AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help troubleshooting the component input of my infocus X1. I have tried to hook my Xbox and My Panasonic DVD/VHS combo to my Infocus X1. The Xbox is using a Xbox high definition av pack in order to provide Y Pr and Pb Outputs. My Panasonic DVD Player only Outputs High Definition when playing a DVD and not when playing a VHS or Cable Television.

When i plug either my Xbox or my DVD unit into the Infocus X1... The Infu]ocus does not find the Video Signal and continues to search for one.

The Infocus X1 has a VGA to Component Adapter going into the Computer In port. I made sure to select the infocus source as Computer. I have tried two different cables.

I also attempted to verify that the RCA cables are working. I Did this by plugging in the Y(Component[green]) output of the Xbox into the Yellow Composite input of the Infocus X1. I did this for each cable and every time i got an image sync on the Infocus X1 but it was in Black and White every time.

Is it normal to see Black and White when connecting Green Component to Yellow Composite?

When i Connect my laptop to the Infocus X1 via a 15pin VGA to VGA cable it works just fine. This makes me think that the Infocus is fine and that the Xbox and DVD player are fine. The only thing that i have not tried to test is the VGA to Component Adapter.

What is the Pin out of a VGA to Component Adapter?

What other troubleshooting techniques can i try?

Is there a way to verify the output of my two devices?

I would like to take my multimeter and verify that all the pins are connected and that i don't have an open circuit in the adapter.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

· Registered
254 Posts
Try this: plug the green into the yellow to get the black and white, and with no dvd or game in the drive in the XBOX, go to settings and enable 480p,720p and 1080i, this is in Microsofts settings screen that pops up if you don't have anything in the drive when you power on. DO that then rehook up and you will be fine.

· Registered
5,604 Posts
Squintz, your DVD player must be progressive scan in order to get an image from the VGA out. InFocus provides a special s-video type adapter (not 4-pin) for component use on the X1, try that. A progressive scan player will give you better colors.

· Registered
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
A progressive scan player will give you better colors.
A progressive scan player will NOT necessarily give you better colors.! Color has nothing to do with progressive scan whatsoever.

Admittedly, some players give better color than others and some of those might be progressive scan. But that is just a coincidence.

The X1 has a fantastic onboard de-interlacer that rivals most proprietary deinterlacers found in budget players. the Faroudja DCDi will outperform most lower end de-interlacers on the market. Many people have found that interlaced feeds actually look better than deinterlaced feeds on the X1.

There are many threads on this in the projectors forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=68

Search on [x1] progressive and set the search to crawler

· Registered
5,604 Posts
Perhaps I am getting the X1's s-video pins confused with merely the improvement of s-video to component. Component video is better than s-video. You're much more likely to get a better picture with progressive component as component has an advantage over S-video regardless. The DVD electronics would have to be awful in order to defeat this advantage.

· Registered
911 Posts
Yes component IS better than svideo because it splits the picture information into three channels while svideo only splits it into two and as a result component connections should provide better color.

BUT component sources can be interlaced or not (480p or 480i)

The de-interlated 480p (progressive) has "interpolated" information to make up the missing information between the alternate scan lines in a 480i signal. Progressive scan is a way to display an image that has full frame information (a 480p signal for example). This provides, in effect, a doubling of the refresh rate which creates a smoother / sharper image.

Traditional scan techniques refresh the even numbered lines on one pass and the odd ones on the next based on an interlaced signal (480i for example)

· Registered
5,604 Posts
Colin, would a line quadrupler be a benefit or waste with a X1 or 4800?

· Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Colin, would a line quadrupler be a benefit or waste with a X1 or 4800?
Quadrupler or scaler - won't buy you much even when you feed it a native 800 * 600 signal. The differences are not that great at this level. I tried the svideo feed directly to the X1 ((IBM IVL-300) from a Denon 1600 and also tried the Denon 1600 component (both 480i and 480p) to a FE CS-1 and then RGBHV to the X1. HDTV 720P and 1080i fed directly into the X1 looks fantastic. Since the X1 is a relatively inexpensive PJ, it is unlikely folks will be buying scalers to use with this unit. I have since sold my X-1 (IBM OEM) to my sister. I have it hooked up using all Svideo that is switched via a Panasonic XR25 receiver. This way I can always feed it an interlaced signal. The Faroudja procesor in the X-1 does the rest. Looks pretty good to me.

· Registered
911 Posts
HTGuy,

I'm not certain but I believe that the scaler AND the deinterlacer are bypassed when a video source is fed through the VESA port. As a result, if you want to proportionally downscale a computer image within a 16:9 screen a scaler (quadrupler) may be of use. I don't know if this is something you need to do. I don't.

From what I have read, outboard scalers are not cheap (in comparison to the X1) so the benefit for the cost may not be there. If you are using an HTPC you should be able to do the scaling with it.

· Registered
5,604 Posts
Eric and Colin, much thanks for the knowledge. Colin, I am seriously looking into a HTPC, I have heard it makes the image incredible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.