. about 3X as large, in fact.

One large disadvantage of Xenons is their much shorter life. 1200 hours is about max. with a Xenon. It's not a matter of wattage, it has to do with the life cycle of the electrodes and the physics involved in the lamp's operation. They also run -much- hotter than mercury lamps, requiring much more cooling air. Bigger hushboxes would definitely be required. :)

Ron Yost

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used to work in a Cinemark theatre.

Once, a crate with 10 xenon bulbs was stolen from the projection room, a fact that almost cost my best friend's job.

There were 6 4500 watt and 4 3500 watt lamps, with a total cost of R$37,000, roughly US$12,800 by today´s exchange.

So, I can assure you, they´re not that cheap. And I, for one, wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of handling them in my home. I have seen the protection suit the projection technician wears to change the bulbs, it is gigantic. And they come sealed inside a special hard plastic container, to make transport safe.

Plus, they have a housing of their own, behind the projector, the size of a refrigerator, with two fans blowing all the time. (I remember the fan died once, during the show, and to keep the last 15 minutes of film running, we used two carpet aspirators to suck air from the lamphouse, and one of them had some plastic parts melted...)

:)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
barry, i just clean the lamp filters

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcebedo1
barry, i just clean the lamp filters
Thanks for the clarifaction, after a week of ownership I'm about half-way to my first filter cleaning!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
My brother just was telling me that his X1 was "flickering" so I told him to power it down and let it cool for a while. Has anyone had this happen and what could be some solutions or a reason for the flickering? Just so I can help him "debug" this issue or find out what to do. I think he said he has around 1000 hours on it.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The flickering is probably the arc in the bulb moving around and repositioning in an unstable way. Since the bulb is obviously out of warranty at 1000 hours, I think the best he can do is keep using it and hope that it settles down and stablizes on its own with a bit more use.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: flicker

-- I hadn't cleaned my bulb filter until recently -- and had some flickering going on. I'll need to check it more frequently as it the filter was almost blocked [and I don't want to think about the hours I've taken off of the lamp due to that lack of cleaning!] -- the flicker is gone now.

Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpilon
Re: flicker

-- I hadn't cleaned my bulb filter until recently -- and had some flickering going on. I'll need to check it more frequently as it the filter was almost blocked [and I don't want to think about the hours I've taken off of the lamp due to that lack of cleaning!] -- the flicker is gone now.

I'll have to check my filter as well. I've only run my unit for

·
Registered
807 Posts
check your cabling too -- this may sound silly but unplug/replug everything.

-M.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.