AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still under the impression that dollar for dollar you can get more by buying a CRT projector versus buying a DLP projector. Can I buy a CRT projector for $1600 USD brand new or with very low hours that will be better than the Infocus X1 Dlp projector that goes for $1600 usd brand new?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
new,forget about it!!!!used you can find a very nice unit for that price...do some searches for curt palme and get on his email list he sends out and you will find you a nice crt.

brickie

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
No doubt CRT. I've seen enough digitals to know they just aren't up to CRT standard yet...even a lower priced one. For $1,600 you can get a good 8" unit, they all throw a better picture than DLP

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I also agree that CRT will give you better blacks, more contrast and a more three dimensional image. But the gap is closing fast - one thing digital will give you is perfect convergence 100% of the time (at least dlp will) for a razor sharp image.

Here is a review posted today comparing the Infocus X1 to a very high end CRT projector, by someone who owns both of them:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=199379

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
We have number of basic DLP projectors here at work for presentations. They work great for powerpoint and so on. I've tried a couple at home on my screen with nothing but awful results -- and I mean unwatchable nasty stuff. But then again these were $4K - $5K unmodded DLP units.

Night and day difference between my barco and any of the digital boxes.

- Rick

·
Registered
507 Posts
before my BG800 and although the Infocus was very good, it was like looking at a water color, while the Barco Graphic's picture is an oil painting-deep, rich colors. DLPs are alot easier to set up and main though:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.